_
_ Dork
2/6/20 4:10 p.m.

you can barely see it on the left, but this is the area I want to clean up. I want to put the bikes on the wall. And get the crap out of the totes and into a cabinet. The wife has cleaning supplies in the shelving. And there are an assortment of camping gear.

What's the cheap way to get this organized and "hidden" from view? I see Lowe's and HD have some cabinets for around $120, so three of those MIGHt fit everything. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just do it's job well. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/6/20 4:14 p.m.

Do you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore, or something similar near you?

_
_ Dork
2/6/20 4:24 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I do, they usually don't have this stuff, but I have a buddy that skims that place daily so I could have him watch out

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/20 4:33 p.m.
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/6/20 4:37 p.m.

subscribing

_
_ Dork
2/6/20 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Daaanngg! 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/6/20 6:17 p.m.

Watch Craigslist or other sites for people selling used cabinets.  You can sometimes find old kitchen cabinets for free, from someone who's remodeling.

_
_ Dork
2/6/20 7:15 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Yeah, plenty of those out there, but I need these to be taller. Needs to fit things like vacuum cleaner, mops, brooms, fishing poles, etc.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/6/20 7:20 p.m.
_ said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I do, they usually don't have this stuff, but I have a buddy that skims that place daily so I could have him watch out

Brother in law is a general contractor, has pulled enough good stuff out when remodeling homes to complete two houses from bare walls.  May be worth asking around with the contractors in your area what they do with old cabinets?

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/20 7:38 p.m.

Watching...

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
2/6/20 7:39 p.m.

My local Facebook marketplace usually always has quite a selection of old school lockers for sale. They serve me pretty well. Albeit they can be a bit narrow depending on which type you find, but they are tidy looking when closed and aren't something to be ashamed of looking at. Mouseproof too if that's a factor in your particular garage.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
2/6/20 7:40 p.m.

Personally, I prefer shelves to cabinets so that I don’t have to open and close the doors to look for something that I don’t remember which cabinet I placed it in. 

Bikes can be cheaply and easily hung from the ceiling using a couple of screw in hooks

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
2/6/20 7:56 p.m.

Framing up a floor to ceiling closet is quick and easy, then you're not confined to small spaces. I'd start about where the clock is, come out slightly past the width of the current shelving, and go down that wall. Use sliding barn doors to save room over bifold. 

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
2/6/20 8:19 p.m.

Ikea. Not cheap but affordable. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/20 10:21 p.m.
amg_rx7 said:

Personally, I prefer shelves to cabinets so that I don’t have to open and close the doors to look for something that I don’t remember which cabinet I placed it in. 

Bikes can be cheaply and easily hung from the ceiling using a couple of screw in hooks

A label maker is your friend.  I used one on my toolbox drawers and it helped quite a bit, especially if friends or family are helping in the garage.

I've had open shelves, they end up as dumping grounds or fodder for kids to play with.  If I have to take a moment to think about which cabinet to open or close, well that likely means it will end up in the proper place.  Plus I can lock them to keep kids out.

To each their own.

For bikes, there are some great hanging solutions available.  You can even use a crane solution to hang them from the ceiling.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/6/20 11:02 p.m.
_ said:

In reply to stuart in mn :

Yeah, plenty of those out there, but I need these to be taller. Needs to fit things like vacuum cleaner, mops, brooms, fishing poles, etc.

Tall metal cabinets often show up in the used market as well.  If you have a used office equipment store in your area, check them out.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
2/6/20 11:16 p.m.

I think this is 35 sheets of 3/4" birch plywood, though I might be wrong.  Main cabinets are 2x2x8', whereas the upper cabinets are 2x2x2'

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e0STQnzlLT9Czq8GvcBwkRoCeMZtfE8MsdxeqwG9IRhxVsLvFlcNZzv23MVb1SVt