Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/23/13 10:14 a.m.

I am seeing a ton of these beasts running around and everything I see from head to heads in the performance department they are a direct replacement for the P71.

Except better visibility, more cargo space, and fit in with modern traffic (let's face it, other than police and rentals, the Vic was regulated to Grandma and Grandpa duty.)

So who knows about what GM does to make the PPV the PPV? They look lower and the GM PPV website isn't completely forthcoming with all the mods I would guess.

What say you, GRM Hivemind?

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
9/23/13 10:23 a.m.

This may not be of much help.

The only thing that I know is different is. The BCM is reprogramed to flash the lights so that you don't have to install/ mod wiring harness for wig-wags lights.

fixed wig-wags

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/23/13 10:24 a.m.
GVX19 wrote: This may not be of much help. The only thing that I know is different is. The BCM is reprogramed to flash the lights so that you don't have to install/ mod wiring harness for wick wack lights.

Well that is something. LOL

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/23/13 10:34 a.m.

This is has been on my radar as well. Especially as the mommy mobile. The only thing is they are no where near P71 prices at 14 -15k... Whomp whomp.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/23/13 10:54 a.m.

I love the look of the Tahoe PPV. They look wicked, IMO. Coincidentally, I was in a huge diecast model store recently and actually say a 1:18 model of a Tahoe PPV. It looked super cool, even in model form!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/23/13 11:15 a.m.

I am surprised that they are only 5.3 powered and not the 6.2.

They don't seem weak though.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
9/23/13 11:31 a.m.

The local sheriff's office has theirs in dark grey with black rims. They look sharp.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
9/23/13 11:43 a.m.

heh. 'wick wack lights'

Agreed on the good looks, am running on the assumption that it'll be quite a while before they drop down to 'our' price range

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/23/13 12:14 p.m.

All I know is I have to clean my pants when I hear a turbo spool louder than the siren as it does about 90 past my house.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
9/23/13 12:19 p.m.

Like all GM special service vehicles they have every cooler imaginable (engine oil, p/s, trans) and large in size, different ECU programming for trans shifting, larger sway bars front and rear, bigger shocks, different spring rates and the heaviest of the brakes on the 1500 chassis.

Interior is usually vinyl floors and cloth seats with the appropriate guages.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/23/13 2:45 p.m.

Well if I truly have my way....

It is not stock, it is truly a bad ass.

Courtesy of people who shall not be berkeleyed with.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/23/13 2:56 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: All I know is I have to clean my pants when I hear a turbo spool louder than the siren as it does about 90 past my house.

I love that ecoboost motor. Guys in ecoboost F150's are tuning them with plugin tuners from Livernois Motorsports and talking serious torque.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/23/13 3:03 p.m.

I'll watch with interest as I believe this could be a good horse hauler for Mrs. Sparks one day in the not-too-distant future.

What's really cool is...she shares.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
9/23/13 6:04 p.m.

The best way to spot them is a lack of DRLs. Some civilian cars have the DRLs disabled/burned out and other fleet/municipal cars may have them disabled but I've found it to be effective?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
9/23/13 6:53 p.m.

Ummm, wig-wags right?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/23/13 8:18 p.m.
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/23/13 8:51 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Michigan State Police Vehicle Evaluations sorted by model year

The 2013 Charger gives the new Caprice a run for it's money, and it only uses the 5.7 instead of the new 6.4 Hemi.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
9/23/13 9:54 p.m.

More fun to drive than the Caprice (which is really fun). VERY hard to find a decent one at a decent price. Usually well over 100k hard miles. Inside is very utilitarian. Some roached out 4wd Border Patrol units came through not too long ago. I am hoping for some kind of federal unit at auction. The GSA has zero of these for sale right now.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
9/23/13 10:37 p.m.

If you have the time & leisure to observe, another way to spot them is by the lack of an OnStar antenna on the roof. (Like the one in FlightService's pictures.) There may, of course, be other antennas present.

There are some GM videos kicking around showing the PPV in a simulated pursuit over rough terrain with and without stability control. Looked like a total hoot.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/24/13 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel:

The Suburban in my second set of photos wasn't for law enforcement.

Let's just say it was for a group that nobody would dare "club a baby" one. We get to play with their boats . They take the guns off

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dQY587d5Zhh7m9mB4uGLlOVBkd68qqE2yR40fAoeKQkUdUNPmmwDFlmS2arm833B