1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/19/24 9:13 a.m.

And why I was in Lakeland with the Escalade: to see my friend Maka.

David S. Wallens
6/19/24 9:15 a.m.

So, something with the Escalade V: It makes a loud vroom at start. It’s very vroomy. 

Normally, we like that, right? But when jockeying cars in the driveway after midnight, wouldn’t mind a stealth mode....

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/19/24 3:56 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'm not sure stealthy is in the DNA of Cadillacs laugh

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/19/24 4:07 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'm not sure stealthy is in the DNA of Cadillacs laugh

Spoken like a true Cadillac owner. wink

David S. Wallens
6/19/24 4:12 p.m.

The Escalade is actually rather timid around town and a bit slower than expected to kickdown. But when it does, yeah, all the power. Less blower whine than expected. 

If only, somehow, this kind of performance could be packaged in something that sat a little closer to the ground. Trying to think what this is for other than impressing people. 

The old Dodge Ram SRT-10 (the one with the wing) put you high in the saddle. This is even taller. 

David S. Wallens
6/19/24 5:06 p.m.

Tom just picked up the Escalade V from my house.

Holy crow it’s loud at startup.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/24 5:32 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Tom just picked up the Escalade V from my house.

Holy crow it’s loud at startup.

If it wasn't, how would everyone know that they have to look at you?

David S. Wallens
6/19/24 6:46 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

And I think you just answered my question. Or something. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
6/19/24 6:54 p.m.

I've put 20 miles on it so far and averaged something like 13 mpg. Yes, I have it in "V mode" which is basically a crackle tune paired with the most aggressive drivetrain and chassis settings. An old man yelled at me, and a Tesla owner floored it to get away from me. This is the Harley of luxury SUVs. The complete opposite of a sleeper.

And I absolutely LOVE IT. No, it's not that quick. 4.4 seconds to 60 is just meh in the modern world of fast SUVs. And in corners, it's competent but still soft, floaty, and vague. It's no BMW. But it's comfortable, quicker than most other SUVs in traffic, and oh my god, the noises. The crackles. The lightning quick up shifts with the perfect throttle cut farts during them. This thing is a riot. I'd never want to live with it every day, but like a rental super car it's fun for an evening.

I drove it to the gym, and ended up with a full SUV of passengers who demanded a ride before I could leave. They had an absolute blast. Oh, and Super Cruise really does drive itself on the highway.

I have no idea why it's $161,000, but it's super cool. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/24 8:01 p.m.

It's $161k because a big part of owning an Escalade is showing that you paid a lot of money for a tarted up Tahoe.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
6/19/24 9:49 p.m.

Comparatively, gas is cheap.  Watching $100k of depreciation go up in smoke is the real expense.  

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
6/19/24 10:06 p.m.

I could have used the room this week, I stuffed my 2 door Bronco for a week vacation at the river:

3 passengers, so I had to keep one of the back seats upright. But, not only could I fold the other one, I even removed it - which gave me a few more precious inches of cargo space. I packed an XL folding wagon, Blackstone griddle, toolbag, 3 folding chairs, 2 volleyballs, 2 large plastic tubs of food, 3 suitcases, sheets, blankets, pillows, a case of Gatorade, case of water, bag of charcoal, and a very large Igloo cooler (on a HF aluminum cargo rack in the receiver hitch).

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/21/24 12:15 p.m.

The Instagram algorithm must know me: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6JdOOBohKs/?igsh=MTdlYnZqNmV4Zmlheg==

No Escalades were harmed while in our possession. 😉

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i1siYVdBuAYHxxi4d7UKl6PnwjEsGCvkXB9JuPyhTBCSHiKCvArZ3c32lQYkf1Q8