1 2 3
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/18/21 11:40 a.m.

I really like the Ecoboost F-150's, I have the 3.5L but the 2.7L is also great.  Last time I was shopping was last summer, at the time you could go to Akins Ford here in GA and get a brand new 2.7EB Crew Cab XLT package in the mid 30's and have dozens to pick from.  I just looked now and the same truck is mid 40's!  Only a few on the lot.  Strange times we live in...

FWIW, the ride quality and gas mileage of a modern pickup will be MILES better than your Jeep, in addition to actually being useful for things.

So I drove 5 trucks, Ford 2.7 turbo v6, Ram 5.7 Hemi, Chevrolet 2.7 turbo 4, Ford 5.0, Chevrolet 5.3. the fun and functional parts of the trucks were all similar. The 4 cylinder was brand new, the rest had 25k or less. The drive portion was identical for all 5. The small F150 and the small Chevrolet got within 1/2mpg off each other, the V8s were 3-6mpg less ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN MPG COMPUTERS. 

I felt more comfortable in the Chevrolet. 

I pick it up Tuesday

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/18/21 1:09 p.m.

Cool. As much as I'm a Ford guy, any of the big three's full size trucks are damn good these days. Congrats on the new ride!

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
3/18/21 1:09 p.m.

is that the 2.7 Turbo or the 5.3 Chevy?

2.7 turbo 4.

Also of note, all five trucks were wearing 20" rubber. The Ram and Ecoboost felt ridiculously rough, the 5.3 Chevrolet was less so but the 5.0 Ford and the 4 cylinder Chevrolet felt very nice. 

Rams stereo was amazing, then the Fords, Chevrolet were okay but comparing to the others a step down. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/18/21 1:26 p.m.

Gladiator will likely have the best resale, if that comes into consideration. 

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/18/21 1:59 p.m.

Please keep us updated on your new Chevy purchase. Btw, the most reliable truck that my wife and I have ever owned (8 in total) was a '95 C1500 Xtra cab that we bought in '02 with 190 or so K on it. It quickly became her daily/commute ride. She sold it to a coworker in 2013 with nearly 265K on it.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/18/21 2:00 p.m.

Please keep us updated on your new Chevy purchase. Btw, the most reliable truck that my wife and I have ever owned (8 in total) was a '95 Chv C1500 Xtra cab that we bought in '02 with 190 or so K on it. It quickly became her daily/commute ride. She sold it to a coworker in 2013 with nearly 265K on it. It was on it's 2nd auto trans (by the looks of it) but the engine showed no signs of any int. man or head work, etc. I took to changing the #5 and 7 plugs once year due to fouling (probably worn valve guides and or seals). She misses that trk to this day.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/18/21 2:23 p.m.

My wife may be looking at joining the Superduty crowd to replace her Tahoe for hauling her horse trailer.  Does anyone know anything about the new 7.3 liter gasser?  the multiple short trips she takes would kill a diesel and she doesn't generally go far enough to justify one either.

In reply to Karacticus :

How many horses? 

A 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost F150 is as stout as you may need unless you need a fifth wheel. Even then the in bed mounts are amazing for them as well!

In reply to Karacticus :

I regularly towed a 35' 5th wheel RV with a 460 Ford. It was great as long as you didn't mind buying gas. The new engine is 200 hp stronger and almost 100 more in torque. 

430 hp. 475 torque. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/18/21 4:31 p.m.

It's an aluminum two horse slant, bumper pull, with an oversize dressing room in the front-- think unfinished living quarters.

It's only #7K gross, but it's a pretty hard pull, as it's awfully tall.  The 2012 Tahoe works pretty hard pulling it, especially when it always seems like it's the windiest days she picks for a longer pull.

If I can talk her down to an F-150, that would be preferred.  There's a chance one of those might fit in the garage.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/21 5:06 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

I have no recommendations beyond staying far away from the Dodge eco diesel. A local racer bought one a little over a year ago. It has spent 90+ days at the dealer for warranty repairs. After the last stay, he decided to trade it in on a new 2500 with the Cummins to get away from the Italian diesel. The Dodge dealer wouldn't take it in on trade. Like literally told him they wouldn't buy it at any price. 

He's driving a Ford now. 

For as good as the VM Motori 4-cylinder 2.8 is, the 3.5 eco diesel is as bad from what I hear.  Horror stories of connecting rods sticking out the side of the block.

About all I can offer is that I had the glorious pleasure of driving a 3.5L Ecoboost F150 for a week.  I can't really speak to it's long term reliability, but what a dream that truck was to drive.  Felt WAY faster than a 4.6L.  I didn't like the fact that the owner had decided to put an aftermarket exhaust on it that made it sound like a... well, a V6 with a big exhaust.  Ford really has the full-size truck market nailed.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/18/21 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I am driving a 2012 F150 3.5 Ecoboost with 180K on it. It's a champ. Tow rating is 13,500 lbs, I drive it 1000 miles per week and have never had a problem with it. 

I think the horror stories about the EB come from people who truly don't understand the technology and prefer the old school 5.0. 

Any engine can blow. The better question is whether or not are they keeping up with the maintenance. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/18/21 6:22 p.m.

I was able to talk a local dealer down to 38k out the door for a 4x4 xlt 3.5 f150 last year. But I didn't do it lol

In reply to Karacticus :

The 5.0 I drove today was well equipped to tow. They handle trailers pretty well. Talk to young Mr.Whitaker about his new truck.

yupididit said:

I was able to talk a local dealer down to 38k out the door for a 4x4 xlt 3.5 f150 last year. But I didn't do it lol

So at that point were you NopeIdidnt?

3/18/21 7:40 p.m.

Sexy truck, John.  Are you going to invite me in and show me the bed?

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

The back seat AND the power lid gate latch big boy. Check Faceboobs, I found your wheels

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/18/21 10:09 p.m.

My friend just picked up a '17 F150 4x4 crew cab with the 2.7 Ecobooat engine. I drove it and loved it. I think his was the sport package, and it had all the goodies I'd want. Think he paid about 32k for it with 47k on the clock.

Good luck with the Chevy, it sounds like a great truck!

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/19/21 5:01 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I think it's important to know first it you intend to be wearing GRM underwear.

3/19/21 6:09 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I think it's important to know first it you intend to be wearing GRM underwear.

Off to order some so I'm ready.

As of 13:00est I took the last ride in Serenity and had started driving Terry Crews-cab. Nearly painless beyond GMs ridiculous new idea of putting remote door locks and remote on nearly every vehicle but not necessarily offering key fobs, because you can do it all with the OnStar app! Umm... Not for $15-45/mo for the next 10 years. The pair of remotes was supposed to be $380? I'm no as well. I know people beeches! $175 later I owned two  programmed remotes for the truck.

Averaged 21.9 at 80mph for the drive from the dealer to work with one 10 minute stop off a block off the highway. 

7 days, 350 miles, 1 tow, maybe needs a new transmission...

Updates on Monday.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tovt1Tk7RkUOX2HB9sarQZdhW5VkjRxLASuSBhtJqjGt2CNuRU3cBLwP5UkmhO7Q