1 2
Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/11/17 12:24 p.m.

In reply to fasted58:

Exactly! At anything more than up close, it looks like black steelies without wheel covers. My one exception is for track use.

As for the God awful truck wheels that are currently in, give me a styled steel wheel instead.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/17 2:53 p.m.
dropstep wrote: Im not a huge fan of turbines but they look good on some vehicles. I think the rubber coated turbines they put on foxbodys ruined that wheel for me.

Weird. Never heard of those.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
4/11/17 3:15 p.m.

Immediately went to Craigslist to search...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/11/17 3:21 p.m.
Matt B wrote: You and I apparently have a different definition of ugly wheels. For reference: this is an ugly truck wheel, but "people" seem to love them anyway. BTW - Congrats on the find!

I don't think people love them, I think people settle for them. Have you looked in the wheel catalog lately? Most of the truck wheels are hideous anymore.

crankwalk
4/11/17 3:26 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I don't think people love them, I think people settle for them. Have you looked in the wheel catalog lately? Most of the truck wheels are hideous anymore.

They are like billet steering wheels. I have NEVER seen one look even a little better than the worst stock steering wheel.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/11/17 4:13 p.m.

I regularly hunto for over Obscure horrid Japanese wheels. Vecs are a good choice.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
4/11/17 5:49 p.m.
crankwalk wrote:
dropstep wrote: Im not a huge fan of turbines but they look good on some vehicles. I think the rubber coated turbines they put on foxbodys ruined that wheel for me.
Weird. Never heard of those.

My dad had a 76 Dodge Charger "Daytona" [think Cordoba] that had some weird steel wheels with a rubber face that looked like spokes

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
4/11/17 5:56 p.m.

Those plastic faced wheels were called "Polycast". They were manufactured by Motor Wheel Corp.for the Big-Three.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/17 5:06 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
Matt B wrote: You and I apparently have a different definition of ugly wheels. For reference: this is an ugly truck wheel, but "people" seem to love them anyway. BTW - Congrats on the find!
I don't think people love them, I think people settle for them. Have you looked in the wheel catalog lately? Most of the truck wheels are hideous anymore.

it's a vicious cycle. You want truck wheels, your choices are hideous, hideous. and more hideous. So you buy a set of hideous wheels. The manufacturers then think we WANT hideous wheels because so many people are buying them, so they cut the cool wheels and make more nasty more hideous wheels because those are what are selling

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/12/17 6:29 p.m.

Depending on what you paid for those turbo Vectors, you could possibly flip them and make some cash - I think they're pretty valued by the guys building up old Dodge Chargers.

crankwalk
4/12/17 7:35 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Depending on what you paid for those turbo Vectors, you could possibly flip them and make some cash - I think they're pretty valued by the guys building up old Dodge Chargers.

If somebody is building a 6 lug classic Charger with center bores big enough for a solid front axle Toyota hub to fit through, COUNT ME IN.

And to give you an idea of how much of a steal I got on these, I paid more to fill up the tank last week.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/12/17 10:01 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

Those will look awesome.

Onto the more important question, where are the pictures from those cars you mentioned. I want to see those 16x12 monsters.

crankwalk
4/12/17 11:06 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to crankwalk: Those will look awesome. Onto the more important question, where are the pictures from those cars you mentioned. I want to see those 16x12 monsters.

Here are the photos I can lay my hands on figuratively speaking at the moment:

Weirdo Fondmetals

Advan SA3As on the GVR4:

And the big boy Epsilons.

Ditched the ancient Comp TAs, camber,stretched some 275s(?) under a NARROW body 911. Sold both tops I had for the car just to afford them (leather and fiberglass). Literally no roof ever. I was 21 and it was the most important thing in my life at the moment. They didn't really fit but dont call it hellaflush. This was more than 10 years ago, I didn't know about stance people then and it was still fast. I dont have any far away shots after the right tires went on. The "right" tires didnt really fit the car either but I liked it. I ended up just driving with the cookie cutters on instead of the Epsilons most of the time.

Before the camber and new tires:

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/13/17 7:09 a.m.

I remember stumbling across this website last year: http://www.etmags.com/production_wheels.html

Even the production wheels aren't cheap ($400 ea.), but the custom sizes are somewhat reasonable. I believe they drill wheels to order in just about any pattern required. They also do custom one-off designs, although IMHO a larger Vector wheel has enough potential to become a production wheel.

crankwalk
4/22/17 4:31 p.m.

Mission accomplished.

Cummins beige rustoleum rattle can matches decently enough. I think I'm doing these for summer only and a stock set with studs for winter.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/22/17 5:17 p.m.

Hawt!

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
4/22/17 5:37 p.m.

I'm a bit of a wheel whore, and totally dig odd, vintage wheels, enough so to have become a bit of a hoarder. I also own several period correct sets of wheels for the XR4TI that I've scored over the years, most of which are from fox body Mustangs. And I'm constantly on the lookout for vintage wheels for my 280zx project. Luckily, more and more companies are (re-)making vintage style wheels again. Enkei even re-released the 92 a few years ago, only in limited bolt patterns though.

Regarding the turbines, I looked for a set of staggered 15" Vectors for my '70 Mach for a long time before I finally decided to go with larger front brakes that make 15s no longer an option. Then I looked for similar wheels in 17s and only found stuff that is meh or completely insanely expensive. Maybe one day, ARE or someone will start making 17x8 and 17x9.5 turbine wheels again. That'd be awsome!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/22/17 8:02 p.m.

Speaking of weird wheels, I'm convinced I seed a set of delorean turbines. Easier and cheaper to find than a set of carvingheads, and they come in 4x100.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YWmZTjyL4u6Uf5LpHxivApHzLedMtUj7gkxLzUInH2pJkCkElraPSdKY3c01KKYX