1 2 3 4
chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/13/19 6:49 p.m.
ultraclyde said:
ebonyandivory said:

In my opinion, these were the zenith of full size trucks:

Etc

From a design and looks perspective I agree completely. From a function and use perspective they weren't even close. I owned one and loved it but they can't hold a candle to new trucks in real usability. 

True story.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
3/13/19 6:55 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to SPG123 :

Did he have one of those Ranch Hand bumpers to? I've seen those things go straight through smaller cars.

I heard trucks bumpers are designed in a way and height so that they can't monster truck over cars and that cars that rearend them can't go under the truck. To save from ripping roofs off of passenger areas.  

Seen that happen.

A cabbie wasn't paying attention and his bumper took out the rear axle on my buddy's not lifted but rolling on 31s Bronco II a number of years ago. Cabbie was actually ok. A little bruised but ok.

SPG123
SPG123 HalfDork
3/13/19 10:06 p.m.

Stock bumper on an 05ish Ram. It had big wheels and tires and about a 6" lift.  His bumper was heavily folded down and especially in the center like he hit a pole while the back of mine looked like a straight hit. His hood was strangely buckled in several places  ( at the latch especially)  My vehicle had a service airbag warning and side service side detection while no airbag went off and the impact was a direct hit to the rear. Ironically I have to drive my ex fire truck manual trans 86 f250 diesel to the orthopedic tomorrow. Should be fun with my right ankle in the air cast.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/19 11:04 p.m.

In reply to SPG123 :

I'm really sorry to hear about the wreck; here's my wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
3/14/19 8:20 a.m.
NickD said:
Nick Comstock said:

In reply to Klayfish :

I completely disagree that the Ford in the first post is a brodozer. 

Me too. That's just a classically styled truck. Brodozers have hideous wheels (usually with a lot of star motifs for some reason), wacky tube/plate bumpers, a mesh/plate grille (usually with a star or skull motif), oversized exhaust tips, LED lightbars everywhere, and frequently a larger lift in the front than the rear (or even no lift in the rear)

Maybe I'm just that strongly anti-dozer.  Lift kit...check.  Chrome show wheels...check.  Stickers on suspension/frame so everyone can see...check.  Giant light bar...check.  1+1+1+1 = brodozer for me.  The retro paint scheme tones it down a bit, but still is what it is. 

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
3/14/19 9:43 a.m.
ThurdFerguson said:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

But this retro setup on a new F350 is so reminiscent of growing up in the country. I knew guys who had 80’s Fords and Chevys decked out like this 20+ years ago. It just works well with that body style. I’d actually be ok with this becoming a thing again. 

Single cab long bed, you don't see those too much anymore.

This is so close....  Lose te vent at the end of the front fender, and move the bottom of the tail lights up from the bumper just enough to match the little bit of the gray wrapping around from the side, and get rid of that cut in on the bottom of the tail lights...

Re: The Chevy Silverados w/ retro paint schemes:

I read that the idea behind the styling of the just retired generation was to do a modern interpretation of the double light stack squared body C-10's.  Then the mid-cycle refresh gave it those "transformers" headlights.  But the body is a fantastic canvas for the retro paint schemes..

All I hope for is that then next generation of the full-size pickups try to get back to some better proportions then what is coming out now....  There is just so much vertical height in the bodies now.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
3/14/19 11:15 a.m.
Klayfish said:
NickD said:
Nick Comstock said:

In reply to Klayfish :

I completely disagree that the Ford in the first post is a brodozer. 

Me too. That's just a classically styled truck. Brodozers have hideous wheels (usually with a lot of star motifs for some reason), wacky tube/plate bumpers, a mesh/plate grille (usually with a star or skull motif), oversized exhaust tips, LED lightbars everywhere, and frequently a larger lift in the front than the rear (or even no lift in the rear)

Maybe I'm just that strongly anti-dozer.  Lift kit...check.  Chrome show wheels...check.  Stickers on suspension/frame so everyone can see...check.  Giant light bar...check.  1+1+1+1 = brodozer for me.  The retro paint scheme tones it down a bit, but still is what it is. 

Sorry, but that giant chrome light bar is very 80’s. Actually anything chrome in this day and age on a lifted truck is rare anymore. Everyone wants blacked out everything, including wheels. Those are the most tame wheels I’ve seen on a custom truck in a while, usually they’re ugly as hell. 

I think you’re just anti lifted trucks in general. Like I said in my intitial post, this is very reminiscent of where I grew up. 25 years ago I had a friend’s dad with a two tone standard cab long bed ‘88 F250 with a lift, oversized all terrains on aftermarket wheels. He had a chrome light bar just like that truck, with KC HiLiters and a chrome grille guard with two more HiLiters. 

This look is not a new look. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/14/19 11:21 a.m.

Boy am I glad I no longer have a tall/lifted Domestic pickup truck on ~40” mud tires. I’d almost feel too embarrassed to post questions and/or pictures of it here assuming I’d get E36 M3 for merely owning it from a good portion of the members (with obvious exceptions of course).

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/14/19 11:32 a.m.

If seeking additional damages from the other guy, his bumper height may be actually illegal in some states.  That might be another arrow in your quiver for gross negligence charges on him. 

I'm 100% in for this.  If I were a cop I wouldn't write speeding tickets.  I just sit there and ticket every knuckle dragging, mouth breather in a lifted truck with 10,000,000 watt LED 'depleted sun' light bars across the front.  They blind everyone they are following and everyone approaching them.  We complain about excessive laws in Europe, bud dammit, sometimes laws are not just needed, but need to be enforced.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/14/19 11:46 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

If seeking additional damages from the other guy, his bumper height may be actually illegal in some states.  That might be another arrow in your quiver for gross negligence charges on him. 

I'm 100% in for this.  If I were a cop I wouldn't write speeding tickets.  I just sit there and ticket every knuckle dragging, mouth breather in a lifted truck with 10,000,000 watt LED 'depleted sun' light bars across the front.  They blind everyone they are following and everyone approaching them.  We complain about excessive laws in Europe, bud dammit, sometimes laws are not just needed, but need to be enforced.

Yeah! They also really need to go after those damn kids in their lowered cars! Oh, wait...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/14/19 12:22 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I'm 100% in for this.  If I were a cop I wouldn't write speeding tickets.  I just sit there and ticket every knuckle dragging, mouth breather in a lifted truck with 10,000,000 watt LED 'depleted sun' light bars...

So when the LED light bars are turned off, these truck drivers I KNOW FOR A FACT you don’t know personally are no longer “knuckle dragging mouth breathers”?

You’re obviously just mad about bright lights? Is that it? 

I’m asking because I’m a married father of three and a nurse who cares for the intellectually disabled and I breathe through my nose most of the time and don’t often drag my knuckles. So I’m assuming I’d live up to your standards of being a good person until I put an LED light bar on my lifted truck?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/14/19 12:33 p.m.

Wow, I attempt some levity and people loose their E36 M3, maybe I should have added my normal 'Once I'm made benevolent dictator the the universe' tag to my comments to help people understand.  I thought I was the liberal snowflake around here.

Sorry, low cars aren't that unsafe, especially as once lowered to 'stance bro' altitude they can't maneuver fast enough to be a menace.  Light bars, and to an extent lifted (especially 6+" lift and massive tires/rimz) trucks are a very real safety hazard.  I've seen many who feel the need to have their depleted suns on all day, even after they've defeated their day time running lights.  They are a very real threat to road safety when people they are following, and those coming towards them, can not see safely due to being blinded by excessively bright light.  Let's not even start on the dynamics of 12" lift plus 40 series 22-24-26" rims with offset so the wheels are completely outside the body.  Sorry, that should be, and probably is illegal.  It should not be tolerated on the road.  IF you think that's OK and drive a vehicle like that then  yes I put you in the metaphorical knuckle dragging mouth breather camp. 

I've nothing against the retro themed trucks that started this thread, but what I'm referring to is a safety issues and shouldn't be on the road.  If they have these lights and genuinely don't use them until off road, or on a twisty no traffic road at night, then fine.  But to most people, fitting them means they are turned or regardless on the affect to others.  

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/14/19 12:47 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

Im afraid you’re confused. I have yet to see anyone “loose” their E36 M3 here. In addition, you’ve mislabeled those who disagree with you as being liberal snowflakes (a term which is the very definition of trite at this point but I digress). My definition of liberal snowflake would be a person that makes derogatory blanket assumptions about people they’ve never met  .

Liberal snowflakes are perfectly happy to make value judgements with absolutely no facts or even the slightest bit of familiarity with those he or she passed judgment on. They also have no problem dictating who and what “should not be tolerated” and certainly don’t mind forcing their opinions on others.

And for future reference, I’d recommend you take it easy on the on-line name calling. Not a good look in my opinion 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/14/19 1:17 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

OK, I had no intention of heading down this path.  No offense meant.

I was jokingly pointing the liberal snowflake at myself.  Happy lives all.  Adrian out.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Iz0o1IxbLFIlHUF3DdJ73oYQMbq7FkOJ5UEZTgeAyyfGad9rMPeUbNtrxYBzJqGV