1 2 3
RandyS
RandyS Reader
11/26/11 8:48 a.m.

A T-5 would survive behind a 5.3 in a 2500-2900 lb car. There are a couple of places that make a bellhousing to do that.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/26/11 8:54 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Which LSx is actually lighter than a 5.0? I suspect due to the larger size the LSx is actually still heavier. This shows the Ford engine to weigh 460 http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html This site shows an LS6 to be 497 http://www.funco-motorsports.com/v8_comparison.htm with the T5 vs T56 we are well ahead with the Ford, plus it is smaller in length and width

I'll admit I don't know the exact weights, but I assumed that an all-aluminum smallblock would weigh less than an all-iron one. LS1, L33, etc.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/26/11 9:40 a.m.

Weight isn't much different, and in my case with light wieght flywheel, aluminum heads, aluminum rollers rockers. light weight starter, etc, etc, I am as light as the rotary was. hoorah

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/26/11 9:44 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: For my E36 . . . It was MASSIVELY cheaper to put a 302 in. My fully rebuilt 302 with GT40P goodies + cam + T5 + swap kit = $1500 If JTR's up and coming swap kit is priced right, I may reconsider!!

Do you have build details anywhere? I love the e36 chassis and love the 5.0 (my first car was an early LX 5.0). The combo sounds like fun!

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
11/26/11 10:01 p.m.

does anybody build an aftermarket composite/plastic intake manifold for the old 302? all i can find in searching is new intakes for coyote 5.0L new engines. i'd imagine you could save quite a few pounds over the aluminum gt40/explorer intake like the gm gen3/4 ones.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
11/26/11 10:17 p.m.

In reply to WilberM3:

The only composite/plastic intake was the "bread box" upper for the HO lower and made by Comp Cams/Hartman.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
11/26/11 11:01 p.m.

I looked into getting an LS1 when the V12 had problems and the wiring harness and custom bellhousing to fit a T5 were so expensive that I decided to go with a 5.0. Maybe in the end I will spend more getting the same power out of the 5.0 but so far I have found performance parts and efi wiring harness to be quite cheap.

pres589
pres589 Dork
11/26/11 11:12 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 & Wilber:

Yeah, and from everything I've read, it throws torque in the dumpster.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
11/26/11 11:22 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
Strike_Zero wrote: For my E36 . . . It was MASSIVELY cheaper to put a 302 in. My fully rebuilt 302 with GT40P goodies + cam + T5 + swap kit = $1500 If JTR's up and coming swap kit is priced right, I may reconsider!!
Do you have build details anywhere? I love the e36 chassis and love the 5.0 (my first car was an early LX 5.0). The combo sounds like fun!

I've been working on mine on and off for a few years. I HOPE to have it in the car once I get the T-5 checked out and the engine bay prepped and cleaned.

Here is some completed builds:

My Build will be like more like Evan's . . .

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
11/27/11 12:27 a.m.
My sexy dreams always end up creepy. Like when all the hot girls magically transform into lizards halfway through and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Kx_t6ko1k&feature=player_detailpage#t=241s

Canute
Canute New Reader
11/27/11 9:04 p.m.

I just put my T5 on a bathroom scale sans clutch, shifter and bellhousing a couple of days ago. Came up 72.5lbs. Call it 73. I'm still being too lazy to strip one of my long block 5.0s to the block and weigh it. Considering that an LSx isn't really going to get any lighter I'm almost fantasizing about a Dart Aluminum 5.0. A V8 RX7 50-100lbs lighter than with the 13B it replaces? Considering the cubic dollars a high performance 13B costs, I'm almost willing to justify it. Almost ready to call Granny's tomorrow and spec it out.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
11/28/11 11:37 a.m.

Do 351 Windsors still fit an E30 or FC chassis RX7 as well as the 302? I know they are taller by 1.3 on deck height so I think are about 1" and just under 2" wider overall. I recall putting a late 351 in my SN95 and was surprised by how many fit issues there were compared to the original 302, especialy on width. I think the 351 is only areound 25lb's heavier though.

I had an old flat tapet 351 that I sold to a friend complete with 351 GT40 lower intake, shorty headers, MSD dizzy etc. I think I could get it back for cheap and Tom is giving me evil (make that stupid) ideas.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
11/28/11 12:02 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: Here is some completed builds: - Lawson's Build - Fendbass Complete Build + Donuts!! + Drive-by - Evan's Racecar Build My Build will be like more like Evan's . . .

Any documented complete E30 or FC build threads out there?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
11/28/11 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

I know of some E30 builds, but none documented like the builds I posted.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/28/11 2:45 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Strike_Zero wrote: Here is some completed builds: - Lawson's Build - Fendbass Complete Build + Donuts!! + Drive-by - Evan's Racecar Build My Build will be like more like Evan's . . .
Any documented complete E30 or FC build threads out there?

There are a couple of E30 builds on Bimmerforums.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
11/28/11 3:46 p.m.

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone post the dimensional differences between the two? Some SBF swaps are dictated by the fact that they are smaller than any of the typical old GM V-8's.

Canute
Canute New Reader
11/28/11 4:08 p.m.
WilberM3 wrote: does anybody build an aftermarket composite/plastic intake manifold for the old 302? all i can find in searching is new intakes for coyote 5.0L new engines. i'd imagine you could save quite a few pounds over the aluminum gt40/explorer intake like the gm gen3/4 ones.

I was kind of wondering if it might be possible to do something like that now with the availability of 3D printer technology. Design and "print" a positive for a mould, then cast it the sort of plastic GM uses on the Corvettes?

Skervey
Skervey New Reader
12/20/14 10:37 p.m.

Ill jump on here since im starting my 5.0 RX7 FC build. Iv looked at lots of swaps I just wanted to challenge myself with a motor swap. I looked at swapping a 302 into a Volvo 240 wagon, E30, foxbody (to easy), Ford falcon, RX7 FB & FC. I ended up with a RX7 FC in the end. Volvo was heavy and odd bolt pattern and lack of aftermarket unless you got parts from over seas. Plus all 240's have 250K on them when the odometer quit working 5 years ago, and they still want $1500 for it...E30's were always my brothers things and are a known performance car and common and amazing track cars. I wanted something a bit more out of the ordinary. Foxbodys are not "cheap" and the cheap cars have been hacked up by some kid in high school. They are my favorite mustang but they are common.

RX7 FC, I never see them on the road, lots of aftermarket. Grate brakes from the factory and some cars came with factory LSD. Other people have done the swap so there is knowledge on the swap and I wouldn't be the first to make all the mistakes. The FC is heaver than the FB but I think the suspension, steering, and aftermarket make up for it and its still lighter than most american FR layout cars. The FC is also a cheap at least where I am so that lowers the total cost of the build.

Just some of my thoughts and im on board for a 3D printed intake for my 302, lets make that happen!!

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
12/20/14 11:31 p.m.

I still can't figure out why everyone thinks that you need a t56 to run a LSx motor. Add a $40 truck flywheel and $4 extended pilot bushing and any transmission that ever bolted to any Chevy v8 bolts up. Plenty of transmission options that are smaller, lighter, and cheaper.

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
12/21/14 9:12 a.m.
Taiden wrote: This isn't conclusive, but it seems like 225s are about the limit on this car.

I'm 255 square on the LeChump car. Helps put down all the 302 powahhh

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
12/21/14 10:51 a.m.

My 5.0 RX7:

I developed the installation for it (no kit) and now Granny's sells that installation kit for it using my plans.

2720 lbs all up, full interior and AutoPower 6 pt cage. '74 302 block bored to 306 cid, 11:1 compression, iron '66 289 heads with Chevy 1.90 valves and a lot of porting. Revved to 7500 easily and made about 330hp at the wheels. Drove the car regularly for 5 years, and wish I had it back.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/21/14 10:59 a.m.

The cost of a aluminium 5.3 plus accessories and periferials will quickly outrun the cost of the better 302 heads.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/14 11:18 a.m.

LSX is no longer a cheap option in my opinion.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/14 12:26 p.m.
Canute wrote: I just put my T5 on a bathroom scale sans clutch, shifter and bellhousing a couple of days ago. Came up 72.5lbs. Call it 73. I'm still being too lazy to strip one of my long block 5.0s to the block and weigh it. Considering that an LSx isn't really going to get any lighter I'm almost fantasizing about a Dart Aluminum 5.0. A V8 RX7 50-100lbs lighter than with the 13B it replaces? Considering the cubic dollars a high performance 13B costs, I'm almost willing to justify it. Almost ready to call Granny's tomorrow and spec it out.

I currently have my 13b with all the accessories needed to run it AND the transmission on my scale. 362# total. I don't think any of these engines themselves could be that light.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/21/14 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler: How much are good Ford aftermarket cylinder heads? If you're talking $900-$1200, that's not too bad.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ui1hKlPEE0MBJEqZApBlDKmQHfEKeBT7tdRvGYK0MYhERicqRfyrASDlzWZn1AVn