J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
4/10/23 1:43 p.m.

Ronald Reagan was president. The Berlin Wall still stood. And the World Rally Championship last held an event on U.S. soil, the Olympus Rally, in June 1988.

Thirty-five years later, WRC is exploring the opportunity of returning to America with a rally in Chattanooga, Tennessee. What’s the likelihood of this becoming reality? Stronger than you might think.

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/10/23 2:01 p.m.

This is getting me real excited.

I'd love nothing more than to experience at least one WRC event in my lifetime, and this might just make it even easier to cross that off my bucket list.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/10/23 2:20 p.m.

I'll be there if it happens!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/10/23 2:34 p.m.

Fingers crossed.

sir_mike
sir_mike Reader
4/10/23 4:57 p.m.

Would love to see it happen.Miss the old days of The STPR and HIS rallies.Loved the night stages watching out in the woods.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
4/10/23 6:28 p.m.

Chattanoga Tn. how soon? who are the subaru team/drivers?

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
4/10/23 7:40 p.m.

I was very fortunate to see a stage at the last (or maybe one of the lat) WRC rallies in Tacoma, WA. The cool thing was that it was the Group B cars! I remember hearing another spectator describing them as "funny car Jeeps".

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/10/23 8:20 p.m.

I would love to attend with my family. Here's hoping it really hits the schedule.

J.A. Ackley
4/10/23 8:25 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Chattanoga Tn. how soon? who are the subaru team/drivers?

I'd say after the 2023 fall demonstration they'll have a good idea of if they're a go or no go for the WRC schedule. 2024 maybe? They announced the 2023 schedule in late November last year. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/23 8:58 p.m.
RacerBoy75 said:

I was very fortunate to see a stage at the last (or maybe one of the lat) WRC rallies in Tacoma, WA. The cool thing was that it was the Group B cars! I remember hearing another spectator describing them as "funny car Jeeps".

That would have been the last international Group B rally... in the world.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects New Reader
4/10/23 10:11 p.m.

My daughters fell asleep tonight sitting with me watching old Group B Rally videos. It was a happy Dad moment.

brouggly
brouggly
4/11/23 8:17 a.m.

This is exciting stuff!

I'm a fan of two local ARA rallys, Show-Me Rally (fall) and Rally in the 100 Acre Wood (spring).  I'm thinking of volunteering to staff the next one or two to improve my chances of getting a good slot at a WRC event.  Wish me luck!  ;)

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/11/23 9:57 a.m.

If it happens that will be an "unless someone is on thier death bed" I am going event.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/23 10:05 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
4/11/23 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

The test event going well indicates this is more real and more organized than previous attempts, but some of the comments from locals in that article highlight the difficulties of doing this in an area that hasn't seen a rally in 20 years.

J.A. Ackley
4/11/23 10:22 a.m.

In reply to brouggly :

Awesome. Yes, they're looking for a bunch of volunteers. Now's a good time to get in. Enjoy!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z18bHfpRY9A82OejDhfPxHs1WoFsR4TnUGdHMj0nigY3Z2SpZPA2eJSguyupQp5P