kanaric
kanaric Dork
10/9/14 12:46 a.m.

RWD, 4G63T, rally heritage. The one on the bottom makes me seriously want to import one. I like 80s boxy cars like this a lot.

From what i've read these are very similar mechanically and parts wise to a Starion, just significantly lighter and a sedan.

nboyles85737
nboyles85737 New Reader
10/9/14 2:50 a.m.

looks pretty sweet, however werent mitsu engines known for blowing up a lot?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/9/14 5:55 a.m.

Cool, But it's not the same engine that you are thinking of. It is different from the DSM/EVO motors. This has the 8V version and the head ports are different.

You can probably get a DOHC Turbo to fit but you would still need to build an intake manifold.

Cool car and yet another reason Mitsubishi NA are a bunch of idiots for never selling the best parts of their lineups in North America.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/9/14 9:09 a.m.

Getting to pass saftey/emission regs would have been too expensive for the amount of cars they would have sold. Thank the EPA and NHTSA for saving us....

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/9/14 9:44 a.m.

There's 3 that were imported into WA and I believe he is selling a black one for 6 or 7k.

And I have an uncle in the Philippines holding one for me until I'm ready to get it imported (AKA until I move OUT of California). But it's an 1800ex turbo.

edit: http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21832

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/9/14 10:32 a.m.

After 25 y/o, the EPA and NHTSA have no say. Import away. Right now anything 1989 and older are open to import. :)

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
10/9/14 1:15 p.m.

Looks like a Renault GTA a little. Never heard of it before.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
10/9/14 1:28 p.m.

I read the title and was seriously worried I was walking into some sort of Rallyart variant of a 9 year lancer. This is MUCH better. I do love me some 80s box. Uhh..... Boxy cars that is.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/9/14 1:37 p.m.

I've never seen these before but I like em a lot. 4G63 powered would indeed make for a cool car. A quick google search showed me several rally examples and one with the 4G63 swapped in!

kanaric
kanaric Dork
10/9/14 6:14 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: Cool, But it's not the same engine that you are thinking of. It is different from the DSM/EVO motors. This has the 8V version and the head ports are different. You can probably get a DOHC Turbo to fit but you would still need to build an intake manifold. Cool car and yet another reason Mitsubishi NA are a bunch of idiots for never selling the best parts of their lineups in North America.

oh I know it's not the same, it's a SOHC version.

mattmacklind wrote: Looks like a Renault GTA a little. Never heard of it before.

From what I understand they have a large cult following overseas.

this car in Japan came with a 4G62T a sohc 1.8l engine. The Euro ones came with the 4G63.

They have TBI like a Starion. Apparently they are easy to swap an early DOHC 4G63T.

If I had one I would have no problem keeping the TBI and stock engine. Maybe put larger injectors and a 16G in and call it a day. Would probably be as quick as the rally versions at that point that had 280hp.

nboyles85737 wrote: looks pretty sweet, however werent mitsu engines known for blowing up a lot?

The overseas engines didn't have the same head treatment. The heads were known for cracking due to emissions equipment on them. With a "JDM" or "EUDM" car you don't have that.

This seems like something that should of been badge engineered by Chrysler at the very least. They imported the previous lancer, the Arrow, Colt, among other car names they used.

yupididit
10/9/14 6:49 p.m.

From my experience with mitsubishi i4 turbo engines, they are not prone to blowing up at all. They are prone to owners who like jacking up the boost and driving the piss out of it withoutthe necessary mods.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
10/9/14 6:53 p.m.
yupididit wrote: From my experience with mitsubishi i4 turbo engines, they are not prone to blowing up at all. They are prone to owners who like jacking up the boost and driving the piss out of it withoutthe necessary mods.

Well these SOHC old engines had like what's called a Jet Valve in the head and they were known for causing the heads to crack. This is USDM only.

Regular heads are known to be just fine. People used to just import foreign heads and replace their with them. My dad had Mitsubishi where he just put a JDM engine in because of it. Car was unmodded i was his commuter car. This was the 80s too.

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
10/9/14 7:26 p.m.

I'd definitely drive one. That's an awesome looking little box

nboyles85737
nboyles85737 New Reader
10/9/14 8:47 p.m.

ahh, got it. damn emissions!!

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
10/9/14 10:52 p.m.

You and me both.

yupididit
10/10/14 1:10 a.m.

Ah yeah jet valves were issues in the g54 too. Balance shafts are known to wreck havoc on a mitsu engine too.

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
10/11/14 3:05 p.m.

Owners were buttheads who ignored their MECHANIC

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mHIQQpRyagIPrqlYCKD9803BLeyTW3vsBGPXYaQmTz48gfMojsYzdUiif5i2CngL