1 2 3 4
bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
3/12/19 1:37 p.m.

The part that kills me is that truck was super nice before someone threw an insane amount of money at it and made it awful.  Seriously, you could buy a pretty nice car with the money used to make that truck so much worse.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
3/12/19 1:44 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

This is the perfect scheme for a 1983 Toyota pickup. 2018-19 GM? Maybe but I doubt it.

GM had a Desert Fox edition in the 70s,  so they’re just bringing it back.  I’ve been looking for an old Desert Fox edition k5 for a long time.  They’re hard to find.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
3/12/19 1:56 p.m.

I came into this thread thinking of one thing and walked away with a desire to wrap my truck.

I also want to coin the term before it gets trade marked

POST RETRO

catchy, right?

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
3/12/19 2:15 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

I don't feel the newer Fords can pull off the retro look as well as the Chevies. 

Disagree. 

The Ford has more natural lines to follow.  The top of the two tone strip aligns with the top of the headlights, and follows that character line back.  The bottom of the two tone aligns with the lower body crease, and terminates perfectly in line with the bottom of the taillight.  

The Chevy is way more forced.  They're shoving a '70's squarebody-esque two tone section that neither aligns with headlights or taillights, and which the front bumper cut line forces the bottom of the two tone to not line up with the line on the body side, or be so high as to be somewhat too skinny for the overall truck proportions.  You can see that each painter above approached this differently trying to make the best of a weird fitment since there isn't a natural breakpoint defined by the body itself.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/19 3:06 p.m.

I have better things to do than hate what someone else likes. All forms of modified vehicles make me smile. It doesn't matter if I like it as long as they do. 

Be less polarizing in life. You'll probably live longer. 

Edit: I'd drive any truck in this thread and get a kick out of it. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/12/19 3:23 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

I have better things to do than hate what someone else likes. All forms of modified vehicles make me smile. It doesn't matter if I like it as long as they do. 

Be less polarizing in life. You'll probably live longer. 

Edit: I'd drive any truck in this thread and get a kick out of it. 

Amen!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/12/19 3:24 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

I learned something today!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/12/19 3:28 p.m.

In my opinion, these were the zenith of full size trucks:

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
3/12/19 4:10 p.m.
NickD said:
Nick Comstock said:

Two tone paint jobs need to make a comeback in a big way. 

Also, interiors with colors. The blue and red interiors on the GMT-400s were great. 

My dad had 94 gmc k1500 sl ext cab long box. White with red interior 80/20 bench seat. Tbi 350 5 speed.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/12/19 6:24 p.m.

I fully admit to doing useless mods just for looks. I love 35s on a square body. So I lifted my 1986 GMC Sierra C1500 6" so they would fit. Absolutely useless, but I loved it. I'm not judging anyone for what they want to do to a vehicle.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/12/19 7:20 p.m.

Those look beautiful. I have a Tacoma. Its great, but I rather have a Raptor. Cant afford it. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/19 9:27 a.m.

I think both the Chevy and Ford would look better if they followed Ram and Toyota's example and blacked out the non-reflector parts of the headlights. Too much shiny!

D2W
D2W HalfDork
3/13/19 9:39 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

Then you are going to like my latest aquisition. Stayed tuned for the reveal.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/13/19 10:26 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

Etc

From a design and looks perspective I agree completely. From a function and use perspective they weren't even close. I owned one and loved it but they can't hold a candle to new trucks in real usability. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/13/19 11:17 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

I couldn’t agree more but I wouldn’t compare a W123 Mercedes against a 2019 Benz either. I think you’ll find many people saying the W123 was the last of the “good” Benz’s in the same way I put these trucks on a pedestal.

SPG123
SPG123 HalfDork
3/13/19 11:51 a.m.

I write this from the couch. Where I am medicated to diminish the pain my poor abused old body is in from being rear ended by a lifted Ram pickup two days ago. Guy was probably doing 45 and forgot where the brake pedal was. I was at a full stop. His bumper was a full six inches above mine. My body broke the seatbelt retractor. Airbag system was activated but bags did not deploy (WTH!). My advice is to not get hit by a lifted truck. In my currently medicated opinion, the OP Ford 80's treatment looks fantastic. The 70's treatment on the GM's is a near miss for me.    

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/13/19 12:00 p.m.

In reply to SPG123 :

That must’ve been a hell of an impact. You’re medicated so I’m guessing you sought professional help already. Hope you’re ok long term. Stuff like that effects people psychologically too.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/13/19 12:06 p.m.

In reply to SPG123 :

Do bags deploy in a rear end collision? I don't know. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/13/19 12:33 p.m.

In reply to SPG123 :

That sucks. I hope you feel better.

I suppose there is something to be said for PA's 30" bumper height regulation, although I'm not sure how well it is enforced these days. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/13/19 1:04 p.m.
SPG123 said:

His bumper was a full six inches above mine.

My body broke the seatbelt retractor. Airbag system was activated but bags did not deploy (WTH!).  

If seeking additional damages from the other guy, his bumper height may be actually illegal in some states.  That might be another arrow in your quiver for gross negligence charges on him.

No, air bags in wheel and dash only have sensors in the front bumper and therefore only activate in front impact.  Side airbags have sensors in the sides of the vehicle and only activate with side impact.  Your vehicle (not stated what it was) likely doesn't have air bag protection for rear impact. I'm not sure of any vehicle that has airbags for rear impact.    

SPG123
SPG123 HalfDork
3/13/19 1:20 p.m.

Sending sincere thanks!  I was in a brand new Buick Envision. I think the bags would have gone off but his bumper was well above the sensors. Strange though is that the service airbag and service side side detection system warning messages came on. Fuel pump did cut off and the seatbelt is stuck where it locked in the impact. Seatbelts keep you mostly in place but hella hurt my shoulder and ribs.  Best advice is to not get hit by a truck.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/13/19 1:48 p.m.

This was my buddies ‘73 - his second redo 12” lift kit involved custom welded shackles and 40” Ground Hawg mud tires along big with giant pipe bumpers with the centers lower for the law - never a body lift as those were for Bob Costas. 

One night we had some cocktails and we’re headed over to see a buddy on an icy road.  He sees I’m holding on and he starts laughing and pretends to fishtail to scare me only to throw it into a real fishtail that he corrects back and forth until we slow down.  At one point we’re going head on into another car.    We would have killed those people.   

We get to our buddies white as a ghost only to have a drink to calm our nerves. 

I’m surprised I survived my youth.   

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/13/19 4:51 p.m.
SPG123 said:

Sending sincere thanks!  I was in a brand new Buick Envision. I think the bags would have gone off but his bumper was well above the sensors. Strange though is that the service airbag and service side side detection system warning messages came on. Fuel pump did cut off and the seatbelt is stuck where it locked in the impact. Seatbelts keep you mostly in place but hella hurt my shoulder and ribs.  Best advice is to not get hit by a truck.

Jesus... glad you're on the couch and not in a hospital bed. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/19 5:09 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to ultraclyde :

I couldn’t agree more but I wouldn’t compare a W123 Mercedes against a 2019 Benz either. I think you’ll find many people saying the W123 was the last of the “good” Benz’s in the same way I put these trucks on a pedestal.

You mean W126 right?  W123 was too early to be the last of the good anything lol 

But, I get your point. You're right. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/19 5:15 p.m.

In reply to SPG123 :

Did he have one of those Ranch Hand bumpers to? I've seen those things go straight through smaller cars.

I heard trucks bumpers are designed in a way and height so that they can't monster truck over cars and that cars that rearend them can't go under the truck. To save from ripping roofs off of passenger areas.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dhRY6ZXeRhmneiSxWkwxXJlC3NT7UUiiPu8fVVGoaTr8z1FqOL2jxTSmiakFLfKH