1 2 3 4
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/11/19 9:30 p.m.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
3/11/19 10:12 p.m.

Just bought this sweet truck with just over 100K miles.  Getting shipped to me from Washington State!  Going to redo the gray with Wimbledon White!

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/11/19 10:16 p.m.

In reply to maj75 :

I’ve got the 97 f250 7.3 twin to that truck. Bought it last year with 112k. I love it. Would love to have those step sides though. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/12/19 1:43 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

I'm a dyed in the wool Ford guy,  but the Chevys do it better in this case.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/12/19 5:00 a.m.

This is the perfect scheme for a 1983 Toyota pickup. 2018-19 GM? Maybe but I doubt it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/12/19 5:55 a.m.

I'm torn on trucks like this.  Part of me really likes them, but were I to actually buy a newer truck I'd want it to be as practical as possible and that precludes any sort of lift kit or large tires that would make bed access more difficult.  For a pure "toy", I'd rather take the same amount of $$$ and pour it into restoring/upgrading a late 70's Ford.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
3/12/19 6:00 a.m.

Nope, sorry.  Not for me.  Once a brodozer, always a brodozer.   The photo in the first post is 100% pure brodozer, regardless of the paint.  Definitely don't like it.  Some of the others posted here, without the lift kit and wheels, aren't bad....they're truly like trucks of old.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/12/19 7:28 a.m.

Our neighbors who always spent every single paycheck in full bought a fully decked F150.  If Ford had it as an option they checked the box.  It had the chrome light bar and KC Dayliters.  Massive tires for the day (they’d probably just look normal today).  Seems I recall it had an overhead console too.  The first I’d ever seen that.  This was 1979.  Mom nearly fainted when dad told her he’d heard it stickered for $12k.  I don’t know.  That seems high for a ‘79 150.  But I remember it well.  Wish I had a picture of it.

For me anyway, it was the Fall Guy truck that always made me feel funny inside.  Officer John on “CHiPs” had a really cool GMC step box too.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/12/19 8:15 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

For me anyway, it was the Fall Guy truck that always made me feel funny inside.  Officer John on “CHiPs” had a really cool GMC step box too.

There was also the GMC that Jim Rockford's dad drove on the Rockford Files.

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
3/12/19 8:21 a.m.
jamscal said:

I think we've reached peak dozer.

This must come with coupons for free Punisher tattoos

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
3/12/19 8:56 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

This is the perfect scheme for a 1983 Toyota pickup. 2018-19 GM? Maybe but I doubt it.

I like it. I think it works. The Desert Fox was an actual trim package back in the 70’s hence the Squarebody in the back ground. 

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
3/12/19 9:01 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

What is old is new again laugh

The only thing that makes me sad about that new Tacoma, was that it was an automatic. Other than that, Toyota knocked it out of the park with that. They even made a custom tailgate so they could put the old school “TOYOTA” decal on it. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
3/12/19 9:03 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

Two tone paint jobs need to make a comeback in a big way. 

Also, interiors with colors. The blue and red interiors on the GMT-400s were great. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/12/19 9:09 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

I completely disagree that the Ford in the first post is a brodozer. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
3/12/19 9:18 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

In reply to Klayfish :

I completely disagree that the Ford in the first post is a brodozer. 

Me too. That's just a classically styled truck. Brodozers have hideous wheels (usually with a lot of star motifs for some reason), wacky tube/plate bumpers, a mesh/plate grille (usually with a star or skull motif), oversized exhaust tips, LED lightbars everywhere, and frequently a larger lift in the front than the rear (or even no lift in the rear)

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
3/12/19 9:27 a.m.

On the Bro Dozer note, I work in the diesel performance industry, and the biggest thing that gets me worked up is stretched tires, especially when towing.  Some kids I know have passed away from that. 

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
3/12/19 9:31 a.m.

Love the retro look on all the trucks.  The wagon and rally wheels on the Chevys really look good to me though.

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson New Reader
3/12/19 10:36 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

But this retro setup on a new F350 is so reminiscent of growing up in the country. I knew guys who had 80’s Fords and Chevys decked out like this 20+ years ago. It just works well with that body style. I’d actually be ok with this becoming a thing again. 

Single cab long bed, you don't see those too much anymore.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
3/12/19 11:44 a.m.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/12/19 11:53 a.m.

For the price of a new retro truck....you could buy a stunning example of the old truck its trying to copy. Seriously, new truck prices boggle the mind, especially when you get into anything not base model.

Also gotta admit.....single cabs dont really float my boat anymore, room for stuff thats locked up is nice

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/12/19 12:06 p.m.
rustybuckets said:
jamscal said:

Nice.

The thing that gets me, looking at that truck, is that an actual adult drives that. No kid has the money for that truck. Someone that's probably in their 30s is going to be getting in that and driving it and they aren't horrified by the thought. I would be so embarrassed. And I've driven some ridiculous vehicles and loved it! But that thing? Forget about it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/12/19 12:18 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I guess... while it's not my thing now, it once was a long time ago - so I "get it".  Those guys would look at my MINI Cooper S or any of my LBC's and think the same thing.  Different stroke, man... 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
3/12/19 1:15 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

In addition to it looking hideous to me, even if I DID want to drive it, there's just too many stereotypes that go along with that truck lol. 

I dunno - I've driven a Civic Si (BOY RACER!) for the past 5-6 years and I have a c5 (mid-life crisis/geriatric-mobile!) now so I guess there's plenty of stereotypes that don't affect me lol

NickD
NickD UberDork
3/12/19 1:24 p.m.
dculberson said:
rustybuckets said:
jamscal said:

Nice.

The thing that gets me, looking at that truck, is that an actual adult drives that. No kid has the money for that truck.

Not necessarily. Some kid's parent could have the money and just give their kid what they want. Working at a GM dealer, I see 20 year old kids with lifted DuraMaxes and high-zoot Sierras with lift kits and wheels and LED lightbars.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
3/12/19 1:35 p.m.

I think the lift is a little high on the F350 originally posted but still far from a brodozer. It doesn't have the rear 'squat', it actually has sidewall on the tires, no LED's thrown everywhere underneath, and the wheels aren't entirely outside of the body.

Real brodozers are so, so much worse then the truck in the first post

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NWa9R94yHcJq7EPS7mCl5Om9JOfsn7i1NUjy54LR0T09Xs8qZ9kaSg8iXNBbzoQL