Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/18/24 1:31 p.m.
feature_image

Can lightning really strike the same place twice? Yes, it can, per the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration:

Lightning can, and often does, strike the same place repeatedly–especially if it’s a tall and isolated object. For example, the Empire State Building is hit about 25 times per year.

We also know that lightning can strike the same place twice because …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
10/18/24 1:35 p.m.

For a more in-depth look into driving (and owning) an F-150 Lightning, be sure to check out Tom's ownership/build thread: Is an Electric Pickup Truck A Terrible Idea? (My 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Build Thread)

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
10/18/24 2:04 p.m.

$90K!? For that price I'd buy a new Maverick AND and a new Elantra N and a new Miata. Almost; 1 of them might need to be used to fit under $90K. But still, I struggle to see a large target audience at this price point. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/24 2:37 p.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

This thing's a lot more capable than a Maverick when it comes to truck things.

I was able to get an ICE F-150 up to $90k without a lot of effort by selecting bells and whistles and tow packages.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/24 3:03 p.m.

No comment on the truck, because, yawn, another $90k truck, who cares?

BUT

I wanted to say that was a great intro to the article.  Nice writing Colin!

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/18/24 3:07 p.m.

If Ford hadn't screwed up the launch and dealer allocations on the first run, I'd own a Lightning now. 

Unfortunately they screwed the pooch and I'm highly unlikely to buy a new Ford again, let alone one that is now 90k. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/24 3:21 p.m.

Initial impressions as it just showed up and I haven’t driven one before: It’s among the more traditional EVs that I have experienced. How’s that? It has a regular truck-like shifter. No knob, no buttons, no electronic joystick. 

More to come. 

Colin Wood
10/18/24 4:03 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Thanks! I glad you liked it.

It was fun writing it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/24 5:34 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

It is a good, engaging lede. :)