1 2 3
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/26/14 10:01 a.m.

P30 step vans often come with 6.2L diesels. They're slow, but bulletproof and get fair MPG. They are also cheap. I used to buy and sell them in CA in the $2000 range. They're worth more than that in scrap aluminum.

Keep watching Ebay for blue swat vans. They are SRW, double swing out doors plus a side door, 6.5L diesel. Usually low miles but high hours.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
12/26/14 2:11 p.m.

One of the things I love about GRM is no one bats an eye at the idea of using a box truck as a winter beater/DD.

Nothing else to add except I love the idea if my wife would let me, and there's a couple daily driven corvettes up here in Fairbanks thanks to Blizzaks. Maybe it's better just to drive the vette?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
12/27/14 7:45 p.m.
skierd wrote: Maybe it's better just to drive the vette?

Tough to fit dirtbikes, ramp, Moto gear, fuel, tools and beer in the back of a C6.

I bought that wheelchair van yesterday. I think it's going to be awesome. I didn't get a steal of a deal, but this van is so clean and it was much cheaper than a Sprinter. Rolling around underneath it, I'd have guessed it was only 3 years old. I ordered a set of tires from Treadwright last night. Alcohol gave me the courage to order mud tires for the drive wheels and all terrains for the steer wheels.

The engine has a stutter at about a quarter throttle and low RPM. Any ideas on the cause? Check engine light came on so I'll pull the code when I get home. Not looking forward to changing plugs in that cramped space. Dumped a bottle of Seafoam in, no effect so far.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
12/27/14 10:05 p.m.

Fords go through ignition coils, I'd probably start looking there

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
12/27/14 10:51 p.m.
Sonic wrote: Fords go through ignition coils, I'd probably start looking there

ECU code will show which one right? Seems to be fine when cold and the problem presents itself when cold.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
12/30/14 3:47 p.m.

THE SEARCH IS OVER!!!

2000 Ford E350 extended 1 ton 5.4l Triton V8, power windows, locks, cruise control, rear AC/heat, 4 wheel disk brakes, and a 6' 2" inside height. I'm really happy that I got one tall enough to actually stand up in as opposed to one I just had to hunch over in less. It needs aggressive tires, a trailer hitch, and the wheelchair lift removed. It's not worth keeping to get the bike in and out. It would be tough to work around for a hitch also. Any one need a wheelchair lift? Cheap!

Another huge improvement over the other van is airflow. I almost died of the gasoline fumes on the way over to Portland. With everything in the new white whale I didn't smell any fumes at all. I think a big factor is the additional cubic feet of space and the super high capacity fans. That rear blower moves a lot of air!

Compared to the standard length/height van from Tommy

Maybe someday...

92dxman
92dxman Dork
12/30/14 6:17 p.m.

Back seat and room for a bike. Score

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
12/30/14 8:04 p.m.

That looks like a great fit for your needs, Nice.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
12/30/14 9:19 p.m.

If you are willing to ship I could sure use the hydraulic parts from the lift for tilting the cab on my COE. Great score!

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/30/14 11:05 p.m.

you could also prob donate the ramp set up to a local charity.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EM0TWKc1z5vRvdZMNCPhXu6JNrbiW7yFYbCryJNeha04309WSIrM9ceYlkONFkrB