DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/3/15 3:36 p.m.

So, in my mind my Challenge TE27 Corolla will be simply unbelievable with a 1uzfe installed. There are a number of these kinds of swaps on the ole interwebz. For a fellow (maybe me) who isn't comfortable with modern electrical systems how hard will it be to get the Lexus engine running in a 70s vehicle. The donor car I'm currently eyeing is a 1997 LS400. Is the ECU and engine harness simple enough, or will the ECU be interconnected to a bazillion other things in the car.
The secondary question would be does it make sense to Megasquirt it instead, keeping mind I have to do this on a Challenge budget?

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
2/3/15 3:49 p.m.

Megasquirt plus the related electronics you'd need (EDIS ignition, etc.) will cost $200-$300. So, it's a little tough, though certainly not impossible, to fit that in a Challenge budget.

I'm not that familiar with the LS400 wiring, but being that it's OBDII, it will probably want to see wheel speed or transmission speed, a working evap system, O2 sensors, etc. No telling how much of that stuff can be scrapped before it goes into limp mode.

If you do go Megasquirt, I think there are some really solid gains to be had through better tuning of ignition and fuel maps vs OEM. Especially if you have mild upgrades like intake and headers/exhaust. That said, Megasquirt will take a pretty good chunk of time to implement.

If it were me, and I just wanted the easiest possible engine management, I'd probably just try to find an earlier LS400/SC400 and use the OEM ECU and wiring harness. That said, I could be way off base and maybe the later OBDII ones aren't that hard to fool into working or just don't care much about most of those peripheral systems (ie: their absence won't trigger limp mode).

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/3/15 4:16 p.m.

Try the uz-swap forums. They put them in RN Trucks and I'm pretty sure they use the stock ECU, so it can't be that bad. The ECU does talk to a lot of things. I think there's like 10 or 20 computers on my cars.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/4/15 5:47 a.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:
And there's the rub, so many computers and knowing which can be easily removed. I've got a line on a $250 LS400, but I'm leery of getting it before I figure out if I can handle the control issues.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
2/4/15 7:33 a.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: Megasquirt plus the related electronics you'd need (EDIS ignition, etc.) will cost $200-$300.

At this point, I wouldn't use EDIS - an MS2 can handle the stock ignition pretty well with the Zeal add on daughterboard. Or you could use a MicroSquirt if you don't want to run the idle control valve. They're not the easiest engine to MegaSquirt, but they're not the hardest, either.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/4/15 7:56 a.m.

Engine swaps to an EFI engine are pretty tough for the electron-challenged. I've done 4AG 20v's both ways: Megasquirt and factory ECU. I think they both are about as much work. I think that given the choice, I would go factory ECU just so I don't have to tune it, as long as I wasn't changing a NA motor to a turbo or something. If you can get the factory 1uz ECU to work, that would be smoothest. Unless you're planning on spinning it to 8K, I don't think there's any more power to be had over the factory tune.

I have 2 motor swaps ongoing or in planning stages now: 1NZFE plus turbo into a Europa (going Megasquirt with that) and a 3SGTE into a RAV4 (planning factory ECU for that).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OBxUUx7D3pexX0lTcsBn7SwO1jCFJPFXIlCn2DdfkmyjwiajoBZvfCZRbagKtGpl