poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
10/29/12 5:34 p.m.

Supposedly has blown HG. Has DOHC motor, leather wrapped stick, R/T wheels. Only has stripes on trunk. Any other way to identify it as an R/T? VIN?

I can buy and drive, buy fix and flip, etc, for a little more than scrap price.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/29/12 6:16 p.m.

Chances are pretty good it's a genuine R/T, as they aren't anything too special, just a top-spec Neon with an ACR short-ratio trans, stiffer fixed shocks (not ACR shocks) and ACR springs. All R/Ts had a DOHC, 5-speed and spoiler with alloys. Stripes were standard but could be deleted, albeit with no credit. Red, blue, black, and white were the only colors. So, basically, if it is a SOHC, auto, spoiler-less, or not any of the above colors, it is probably not genuine.

My girlfriend drives a modified red '98. It's a fun little daily for her. I don't think they are very desirable, as hers is minty mint and came with all the mods and we paid less than $2k for it.

wae
wae Reader
10/29/12 6:35 p.m.

I believe it has the same swaybars front and rear as the ACR as well as a slightly higher front spring rate in addition to the above.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
10/29/12 7:09 p.m.

Don't pay much for it; no matter what you do to it, it'll be worth no more than $500. Overall, I was underwhelmed, but it worked great as a rallyX car.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/12 8:01 p.m.

I miss mine, put 28k on it in less than 6months. Same suspension as the acr, minus the adjustable shocks/struts. All the bells and whistles though, so they are heavy. Used mine as a courier car, bombing around Tampa and sw Florida. Averaged about 30mpg beating it for all it was worth, could take a same year mustang GT light to light with a good driver. Could get upper 30's mpg out of it being nice to it. Topped out right around 130mph bone stock. Shocked more than a few Honda civic ex drivers with it.

Only problem I had with it was I broke a the brake light switch once, but that was it. I want another with a 2.4 swap with the rt top end.

And yeah I was 19 and an idiot when I had mine, rolled it one morning on the way to school. Swerved to miss 2 puppies got it sideways and sliding on dewy grass, heard the front right tire loose the bead and then it was a carnival ride.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
10/29/12 8:23 p.m.

Meh. I'll probably pass. Hate to see it get squished. If you're in GA and want it, $500 gets it. Goes to the crusher in a week.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
10/29/12 9:10 p.m.

Too far, otherwise I could use a donor body, Rust sucks.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/12 10:44 p.m.

No way to get it home. :( besides just bringing a SVX home yesterday.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AeRABibqd3SlnHWq6FzwAqAcoMsfVCxVmU4eNEfMsEcDmVXmczBlFwJLCDfcXJGD