paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/25/16 4:37 p.m.

So Mr. Government owes me some money this year, and lordy is it burning a hole in my pocket before I even have it!

Mind you, I already have a purchase in mind. But wandering around CL has me losing my focus. What I am trying to avoid with this purchase is the "most expensive cheap car you will own that needs a million hours and dollars of work". BTDT and I am done with it.

Since there is already a post going on a potentially impossible German car, I thought I would throw a few more into the mix for opinions. Also of note, I have no experience working cars like these- namely more modern than 1979.

Option 1: 95 BMW 325i - $1200 CL Ad here

Description: Virginia car no rust runs good new radiator new water pump newer wheels and tires 2 10s in trunk new slave cylinder replaced headliner with leather one 1200.00 obo

Option 2: 99 BMW 328i E46- $1300 CL Ad here

Description: 5 speed manual 171k. Fun and fast good on gas. Runs and drives could use a tune up soon. New battery, fuel pump, starter, and vacuum lines. Needs speed sensor ($70), Grill ($30), and stick shift link bushings ($150 for the kit).. The clutch and throw out bearing is A1. You can still shift the car just complicated. The interior need a little tlc but not much leather seats are a little faded an have some cracks, remember this is a 17 year old car. I love this car an would rather not part with it but Christmas put me in the hole. No low ballin. Serious inquiries only. $1300 obo. I have listed this car priced to sell fast. Clean green title. NEED GONE TODAY!

Option 3: 2002 volkswagen gti 1.8t- $1200 CL Ad here

Description: 2002 volkswagen gti 1.8t 176,000timming belt,brakes and struts. 5speed Mt , car needs transmission work and exaust work . Lost 5th gear last weekcar runs and drives just no high gear . Going to upgrade vehicles. 1200obo call for more information

Any experiences to share and/or opinions?

WingZombie
WingZombie New Reader
1/25/16 4:43 p.m.

Get the Golf and call HPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvEn9RrLXuo

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/25/16 5:13 p.m.

That BMW screams "Gutted Track Rat!"

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/25/16 5:22 p.m.

Y'all are definitely stacking what I'm chopping! The interiors would likely be gutted in short order...

So are the needed repairs largely "bolt in" in affair?

seyhan3535
seyhan3535 New Reader
1/25/16 5:31 p.m.

e46 328i. I think you add ebay headers and get close to stock 330i bhp. Also if i recall the 99 328i's were drive by cable which should mean awesome throttle feel i hope.

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
1/25/16 5:45 p.m.

I emailed and texted the guy in the top one a couple of days ago and never got a response. Hopefully you get something back from him / her.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
1/25/16 5:51 p.m.

I'd do the e46 myself. But I do worry about "the interior needs a little tlc" and then fail to show pics of interior. I'm scared of VW.

M030
M030 Dork
1/25/16 5:53 p.m.

Run! Run fast! Run far! I've owned one of each of those, and two of some (both E36 & E46 BMWs). They're cheap for a reason. Delightful to drive when running well, all of them. But I've found it frightfully expensive to get mine to a place of reliable stasis. The E36 was particularly needy, and I never got it reliable enough to get me to work and back with any regularity. I knew when my GTI was running by the soft glow of its "check engine" light. All that said, if any of those is your be-all, end-all dream car, then go for it! I put up with unreasonable complexity and marginal durability because I love my crappy old Porsche Boxster. But if i didn't find it so pretty or so much fun to drive, it would be a hateful car to actually possess.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
1/25/16 6:33 p.m.

I have no experience with BMW but I can vouch for the GTI. If the trans and exhaust didn't have issues that would be worth it. You have to wonder if it doesn't have clutch issues too.

The main thing to look go wrong on the 1.8T is the timing belt and coil packs. The T-stat is a giant pain in the ass to change if needed too. Window regulators are also prone to failure but it's not as much of an electrical nightmare as advertised. To put it in perspective at 180K miles time caught up with my 02 Jetta VR6 and I decided it was time to move on.

For what it's worth I also know someone with a 2000 GTI 1.8T that's up to 300k miles now but he's also been doing more long term suspension replacement, exhaust, etc. as needed to keep it running well.

If this car didn't have trans issues and was about $2,000 - $2,500 I would say go for it.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
1/25/16 6:59 p.m.

The 1.8T's tend to bake their hoses and you get vacuum leaks. I would grab it if it weren't for the trans issues.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/16 7:19 p.m.

I had a Jetta /// 2.0 with the 5 speed. Mine had trouble going into gear, and it ended up being a set screw on the linkage going into the transmission. My left/right stick movements were mostly lost because of the loose screw. If you really like the VW, I'd go with a friend, and have them jiggle the stick around while you watch the linkage.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
1/25/16 7:34 p.m.

Bmw, sometimes you get lucky with a vw sometimes not.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/25/16 7:52 p.m.

Thank you all for the input! That is exactly the feedback I was looking for.

My list of car wants is long (whose isn't right?). My number one is a mk1 GTI after driving one when I was 16. A very close second is an 80 Rabbit that is being sold by a GRM member. This in and of itself is a big plus.

This vehicle purchase will be a fun vehicle, not primary transportation. But, I'd hate to have one of the vehicles I mentioned above (should I buy one) sit while I have to save up for an expensive part, or have to install it seven times before I get it right.

My fist instinct was the 80 Rabbit, and it sounds like that is the right way to go.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
1/25/16 9:20 p.m.

The BMWs scream auto-x/fun weekend car, the GTI screams fun weekend car. (I own an E36) All would need an inspection so you know what is broken that the owners won't tell you.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
1/25/16 10:32 p.m.

Um.. None of the above? They will all be pretty spendy.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/26/16 6:53 a.m.

I haven't tried to contact him yet. I half wondered if it was still available.

MrLittle wrote: I emailed and texted the guy in the top one a couple of days ago and never got a response. Hopefully you get something back from him / her.
Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/16 6:54 a.m.

I think all three of those cars are candidates, maybe not those examples. Consider a higher buy in for a nicer example, instead of a rescue that might cost you $5k.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/26/16 9:25 a.m.

Sounds fun. My initial tax return spending was to be a motorcycle, but with SWMBO's DD now over 200k, new car for her.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
1/26/16 9:55 a.m.

E36s have easily grenaded cooling systems, so make sure a cheap one hasn't been damaged by overheating. Do a compression or leakdown test on it. Beyond that, the rubber bushings tend to wear out (you can say that for any car that old), and stuff in the interior comes unglued pretty easily. Those are the main things to look for on these cars.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/26/16 10:20 a.m.

Also check the BMWs for the rear subframe cracking.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/26/16 12:19 p.m.

Like this one maybe? Ad here... In all honesty, I would much rather have an E30...

I have 1998 bmw 323is very clean in out no problem with it good tires and clutch Has brand new front complete suspension very smooth running no any problems manual transmission 5 speed 2 doors sport any questions call me

Tyler H wrote: I think all three of those cars are candidates, maybe not those examples. Consider a higher buy in for a nicer example, instead of a rescue that might cost you $5k.
paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/26/16 1:17 p.m.

We shal see how it plays out. Mrs. Android and I are "splitting" the proceeds...

Brian wrote: Sounds fun. My initial tax return spending was to be a motorcycle, but with SWMBO's DD now over 200k, new car for her.
paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
1/26/16 1:24 p.m.

Just emailed on this one and it's still for sale: E30 CL ad- $1800 Looks really nice but autotragic...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BD6e0kEiwdqYVSTNy8KhL3JygFhPoV94HLvjbhaTiNOlYwK906f4N4hVIShKe1VL