belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
2/2/10 4:56 p.m.

would like to find an automatic trans, prefer a wagon. I tend to buy stuff wrecked & fix it. Anything I oughtta know in advance?

thanks fellas

irish44j
irish44j Reader
2/2/10 5:03 p.m.

you'll pay less for an auto wrx, since most people want MT. Plus, most of the autos are probably driven by soccer moms or teenage girls and are less likely to be thrashed form teenage guys (who tend to go MT).

Although, due to said dumb teenage guy drivers, there is no shortage of wrecked WRXs....especially if it has snowed recently in your area :)

(disclaimer, I have a wrx...)

I would browse the NASIOC, i-club, and clubWRX classifieds for a good deal....

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
2/2/10 5:28 p.m.

99% likelihood it would be a copart purchase

irish44j
irish44j Reader
2/2/10 5:30 p.m.

ah......

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/2/10 5:31 p.m.

understeer at the limit

grinch77
grinch77 Reader
2/2/10 5:33 p.m.

how much are you looking to spend?I know of a '05 WRX and a '06? Saab 92X both automatics.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/10 5:33 p.m.

i'd love to find a cosmetically damaged MT wrx and repair it, no auto for me.

i'm working my way up, i want one for my next DD. hopefully i make a bunch of money this year and can afford one before next winter.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
2/2/10 5:42 p.m.

generally try & spend no more than $5k all finished. the car would be for the wife.

I did get a GT cruiser with 15k miles for $2500 today. Needs about 1500-2000 worth of lovin. She nixed that one tho. "too ugly. Doesn't our neighbor already have one?"

Dav
Dav New Reader
2/2/10 7:19 p.m.

Does your wife like the looks of WRXes? My wife doesn't like mine. When we had to get her a new car, I tried to talk her into my WRX so "we" could get a newer usedeZ06, but my selflessness went unnoticed and she got a new G8 GT instead... .

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/10 7:24 p.m.

I own an 04 WRX 5 speed, but my nephew recently bought an 05 automatic. It was much better than I expected and I hate automatics.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/2/10 7:27 p.m.

I LIKE automatic turbo cars. Especially with big turbos. You only lag ONCE.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/2/10 8:42 p.m.

Yup just keep it pegged between shifts, and whalah! no lag! yay

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/10 8:48 p.m.

The automatic WRX have better center diffs, and they're cheap.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
2/2/10 9:02 p.m.

from 09 on, you can't buy an automatic WRX ;)

you can get a 2.5GT though, only comes in auto....

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
2/3/10 5:34 a.m.

For $5000, you can buy one that isn't wrecked, just with high miles. I think I'd go that route instead. Subaru front frame rails aren't the sturdiest, and frequently need replacement when they get hit halfway hard. Additionally, any Subaru hit in the front that you can't hear run should be viewed with extreme skepticism as it is very common for the timing belt to get blown off, which bends the valves. I've junked several repairable cars for this.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/3/10 6:12 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: I LIKE automatic turbo cars. Especially with big turbos. You only lag ONCE.

We drove a brand-new 2004 automatic WRX when considering a car for my wife, and neither of us liked it at all. Any time you asked it for power, the transmission was slow but insisted on downshifting all the time, which meant that you got a full second of interminable nothingness after which boost and kickdown arrived at exactly the same time with a real clunk and then finally the car would move.

Instead of a WRX if you want an automatic, consider the 2.5 RS/TS (or OBS) which is a torquier NA motor with a wider, lower powerband. I've got one for my daughter and it is a nice enough car.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/3/10 6:43 a.m.
Duke wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: I LIKE automatic turbo cars. Especially with big turbos. You only lag ONCE.
We drove a brand-new 2004 automatic WRX when considering a car for my wife, and neither of us liked it at all. Any time you asked it for power, the transmission was slow but insisted on downshifting all the time, which meant that you got a full second of interminable nothingness after which boost and kickdown arrived at exactly the same time with a real clunk and then finally the car would move. Instead of a WRX if you want an automatic, consider the 2.5 RS/TS (or OBS) which is a torquier NA motor with a wider, lower powerband. I've got one for my daughter and it is a nice enough car.

Sounds like the turbo isn't big enough for the HOLYOMGWEEEEE!!!!! factor.

Honestly? I would love to convert my MX6 to automatic. It would be hilarious. I could also then have both hands on the wheel at all times to better prevent it from commiting hari kari.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/3/10 9:35 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Sounds like the turbo isn't big enough for the HOLYOMGWEEEEE!!!!! factor.

From a standing start, with some preload, it would probably be fine and accelerate pretty well. But from a daily-driver-in-traffic standpoint it was pretty annoying.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
2/3/10 9:52 a.m.
Tyler H wrote: The automatic WRX have better center diffs, and they're cheap.

I hadn't heard of this before. Can you elaborate?

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
2/3/10 10:22 a.m.

I learned something today...

I didn't even know you could buy an automatic WRX.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
2/3/10 6:59 p.m.

Have you looked at the saab sister cars as well, they are about the same price, a little nice options though.

Andrew

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
t8k2trxIvmTJfSTOXNUfkS7GtptMPuK9lDTU6MyOasARAfdHwBTwdBmOSBIjI2DY