Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/15 6:14 a.m.
Rad_Capz wrote:
Woody wrote:
gamby wrote:
Woody wrote: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4841516661.html
Well-played. That's quite a unicorn.
I always loved these cars and I've driven past that car dozens of times. I've never taken a close look at it but he's had it for sale for at least three years. I'm sure it's a limited market, but that should tell you something.
I thought that car looked familiar. I lived just below the dam on Rt 34, probably drove by it several times.

Yup. It's just a couple of miles south of the dam.

Woody
2/1/15 6:16 a.m.
jimbbski wrote: I looked at that ad for the brown project car for 3K. That dude is on crack! No way that pile of parts is worth 3K. I have seen running Capri's for less and very nice ones for 7-8K!

I agree.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/15 2:34 p.m.

They need more flares:

Woody
2/15/15 2:02 p.m.

Not mine, etc...

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4844903288.html

See Youtube video of car running and over 200 photos:

http://www.youtube.com/v/M5VoV_17yYY

I can be reached at two zero three four one seven six six two four.

Thank You

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
2/15/15 3:03 p.m.

A mild custom Capri but mostly stock looking. I prefer a clean paint job and not the stripes or lettering but perhaps the owner grew up during the 80's? If the body is solid then the price is very fair for what it looks like baring actually inspection.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/15/15 6:08 p.m.

My brother had a 1971 with a 2 liter/4 speed. It was not rusty, 'cuz South Carolina. It had all KINDS of stuff fall off of it, though; for instance the rear quarter glasses came off their hinges, could not be repaired properly so he bought some cheap plastic combs and jammed them in the corners. it never failed to run, though.

One night he was FLYING down a two track dirt road and hit a hump in the middle at speed. This shoved the transmission up and it's when he discovered the shifter was bolted to the body with rods running to the gearbox. The transmission movement jammed it into two gears at once with disastrous results. We couldn't find another Capri trans in the boneyard, the Pinto trans would bolt up but the shifter would have come out in a really weird spot so he had a guy at the Mercury dealer rebuild the trans as a sideline job. I remember it cost him a WAD.

He finally killed the poor thing by endo'ing it when he hit a washout on the side of the road at speed. If you don't know what an 'endo' is, here's the motorcycle version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjmxha6FXHc

After that, a GF had a 1976 Capri II with the Cologne V6. Fun little car but it suffered from the same 'parts falling off' syndrome as my brother's car, it's also the car where I learned that a bad master cylinder could lead to a dropping brake fluid level with no visible leaks. That's because the fluid was being sucked into the vacuum booster. IIRC the II was only 1975-77; from 1978 the Capri was built on the Mustang chassis here in the Great Satan.

A cousin also had a 1600 version which I think was a 1969, it was SOOOO slow... he slung a rod on the Kent motor so we swapped a 2000 into that one. Turned out the transmission input shaft had the wrong spline, it was smaller. Again we couldn't find a 2000 trans so we wound up using the 1600 disc on the 2000 motor. I don't know what the long term success was of that hybrid.

Oh, and something else I learned: the German Capri engines had a rear sump oil pan, the Pintos had a front sump. That served me well when I swapped a Pinto 2.0 into a 1968 Spitfire.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
2/16/15 9:02 a.m.

I think most of your problems were related to the driver/owner. Having owned nearly 1/2 doz. of them and knowing owners of others through various Capri car clubs over the years I would have to say that the build quality of these cars was better then the domestics of that era. The Capri had a few problems that could and did impact on it being drivable but the worst of these were recalled for fixes and the others were what I would consider minor.

TAParker
TAParker Reader
2/16/15 1:00 p.m.

Those were neat little cars!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e4jAUX62CmhYdRkKlFB7JtRQj13WspQfvVLUkOCR3UF8XNnSFTcxM9PoLbBOyl3q