Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/24 12:20 p.m.

Rosie is just a hair too tall for my gf to get into on her own.  I'd like to figure out some rocker steps/side steps for her.  I don't have enough solid material on the floor to trust mounting them there, so I'm planning frame mounted.

I'd also like to have something that doesn't detract from the look of the truck.

Not sure at this point if I should look at buying something, or designing my own.

If it helps, frame is from a 4WD squarebody

Side view of truck for reference:

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
3/13/24 1:12 p.m.

I often see the aftermarket tube style steps at the U-Pick. Sometimes there are OEM ones too.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
3/13/24 1:37 p.m.

You could put power steps on if you don't want to see them.  Maybe find some at the junkyard off of some newer nice trucks

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/24 4:07 p.m.

I'ma suggest the correct solution to this problem. 

Airbags.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/24 7:58 p.m.

Nearly all of the "nerf" bars the aftermarket has to offer are mounted to the inner side of the rocker panel, which means they'll either fall off one day, or you already have nowhere to bolt them.  I bought some nice Westin bars for an F250 before crawling under to check, and sure enough, they never got installed because there was nothing to bolt to.  I did have the idea of making some 2" square tube stumps to stick out from the frame, but never did it.

I'm sure someone of your welding talent can come up with something.  You could almost use some SS exhaust tube.  Not beefy, but it would get the job done, and not rust away.  

Second option I might suggest is to make you taller instead of adding the step:

Period correct:

https://www.lmctruck.com/1967-72-chevy-gmc/step-bars-running-boards/cb-1967-72-step-bars

I would just bend some out of 1.25 steel tube and weld to the chassis.  Weld some expanded metal on top to prevent slipping.

Mr_Asa
3/13/24 8:40 p.m.

I've thought of fabbing my own.  My concern is getting something together that looks decent and doesn't look out of place.  I have no issue with fabbing or even getting something that looks alright, but getting it to fit the look is gonna be... fun.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/24 8:50 p.m.

I've never liked the looks or reduced ground clearance of fixed side steps either. Look into either springloaded retractable side steps (often called "spring steps") or powered running boards. Both fold up against the body of the truck when not in use.

I've thought that for something ridiculously tall like an Ultra4 truck, a telescoping pole with a step at the bottom like mecha anime characters use to board from the ground would be cool, but nobody's done it yet laugh

Mr_Asa
3/13/24 8:57 p.m.

I did see this on the 'gram and it got me all excited.

A post shared by C10 Truck Podcast (@c10talk)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4BMAP7RJ1W/?igsh=MjNhOXBkMnFzYW4=

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
3/13/24 9:07 p.m.

Your truck is crying out for an NOS set of those aluminum diamond plate running boards that I remember from the 70s and early 80s.

Mr_Asa
3/14/24 5:21 p.m.

Guys at the H.A.M.B. pointed out that the C60 had something that might fit the design language.  I'm gonna sketch something up like this that tucks underneath the body.  I like the louvers as grips.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
3/14/24 5:27 p.m.

I like that idea a lot! 

I was going to suggest diamond plate 80s style until I saw that

Mr_Asa
3/14/24 5:42 p.m.

Kinda like this...

Won't stick out quite as far, maybe an inch or two past the furthest point on the door (so the door latch/pull), and only 4-6" below the sill.  Minimum of 8" deep...

Maybe not quite as long as the full door?

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/14/24 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Beat me to it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/14/24 8:10 p.m.

Somehow I can see homemade tube running boards looking like they belong on that truck, but only if you paint them white.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
3/14/24 8:35 p.m.

Something like these from a Toyota FJ Cruiser....flat black, so not too modern looking....Product photo of Running boards for Toyota FJ Cruiser

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bf5QCQawdRWOgNFdjstd5I7SARiJyBRUFPUaZpO2zUJhOd33zwJlJfTCTLN7Hhap