Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/21/19 8:02 a.m.

Brother Dallas has tasked me with helping him get a new daily. 

Requirements:

Under 20k price

Under 70k miles 

New enough to finance 

Able to pull a 26 foot enclosed car hauler

Able to pull a LARGE camper

Fit 4 kids, 2 adults, 2 dogs, and a weekends worth of crap inside

Prettymuch a use case for a 12/15/18 passenger van in our minds. Probably a 1 ton. 

Around here, its a unicorn near as i can tell. 

I know chevy, ford, and nissan all make them and have made them in the last few years. But i dont know which ones will do what he wants, or if there are others. 

His pipe dream is a 1 ton 4x4 diesel van, but i think those exist about as frequently as an honest politician. However....

So, what van will be the best choice for his needs? It will be a long term van. 250k, 10 years is the goal. So reliability and maintenance are concerns. 

Better yet, finding him one that fits the bill would be even betterer! No rust. No rusty states (so, southern, southwest, California, etc. Sorry ohio.)

Ideas? Craigslist links? Reccomendations?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/19 8:26 a.m.

Ford or Chevy with a 3/4 ton chassis will probably do what he wants. The 1 ton chassis would be better for towing but would ride like a buck board when empty. 

That's going to be a tough vehicle to find. 95% of the full size vans on the market are cargo. Of the other 5%, they are 1/2 ton chassis. 

I'll keep an eye out. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
8/21/19 8:36 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

We own a 2006 E-350 (one ton).  The wife daily drives the kids around in it.  225k miles and no problems.  The one ton pulls a trailer Amazingly well.

Check out Govdeals.com

just a random sample of what's possible, this one even in NC.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
8/21/19 8:51 a.m.

Problem will be low miles , 

Chevy has longer wheelbase , 

Ford and Dodge just added length behind the axle of the stock van.

I have a 2005 Chevy / GMC  3/4 ton van

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/21/19 8:53 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

+1 on GovDeals.   There are a ton (heh) of one ton passenger vans that have been used for government purposes, and they usually get sold on GovDeals.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
8/21/19 8:57 a.m.

Towing rating on the Transit passenger vans is terrible, and even the cargo ones top out @7k#, so they are probably out, and the Nissan is about the same.  I think the Sprinter does a bit better on that, and is available AWD, but the price range and mileage requirements are incompatible.  Cab chassis versions of the Ford E van could get you there, with an aftermarket cab back and flatbed, but not in something that could be financed. 

That pretty much means that you are looking for a Chevy Express. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/21/19 12:21 p.m.

If you get a Dodge I have these in 5x5.5 that will need to go on it...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/21/19 12:54 p.m.

Nissan NV3500 van, the full sizer built off the Titan Pickup frame. They have a tow rating of 8,600 lbs  because of 5.6L engine. 

They are popular with the rental fleets so the car sale websites of Enterprise and Hertz may have discounted, very new ones. 

Built in the south and should be plentiful around Nissans Nashville HQ. 

The recent car hauler/shipper I used said he loves them. In here was a Prius (3k#) and a Gator (near 2k#) and 2k# trailer had to make for 7k#

06HHR
06HHR Dork
8/21/19 1:00 p.m.
oldopelguy said:

Towing rating on the Transit passenger vans is terrible, and even the cargo ones top out @7k#, so they are probably out, and the Nissan is about the same.  I think the Sprinter does a bit better on that, and is available AWD, but the price range and mileage requirements are incompatible.  Cab chassis versions of the Ford E van could get you there, with an aftermarket cab back and flatbed, but not in something that could be financed. 

That pretty much means that you are looking for a Chevy Express. 

He's right.  Chevy still sells conversion vans on the 2500 Express chassis.  It's what your friend wants, but he definitely doesn't want to buy it new. I'd try to find a gently used one to see if depreciation will help.  2500 Express passenger van

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/21/19 2:29 p.m.
chandler said:

If you get a Dodge I have these in 5x5.5 that will need to go on it...

Gaaaah!

I need those.   For...

REASONS

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
8/21/19 2:32 p.m.

NV Pass Van gets my vote. I work at a dealership and a couple larger families use those for transport and bring them in for service sometimes.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/21/19 3:17 p.m.

70k-ish, $20k-ish  Corrected: might be only 6,900 towing...only!  

GMC 3500 w/ 6.0L and all the seats

E350 w/ seats

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/21/19 3:30 p.m.

I would go with the Nissan in this case. Great engine, least offensive exterior looks for something that's supposed to be a passenger vehicle imo, and probably easiest to find too.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/19 3:40 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Local BMW / Ducati dealer tows with one of those NV3500 Nissans.  Says it’s a beast.  Really surprised by the power.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/19 3:54 p.m.

I recently saw a 4x4 diesel cargo van listed locally...he can just cut in some windows and bolt some seats in the back, right? There are a few decent looking passenger vans too. I’m looking for one myself, but it needs to be in the $2k range & those are pretty scarce here. 

ojannen
ojannen Reader
8/21/19 3:59 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Those would look great on mine.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/22/19 7:18 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

New enough to finance 

Most banks have stricct rules on how old of a vehicle they will finance.  Most credit unions don't have the same age rules.  

See this thread about PenFed Credit Union and financing old cars

Dusterbd13-michael
8/22/19 7:22 a.m.

Dallas is watching this thread. Keep it up!

And he has an irrational hatred of the nissan vans. I think hes a moron for negating 33% of tge market segment....

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/22/19 7:33 a.m.

If he has driven the Nissan and dislikes them then thats fine.  I have not driven them but what I like about the Nissan is that it is more akin to what an ole Chevy Panel van used to be:

If i were considering a 200k mile vehicle I would much rather be facing a future of just lifting the hood of a Nissan Van rather than removing the interior (dog house) and quite possibly the entire front grill work of a Chevy/Ford Van

Dusterbd13-michael
8/22/19 7:40 a.m.

Agreed. And i think he has never actually driven one to be honest. Id much rather work on one with a hood vs a doghouse though.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/19 8:45 a.m.

Not sure if this one can be bought for $20k, but it also has way less miles. However l’m sure this one could be bought for $20k and it still has way lower miles. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/22/19 8:51 a.m.
ojannen said:

In reply to chandler :

Those would look great on mine.

Pm me! They would look awesome on that

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/19 8:52 a.m.

Van - 3500 series.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/19 8:55 a.m.

purple dajiban on Minilites?!?!   yes plz!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h7hItkZVQtM1Dgf3X0ODIj3rVVJzFZzdokYJvPGFsV42hq0EHhf8LGyagiDOFBdF