1 2 3
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/23 6:20 p.m.
buzzboy said:
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) said:
11110000 said:

Am I wrong in thinking that a Bronco used for "Bronco Things" would be better suited to an auto anyway?  Crawling a nasty trail is often easier with a fluid drive slipping and keeping some torque at the wheels.

The people are doing it wrong!

Your not wrong, technical offroading is definitely easier in an auto. Bronco things (or jeep things) also means cruising down unimproved dirt roads w/ the top down. That is perfect for a manual. 

Between the supra getting a stick, the 2nd gen 86, the new GR corolla, the new Taco keeping a manual and the potential (rumors, we'll see) for the new 4runner to bring back a manual, Toyota has sneakily become an enthusiast brand for the masses again.

That and driving in snow/ice. With the same tires I have a harder time driving in snow in my landlord's auto Taco vs my manual Jeep. Easier to modulate wheel slip.

That is the part that gets me when people say you are lacking skill if you get stuck on ice or deep snow, with an automatic.

What does skill have to do with it if the tires start spinning even before you are fully off of the brake?  No amount of throttle control will help you if you're digging holes before you even touch the throttle...

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/25/23 8:56 p.m.

I sure wish I could buy a base level Integra with a manual trans.  I just cannot see spending the additional $5k to move up to the top spec to get a MT.

wae
wae PowerDork
8/25/23 9:03 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
buzzboy said:
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) said:
11110000 said:

Am I wrong in thinking that a Bronco used for "Bronco Things" would be better suited to an auto anyway?  Crawling a nasty trail is often easier with a fluid drive slipping and keeping some torque at the wheels.

The people are doing it wrong!

Your not wrong, technical offroading is definitely easier in an auto. Bronco things (or jeep things) also means cruising down unimproved dirt roads w/ the top down. That is perfect for a manual. 

Between the supra getting a stick, the 2nd gen 86, the new GR corolla, the new Taco keeping a manual and the potential (rumors, we'll see) for the new 4runner to bring back a manual, Toyota has sneakily become an enthusiast brand for the masses again.

That and driving in snow/ice. With the same tires I have a harder time driving in snow in my landlord's auto Taco vs my manual Jeep. Easier to modulate wheel slip.

That is the part that gets me when people say you are lacking skill if you get stuck on ice or deep snow, with an automatic.

What does skill have to do with it if the tires start spinning even before you are fully off of the brake?  No amount of throttle control will help you if you're digging holes before you even touch the throttle...

For the Bronco, they did at least give it a really low gear for what I assume are off-road things.  I had to see what that was like in my friend's Bronco.  In an absolutely bizarre twist from the people that brought you the Power Shift debacle, it is the manual transmission that is problematic while the autos seem to be getting along fine.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/23 12:09 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Speaking of control, a granny low is great for creeping in certain situations.

Every manual trans 3/4 ton or larger truck I have driven had a 1st gear so short that it was much more pleasant to just start in 2nd gear.  Like, 2nd was what you would expect 1st to be, like in the 3:1 range, while 1st was more like 6:1.  At the same time, if you needed to creep along, you could just use 1st and not have to slip the clutch.

Interestingly, twin clutch tramsmissions tend to have extremely short 1st gears for this reason - no slippage needed.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
8/26/23 1:30 p.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

...How can you blame "the kids these days" for not knowing how to drive stick when their families abandoned the transmission before they were born?

I learned how to drive a manual because my dad had an SVT Focus and I thought it was cool. I wanted to drive it so I learned how. If it was a boring appliance type car I don't know if I would have been as interested.

So... Save the Manuals! Buy cool hot hatches when your kids are learning to drive!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eg2r0rYEczMJkQQArvhDd6xxH8MrSu7VazOs7NJVxi48tntRWvatTR2jZXdMOk7L