1 2
kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
3/24/23 8:19 a.m.

Jeep actually had a recall on the ZJ Grand Cherokee's that didnt have a hitch installed to put them on every ZJ to protect the gas tank out back. So fire protection!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/24/23 8:23 a.m.
porschenut said:

The hitch limit is in line with that vehicle.  I would not put a 1 1/4 hitch on my silverado but have one on the subaru.

The problem is not the hitch, it is probable slop in the receiver.  Any looseness is amplified due to the physics of it, and you will feel it when driving.  Not all hardware fits properly, but there are basic clamps that will tighten up any movement.  

Yeah, that's why I'm such a fan of 1UP's design. Expanding receiver makes a perfectly rigid connection with the hitch. I actually stole parts from another 1UP rack to make the video camera mount we use for all of our on-track shoots. 

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
3/24/23 9:56 p.m.

I have one of those on my 2009 MINI Clubman S, I tow my classic Mini all over the country with it - works a treat! I get about 27 mpg while towing at 75 mph on the cruise control. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/24/23 10:01 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Idk, there's three different receiver sizes on my property at the moment. This is plenty of capacity for this car. 

My experiences with bike racks on 1 1/4" receivers has been extremely negative.  They bounce all over the berking place.  I've seen friends' racks break. 

I made one out of square tubing, and other than it being built too short, it's pretty stout.  

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/26/23 12:39 p.m.
dps214 said:
Peabody said:

I'm working on a rear rack for the trials bike since it's only 150lbs.

Pretty sure my 1 1/4" is rated at 200lbs

Yeah you're probably not going to want to do that. The hitch might be rated 200lbs of tongue weight, but 200lbs on a trailer ball is a lot different than 200lbs of bike and rack cantilevered an extra foot or more out from the hitch.

So Curt offers a 1 1/4"carrier that is normally rated for 300lbs, and down rated to 200 for this application. It hangs out significantly more that what I had in mind. 
The other thing, as someone else mentioned, is that they bounce  around a lot. I think at least part of that is the lousy fit of the 1 1/4" tube into the receiver. Ten seconds into the first drive with a trailer attached it was obvious that needed attention.  So I'm going to machine some square steel block to fit properly. I will post pics of the carrier when I'm done

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
3/26/23 1:10 p.m.

If you are looking for one , get the Curt number and check EBay , 

I got a return from Pep Boys eBay  account for half price and free shipping .

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/26/23 3:37 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

If you are looking for one , get the Curt number and check EBay , 

I got a return from Pep Boys eBay  account for half price and free shipping .

Also can check for stuff returned to Amazon (filter by 'used' or sold by 'Amazon Warehouse').  Last year I found a Curt 31025 ("2-Inch Front Receiver Hitch, Select Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner") for $48, or a little over $1/lb.

In general, Amazon returns are risky if you care about exactly what you're getting.  I do not have a 2007 Mariner/Escape (or whatever weird and specific year 31025 fits), it was a cheap and convenient way to get steel to make a front receiver/ winch mount for my i-350.  I have had good enough luck with Amazon-returned exhaust components, but a Bilstein shock turned out to be completely the wrong part#.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/26/23 3:44 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I really prefer 2" receiver hitches for bike racks and such. It's just so much better for keeping stuff from rocking from side to side. 

Whenever possible, make gravity the Coyote's greatest enemy.

This is one reason I like the 2" receivers.  That said, a lot of modern bike racks have a threaded pin section to minimize wobble.  The receiver interface on mine is rock solid despite being a 1.25".  I can't say the same for the rest of the rack, but its cheaper than a 1up and more kid-bike friendly.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/23 3:49 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I bolted a 2" receiever under my workbench so I can mount the grinder to a step adaptor.  I can quickly remove the grinder if it's in my way.

Well, almost.  There is an amazing amount of wobble in a 2" reciever.  I fixed that with a drill, tap, and fine thread bolt to preload the assembly.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/29/23 3:00 p.m.

I had a receiver on the back of the Miata for years so I could carry a bike but finally took it off as it’s a bit of weight. But that lightweight hitch from Paco looks interesting....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bK3q57E5eoKK7rTcUPXoB77nRj962ECTPR8cYoBWZf7uVJK05fVirR5Ef26fvC5R