1 2 3
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/24 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Also consider that for <$30k LITERALLY nothing exists that is anything more then that.  

The Civic Si eeks in at 29,100 MSRP.  

As good as availability of genuinely exciting fast as ever possible cars there are in 2024 unless you are spending $35k plus it's just jellybean same sameness.  

Inflation adjusted that wasn't always the case and it's sad now.  

Even 10 years ago for an inflation adjusted current dollars of $15-20k you could get some decent stuff that you could build excitement around.   Look at what people are doing with Honda Fits in GL.  There just isn't that now.  I don't think it's coming back either.  Maybe electrics will help but it seems the barrier to entry for those is about $30k right now.  

Snrub
Snrub Dork
8/7/24 10:58 p.m.

I wonder if the OEM tires are part of the issue with the car getting pushed around by wind. My wife's '16 accent was very nervous at highway speeds. After the first winter we replaced the OEM tires (175/70/14) with some general RT43 185/65/14 and the problem was solved. Her Michelin xice3s in 175/70/14 were fine too. 

Snrub
Snrub Dork
8/7/24 11:09 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
David S. Wallens said:

The Versa delivered an adequate, serviceable experience

I sometimes need to remind myself that for 90% of drivers on the road, this is all that needs to be offered.

Not everything has to break the mold or reinvent the wheel.

I know I'm the oddball compared to the general population, but I can't get through my head that that basic unexceptional stuff is what most people drive in the form of crossovers and trucks, except those vehicles have additional capability which is used <5% of the time. People just pay 3-6x for that <5% capability...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/8/24 6:56 a.m.
Colin Wood said:
David S. Wallens said:

The Versa delivered an adequate, serviceable experience

I sometimes need to remind myself that for 90% of drivers on the road, this is all that needs to be offered.

Not everything has to break the mold or reinvent the wheel.

I would say that at least 50% of drivers on the road have a very real need for a transmission that doesn't grenade after 100,000 miles. cheeky

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/8/24 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Snrub :

It could be tires. Or alignment. Or the conditions of the day. 

David S. Wallens
8/8/24 3:54 p.m.

Tire photo since we were discussing them. And, yup, rear drums, too. 

David S. Wallens
8/8/24 3:54 p.m.

Tire photo since we were discussing them. And, yup, rear drums, too. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6vOzgDcbcb1tM5MxGkCjMCxmh7hTuHWjHDR70FrKBS8BMIGJ1wqndfuWeAiQOpiQ