1 2 3
Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/2/15 11:38 a.m.

I wish I'd taken a picture in my local grocery store lot yesterday. I parked straight across from a jacked up Hummer with winches on both ends, Roo bars, roof lights, gun racks, etc. The funny part, his super huge tires were bald and a couple actually were showing cord.

We don't get much snow around here, but when we do it generally isn't ever plowed. I suspect said Hummer owner may need his winches before the winter is over. And that might be on flat ground.

There's a saying which I've found to often be true. "The difference in driving a 2-wheel drive & 4-whell drive in terrible winter weather is generally how deep into the snow bank you get before you need a tow."

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
1/2/15 12:55 p.m.

I have had many adventures in RWD vehicles in snow. In the big storms I worry that I shouldn't even try but after I get going I remember how easy and fun it is, unless you are dodging other cars or are stuck behind a flake braker that you can't pass.

The best car in the snow I ever owned was a '72 Ford torino 4 door 302. It could drive through any storm with no weight in the back. I did always have snow tires on the back wheels.

The worst car was a '92 Saturn SL2, it was so light that it would drive up on the snow then fall in making snow driving very slow.

In the world of SUVs everyone thinks I am crazy driving my '00 Mustang 3.8 in any kind of snow. No I can't drive through 2 feet of snow but the only time they don't plow is when the roads are closed. I have about 3oolbs in the back with airbags in the springs to keep the car level. I haven’t gotten stuck on the road once but I did have to take a second run up a hill. I learned that using second gear at WOT and letting the traction control do it's thing was the way to go.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
1/2/15 1:01 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Nobody will admit that they drive an AWD car with deep-tread winter tires - because that's pretty boring, right?

Call me a Boy Scout then.

205/60-16 General Altimax Arctic

I did drive my avatar car (99 miata with a torsen) on 185/60-14 star specs in the snow. Exactly once. I was not impressed with the gription and was doing it more as an experience anyway (Loved the balance of that car in the snow though) Sold it for a downpayment on a house last year and i've got the miata itch again.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/2/15 1:55 p.m.

I did try my Miata in about a half inch of snow with RE-11's. With an open diff.

I have to admit that I got along fine until I got stuck on a slope trying to get out of a friends driveway. Hence "winter mode" became a thing.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/2/15 3:56 p.m.

In Eastern NC, we don't get snow very often. However, last year we got about an inch of snow, and I was able to drift in it with my 91 Camaro with mostly stock suspension, open diff, and all season tires with no traction. I did get stuck on a flat road because it was icy. Luckily, a guy walking by gave me a push, and I was able to get back home without putting it in a ditch. It was cool seeing some guys driving their 4-wheelers in the neighborhood and on a side road. I lived in Colorado for a few years, and that's when I bought my first set of snow tires, it was like night and day difference in the snow. That was in 06, so the tire technology was good back then, and with a FWD beigemobile.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/15 4:05 p.m.

photo Snow012_zps11f98cf9.jpg

photo Snow022_zpsb0a533e5.jpg

dropstep
dropstep Reader
1/2/15 4:48 p.m.

ive managed to survive every winter in ohio in 2wd vehicles. my 81 marquis 2 door on bald 245/60/15's wasn't a bright idea but all I had running to get too work that day. drove an 86 Toyota pick up with old style v tread snow tires for 2 years, 89 mustang with the same v treads last winter. if the snow gets bad I drive a 2wd s10 with wranglers and weight in the bed. This part of ohio is flat and im in no hurry. ill motor on in my 2wd while your 6k lb 4wd slides off the road because your a dumbass who thinks 4wd means do 70 in bad weather!

Hal
Hal SuperDork
1/2/15 5:40 p.m.

Never had any problems driving in the snow. Took my driver's test 11/07/59. It snowed a couple inches the night before but my father had planned on taking me to take my test that day so we went. And I passed my test (only person there to take a test that morning).

To me my big win was driving from Irwin, PA to California, PA to college for 4 years and never missing class or being late. It was all 2 lane back roads with some big hills and often I was out there before the snow plows were. I drove a 58 Ford 2-door with "3 on the tree" and a big 6 cylinder under the hood. I did make sure I had a new set of $20 walnut shell retread snow tires on all four wheels each winter. They would be worn out by the end of the winter and I would get the carcasses retreaded again for the next winter

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
1/2/15 6:08 p.m.

The whole argument is that YES you can drive in winter with stock all season tires, many do.

BUT, once you have driven on winter tires, the difference is so great that you will never go back

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1ncESaHBhGc51BLuDslZWbS6N9G2z3wWPDBayR4VdkgALLYyOs5ZkXmLtq92kwaK