1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/21 1:49 p.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd heard that dynamic wheel balancing equipment doesn't handle wire wheels well, and that a bubble balance is preferred. It has never been clear to me why that would be. I didn't see that mentioned above... Is it true?

True dynamic balancers center off of the lug bolts.  You can see the problem here.

You can still spin-balance a wire wheel, it's just a little trickier with setting up the cone.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/14/21 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I just used a hub unbolted from the brake drum to use  in my balancing. But first check to see if the wheel spins straight and round. I set a Jack stand and tape a pencil to it just barely touching the rim. Spin the wheel and see if the line stays straight and solid. Trivial deviation you can live with. Especially with 13 inch rims and skinny tires. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/14/21 10:15 p.m.

I can look how much MG Midget front suspensions I have.  I believe I have 3 complete sets.  

What do you actually need? I think I have a front crossmember cut from a car just like you have there. 

If you can use them you can have them.  Everything I have would have would be 1973-1978 Midget with bolt on wheels.  I will look at what wheels I have.  I don't think I have any steel wheels but sometimes I hold on to way to many things, I would like to keep the AR Spectres I have.  

Parts are in Mahomet Il.  Robbie could possibly get them to Chicago end of the month.  Eventually they could likely get to John Brown's in MI.  Otherwise you could come get them.  

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
8/19/21 8:36 p.m.

Alright, bumping this up a little bit here because I still can't get the 1 wheel off. I was able to get regular hubs today for $90 and I expect to be able to recoup everything from the front cut, but I need to get it all off so I can use the parts!

So, any tips on removing wire wheels?? I used a scissor jack against part of the frame rail with absolutely no movement, and a big prybar that just bent the edges of the rim. What are my options here??

Edit: I also missed this last post by nocones and am definitely open/interested, but with limited time to challenge and distance between not sure we could make it work??

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
8/19/21 10:18 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Please don't run this at the Challenge with wire wheels.  Just say no.

I raced my Black Jack with wire wheels for years. They are still on it from the late 70's.  That was an honest 150 mph car  fitted with racing tires.   I raced wheel to wheel with some pretty famous racers. 
  Wire  wheels are fine in good shape. 
I've seen some pretty marginal wire wheels hold up through a whole race weekend. Wire wheels have to be in pretty marginal condition to pass tech inspection and somehow fail in a race.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
73lyK8JwUDuIR1oMsimFDXXzVOTSyfQQ6Q6a6mNAtzwLl7MsQAYULnlsWTjKB2p0