Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/23 6:51 p.m.

Been thinking about this off and on as I see it done but this got me as I was just looking at M18 Milwaukee skill saws for something else.  Just a different blade?  Limitations on what can be cut?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/23 7:12 p.m.

For aluminum a regular wood saw with a carbide blade works fine. For steel they make blades, but I have a dedicated steel cutting circular saw. It's way heavier, more powerful, and has much better guards to not throw hot chips at you. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/21/23 8:34 p.m.

Second post here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/intake-design-and-building-how-to/186000/page6/

And then the 8th?  Or something?

Aluminum its easy.  I like to lube it up real good like.  The chips will be hot so wear long sleeves and face coverings and such.  I've never played with steel, but Patrick is a very trustworthy individual.
I try to stay at or under 1/8" thickness, set the blade depth to barely go through, then let'er rip.  I've seen people go up to 1/4" but... I don't like that

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
8/22/23 12:18 a.m.

You want a dedicated metal cutting saw for steel... 

Milwaukee Metal Cutting Saw

This thing is amazing, I rarely use my band saw since I got one. A regular circ saw spins too fast. This one runs at the right speed for the metal cutting blade. No flying sparks, just nice chips. I don't think the metal gets very hot. You can you an abrasive cutting disc in a circ saw, but it's a mess and sends sparks and debis everywhere. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/22/23 6:51 a.m.

I have used an OLD metal body circular saw with an abrasive blade to cut steel, but as noted above aluminum can be cut with a carbide tipped wood blade. That was the method for sectioning Dusters v6 oil pan and it was pushing 1/4" in places.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/22/23 7:53 a.m.

Another thought to think.  The closer you can get this to a mill, the better your results are gonna be.

By that, I mean rigidity, regularity of your passes, etc.  The better you can bolt this down and the better your guide system for your saw, the happier you're gonna be.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/22/23 7:56 a.m.

I did all the cutting for my medium sized shop with a skillsaw and a metal cutting blade. (Which reminds me... I need to update that thread...)

First off, they SCREAM. No matter how hard core you are, you will really want hearing protection (plus eye protection).

The carborundum blades cut better than the diamond ones.  The diamond ones last longer.

It takes a bit of pushing.  Heavier saws work better than light ones (although I've done lots with light ones)

I'm pretty sure that video is sped up. You can't cut steel that fast with a skillsaw.  It's slow.

It's a pretty smooth, straight cut (until the blade starts wearing out)

Cutting aluminum is easy, but the chips throw very far. Wear your safety glasses.

I cut more wood than metal, so the skillsaw is aways nearby. It's easier for me than a dedicated metal cutting saw (one less tool to drag around). But that's just me. 

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
8/22/23 7:59 a.m.

My porter cable has cut several cars into pickup bed size bits for recycling.  And dropped trees, tree stumps, sheds, etc.  Good quality blades, little teeth for metal big teeth for everything else.  With a $50 multi blade pack I reduced a 26 foot GMC to nothing.

Stampie
8/22/23 9:10 a.m.

I had to go to Home Depot this morning so I decided to look at their Milwaukee saws. I didn't realize they made a dedicated M18 metal cutting circular saw. That must be what they were using in the video. 

HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
8/22/23 9:16 a.m.

Eastwood sells a corded 110v version too. 

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
8/22/23 9:23 a.m.
Stampie said:

I had to go to Home Depot this morning so I decided to look at their Milwaukee saws. I didn't realize they made a dedicated M18 metal cutting circular saw. That must be what they were using in the video. 

Then, if you don't have other Milwaukee tools add another $100+ for a battery and charger.  Or you can get a plasma cutter and be done....

https://primeweld.com/products/50a-portable-air-inverter-plasma-cutter

Stampie
8/22/23 9:58 a.m.

In reply to triumph7 :

I was there to pick up my new Milwaukee blower so I'm good on that.  I was more interested in something that served more than one use like cutting metal or wood.  Plasma cutter has been on the list for a while now.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
8/22/23 10:53 a.m.

The only thing saving my bank account is not having a bigger shop...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/22/23 11:08 a.m.

That says "longest tool life". "Up to 370 cuts in 3/4" EMT".

Im assuming they mean battery life.  EMT isn't hard to cut... I'm pretty sure I could do 370 cuts in an hour. 1/4"  plate would be VERY different.

Full disclosure... I love M18 tools, but I've never used one of those. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/22/23 11:23 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

The 5 3/8" blade is similar to the blade size I used on my OLD metal body saw. Not that I would try to cut something like 2"x box section of steel with it but the depth of cut is right on the edge.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
8/22/23 9:53 p.m.

I used a regular carbide blade in my very ordinary circular saw to cut supercharger mounting brackets out of 1/4" thick 6061 T6 aluminum. Worked just fine...but it was freaking LOUD. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
8/23/23 2:28 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

That's the saw that I linked. Words cannot explain how nicely it cuts. It does not compare to a bandsaw or Sawzall. Here is a good demo of what it can do...

Stampie
8/23/23 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

I see that now.  I just don't think I'm ready for a $260 one purpose tool.  I'll look into some of the corded ones.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/23/23 7:59 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

That video is awesome. Impressive how well it does on thick metal. 

Now I'm gonna have to go give some money to Milwaukee.  cheeky

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nTLTogwNjedrZCLy0cnzkZtVdfBAXO7OHv6tSGiqSx7TQvOXKuU5wtUSy0rfckwd