1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/13/15 9:03 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: And left foot braking should only be used to load the turbo. This ain't initial D kids...

Ah! Left foot braking is also to keep an automatic transmission from upshifting when it shouldn't.

And a way to negate power understeer in long sweepers in a severely underpowered car where the only way to get the bitch to keep turning is to occasionally shift some load onto the nose. But that is a seesaw maneuver not a both at same time maneuver. Both at same time is for turbo spool and automatic transmissions. If you don't have either then it is for being slow.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
4/13/15 11:20 p.m.

In my experience/opinion, the fast line will yield greater exit speed than fumbling around trying (whatever method) to maintain boost. And the fast line in this scenario would definitely be hanging wide & late apexing.

Left-foot-breaking is something I've never practiced enough to feel comfortable with, but certainly isn't just some "Initial D" bullE36 M3. You can't get off the gas and on the brake faster with one foot than two. You may suck at it (as I do) but I don't think that's a valid argument for not trying.

Also: Sorry dude. That's the berkeleying worst; feeling like there's one section that you never really got "down."

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
4/14/15 7:01 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
drummerfromdefleopard wrote: Left Foot Braking
This, when I did the ST Academy in the Fiesta ST I can't say I remember ever lifting off the throttle the entire run. Considering I posted the second quickest time that day, I'd say that was probably the best idea.

the only thing to keep in mind with left foot braking and not lifting off the throttle (I left foot brake all the time) is that when you need to brake next time you could be out of vacuum in the brake booster … that is a bit of a "oh E36 M3" feeling (until you learn what it is) because vacuum only builds when you lift throttle …

that feeling of a rock hard brake pedal and zero slowing is a bit of an adrenaline rush

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/15 9:53 a.m.

I have homework and after-school practice, unlike high school however, I am actually going to do this. Thanks for all of the input.

The race was at North Park, so there is also some off-camber issues to consider. I took first place in HS so I am not complaining, but I know I left some out there.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/14/15 11:17 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: Seriously? Only two people nailed this question. The correct (and only) line for the 180* is to swing wide and late apex the cone. Go DEEP into the turn before you start your turn in. And lift AS you turn. Jesus Christ.... "E-brake". GTFO... And left foot braking should only be used to load the turbo. This ain't initial D kids...

The ebrake crowd were trolling.......and left foot braking is how you are fast in small displacement turbo cars.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/14/15 11:21 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Good point, they'll still work....just have stop being such a Bob Costas and push harder.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
4/14/15 4:40 p.m.

Was the turn walled on the outside to preclude making the radius bigger?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/14/15 5:03 p.m.

I was taught on a lot of these (course depending that is) that if it feels slow, it's probably right. Some corners you just have to give up no matter what you do.

Sooooo glad to have a NA car with midrange torque for courses like these. sure, in a flat out drag race the turbo cars will eat me alive, but I can dig low and come out of slow corners easier. Suckas!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/14/15 8:37 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Single Pylon Turn is the content of Lesson 9 of the original film Autocrossing with Dick Turner. I highly recommend you view all 11 Lessons. Autocross School Lessons - 9 - Single Cone Pylon Turn Answer is swing wide while decelerating. Tackle the turn by making the cone itself the very late apex which allows you to pull away at maximum acceleration.

Most excellent, sir, in using scientific data to prove the correct answer.

I would also downshift into 1st, then manage the powaaaa!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SokkjOabCvyTpHgVfjIfHy7YgOku7gmoeYzlR4KpAAWZ07G7y6Mhr1r1x3co2SQO