1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/10/24 12:44 p.m.
feature_image

BMW says its 5 Series is all-new for the 2024 model year, with an all-electric version–the i5–joining the lineup for the first time.

[BMW i5 M60: The ideal mix of sportiness and comfort?]

This week, we have a gas-powered 5 Series to drive and review, an “entry-level” 530i.

Yes, the exterior has been updated to match BMW’s current love-it-or-hate-it …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/10/24 1:12 p.m.

Guess we’ll start with the exterior. Definitely follows BMW’s latest design language as there’s a lot of M2 in there–look at those harsh angles in the front bumper cover, for exanple–although, personally, I think the taillights are too thin. I like chonky lights at the rear of my modern BMWs. 

David S. Wallens
7/10/24 1:13 p.m.

Do we like the grille?

Or does it look a bit too much like those iconic BMW kidneys have been grafted onto something else? Is there some Alfa in here? Maserati? Toyota? 

David S. Wallens
7/10/24 1:20 p.m.

But, the big thing: Driving it.

We put some miles on this one, mostly highways and back roads. Did you see that we took it down a dirt road, too? The GPS said it was a shortcut. 

The 530i felt very comfortable with high marks for seat support and steering wheel meatiness. No fatigue after a few hours behind the wheel which is something you’d likely want in a 5 Series.

Very quiet interior with just a touch of wind noise. Again, a comfortable place for gobbling up those miles. 

Steering felt overboosted at lower speeds but feels rather natural once cruising. Could be something you just get used to, too. It bugged me at first but now it doesn’t. YMMV.

David S. Wallens
7/10/24 1:23 p.m.

Now, something that doesn’t add up–or, maybe a few things.

BMW lists engine output as 255 horsepower along with 295 lb.-ft. of torque. It seems to pull harder than those numbers would indicate. No complaints, obviously, but an observation. A happy one, in fact. 

Some credit has to go to that smooth-shifting, eight-speed automatic. For around-town use, I’m flicking the lever back for sport shifting–a little crisper with some lower gear selection. No desire to manually shift it as it seems to know exactly what I want. 

On the highway, I’ll leave it non-sport mode for the mpg. 

David S. Wallens
7/10/24 1:26 p.m.

The other math that doesn’t quite add up:

BMW says the car should get 30 mpg combined–so 27 city, 35 highway.

Without really trying, I’m seeing 34 mpg combined. That was some interstate (with the cruise set) but mostly back roads (so no cruise set).

David S. Wallens
7/10/24 1:34 p.m.

More to come. 

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/24 1:54 p.m.

We just got a new M2 and I'm loving the look of it. This one, from some angles it looks good, others I'm not sure yet.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/10/24 2:16 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

It looks like a new Crown with ugly wheels and an even-uglier front fascia.

None of that is complimentary.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/24 3:07 p.m.

I like the look overall.  The grills are to big. They need to go back to something closer to the E60 grill size. It would not be a deal breaker.  Otherwise I like the rest of the car. 

David S. Wallens
7/10/24 3:31 p.m.

I’m driving this to Mecum’s Kissimmee sale tomorrow.

Any guesses as to what it will fetch?

I AM KIDDING, BMW!

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel SuperDork
7/10/24 10:58 p.m.

I looked at David's "Do we like the grille?" photo and I instantly saw Scaredy Squirrel's nervous smile. Now I can't unsee it.

David S. Wallens
7/11/24 10:32 a.m.

Colin Wood
7/11/24 11:00 a.m.

chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
7/11/24 11:03 a.m.

BMW has been blatantly lying about power outputs since the day they started installing turbochargers. 

If you pull up the torque and power displays, you'll find that the "250" hp B48 can hold 320 lbs*ft up to 5000 RPM. That's 300 horsepower no matter how you slice it.  The mid-output B58 sixes are nearly 450. 

They're not the worst offenders. Nissan rated the 3.0t in the Q50 at 300 hp and 295 lbs*ft. It shoved a 4100-lb sedan to a 105-mph trap speed. You know what can't make a 4100-lb sedan run 105 in the quarter? A 426 Hemi or 454 LS6, or a 345-hp 5.7 liter LS1. 

David S. Wallens
7/11/24 11:29 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

Awwww.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/11/24 11:36 a.m.

I will take the grill of this over the nostrils they have been using.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/11/24 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I mean, it's not notably worse.

jerel77494
jerel77494 Reader
7/11/24 1:59 p.m.

I had one as a loaner for a few weeks. Steering was over boosted at low speed, lane departure warning system was intrusive and inconsistent and the adaptive cruise control suddenly slowed me from 65 to 55 FOR NO REASON while I was in the middle lane of the interstate with someone close behind me. Unless BMW can tell me how to TURN THAT @#%$ OFF , I'll never buy a new one! My daughter owns a Mercedes SUV with the same features and she doesn't like them either.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/11/24 3:08 p.m.

In reply to jerel77494 :

Adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning systems are the thing today with today's cars. I don't like the huge gaps adaptive cruise control leaves - I find I get cut off a lot with it. The lane departure system is nice, though, unless you're on a curvy road. Both usually can be turned off, though.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/11/24 3:36 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Both our Volvos have adaptive cruise and lane departure.

I turned my lane departure warning off because I move around a lot in my lane (on purpose, smart guys) and it was a bit annoying, especially on curvy roads.  DW left hers on, and it's not too intrusive when I drive her car.

For the cruise, we both have them set to the closest distance Volvo allows, or maybe one click out.  At the default position it seems like you're a hundred yards behind and it brakes for anybody that moves through the huge gap, which of course happens a lot.

bladebrakers101
bladebrakers101 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/12/24 8:55 a.m.

I drove my friends 330 M sport on tail of the dragon and the steering felt like my FRS. We felt it could embarrass some sports cars with how well it drove and felt

David S. Wallens
7/12/24 9:17 a.m.

Lane departure is off on our tester. 

Drove it to Mecum’s Kissimmee sale yesterday, so about 1:15 each way. 

Still one of the most comfortable highway cruisers in recent memory. The steering still feels a tad overboosted at slow speeds but comes into its element on the highway. Could easily drive the 530i coast to coast. 

David S. Wallens
7/15/24 9:12 a.m.

Still a comfortable “just drive around” car. :) 

Colin Wood
7/15/24 10:09 a.m.

I drove from Sanford to Hernando Beach (and back) over the weekend.

Not that my Fit couldn't handle it, but I spent a good part of the drive wondering how much more pleasant it would be if I were driving the 530i.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UUvsMdtm1fh3SH1HdVsgunPEDvDyXuRkO8cv0bqxkrUCvPa1Vmftlgulo29WSSSL