1 2
crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/17 1:28 a.m.

I don't know why but I am attracted to weirdo old period correct wheels. Not like Cragars on a Chevelle kind of thing. In the past I've had:

Epsilon mesh 16x8 16x12 3 pieces on a classic 911. "Just buy Fuchs loser"

Put on TE37s then settled on Advan SA3A's on a Galant VR4. 3 spokes on something that looks like an Accord? Love/Hate

Fondmetal 4 spokes then Volk Mesh.on my 240Z Weird, but 1973. Why don't you just put on slots?

Fast forward to 2015, I buy an FJ60 LandCruiser and I immediately find a set of 15x8 Outlaws black/red powdercoated with my newish 35x12.50.15s. I got a good deal on the wheels/tires from a buddy and really just wanted the tires. The wheels were ok but they didn't speak to me. So I have casually looked for something that is really my style (which apparently is polarizing oddball stuff. I accept that now)

So I have found one of my favorite wheels ever for old school trucks. 15x10 Appliance Turbo-Vecs. The plan is to color match tan to match the truck and run the 35s on them. This body style came out 37 years ago and these would be probably what I would have run back then. They scream ugly ,wild,and tough to me. I'll probably hang on to the Outlaws and maybe find some dedicated studded tires for them.

I know a lot of people are probably thinking the Outlaws look better or those old enough to remember this style new just HATE them but I've always been drawn to goofy E36 M3 like this. Can't fight it.

I have always loved this forum has people in to mini trucks, G body's, K cars...whatever. You make me feel more normal.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
4/11/17 2:11 a.m.

Those Turbo wheels you bought are perfect.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
4/11/17 4:37 a.m.

I love those Turbo wheels but then I'm a weirdo. Can't say I've ever seen them before.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/11/17 4:52 a.m.

What a flashback.

I had a similar set back in '81. Haven't seen those wheels in years.

Nice score.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
4/11/17 6:03 a.m.

Any Vectors are good with me, I like oddball wheels also. I don't have a pic handy but I had Volk 4/5 on my Rabbit for awhile and people kept asking why my wheels didn't match....

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/11/17 6:21 a.m.

Those are beautiful classic. Only crackheads think they're ugly.

photo 46E51728-3FBE-4E83-B1DC-7A32FA68C76C_zps8j6ryv0s.jpg

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/11/17 6:39 a.m.

I pity tha fool that don't like them wheels!

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
4/11/17 7:40 a.m.

I guess I'm older than most people on here. I grew up liking those wheels.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/11/17 7:51 a.m.

Please make it 2 tone. Tan spokes, black recesses? Tan recesses, (?) spokes?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/11/17 7:55 a.m.

Vectors rock.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
4/11/17 7:59 a.m.

I had a set of those (or something really similar) on my 1978 Datsun 510.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/11/17 8:22 a.m.

You and I apparently have a different definition of ugly wheels.

For reference: this is an ugly truck wheel, but "people" seem to love them anyway.

BTW - Congrats on the find!

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
4/11/17 8:24 a.m.

Those Vectors aren't ugly at all. They aren't a wheel that'll look good on every vehicle, but on the right one, they just work.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/11/17 8:27 a.m.
Brian wrote: Please make it 2 tone. Tan spokes, black recesses? Tan recesses, (?) spokes?

Brake dust will take care of that. My red wheels have black recesses now

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
4/11/17 9:13 a.m.
Matt B wrote: You and I apparently have a different definition of ugly wheels. For reference: this is an ugly truck wheel, but "people" seem to love them anyway. BTW - Congrats on the find!

If you take those ugly pieces of that run out to the wheel lips I think it'd look decent.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
4/11/17 9:27 a.m.

Disagree. Those turbo wheels are amazing.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/11/17 9:30 a.m.

Agreed - turbine style wheels are awesome. But I am also a child of the 70's & 80's.

I'm rather surprised nobody has replicated the General Lee wheels in modern sizes.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/17 9:31 a.m.
Matt B wrote: You and I apparently have a different definition of ugly wheels. For reference: this is an ugly truck wheel, but "people" seem to love them anyway. BTW - Congrats on the find!

Exactly. those are not my style at all and are usually purchased by people who want to look like car people without the hassle of knowing any better.

And for the record , I don't really think they're ugly but the majority of non car people don't get them at all. I'll be interested to see how the wider wheel looks with these tires. Might be time to start looking at some fender flares

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/11/17 9:56 a.m.

I still don't get the black/ matte/ murdered out wheel look, that shoulda been popular for like ten minutes. Is there a anti chrome, silver or aluminum movement or did the wheel makers score a discounted 1M lbs. of black powder coat they gotta use up?

If you can't even see the 'definition' of the wheel style itself at 20-30 feet it's money wasted.

But that's just like my opinion man.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
4/11/17 10:43 a.m.

Your wheel choice is exactly what I had to have for may 78 CJ7 nothing else would do...except the stock metallic brown stock wagon wheels.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/11/17 11:01 a.m.

Im not a huge fan of turbines but they look good on some vehicles. I think the rubber coated turbines they put on foxbodys ruined that wheel for me.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
4/11/17 11:50 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Agreed - turbine style wheels are awesome. But I am also a child of the 70's & 80's. I'm rather surprised nobody has replicated the General Lee wheels in modern sizes.

American does

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/11/17 12:13 p.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

The only size they show on their website is 15".

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/11/17 12:15 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Agreed - turbine style wheels are awesome. But I am also a child of the 70's & 80's. I'm rather surprised nobody has replicated the General Lee wheels in modern sizes.

I think I remember seeing Vectors in 17 now.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/11/17 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Any idea where? Not on the American Racing Website for those wheels.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kh4vAulEBmf33BG3Pdbz2A7peNCQLPWJsK42772VK9wRIft1gcrdoUnIVl9VHFsj