1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/20/23 3:38 p.m.
feature_image

Wanna ride shotgun with the GRM crew?

Welcome to this week’s test vehicle, a 2023 Kia EV6 GT. Yep, the GT, all 576 horsepower. Is it as brutal–yet as comfortable–as expected? Keep an eye on this thread.

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
10/20/23 3:39 p.m.

Reverse angle:

David S. Wallens
10/20/23 3:39 p.m.

Interior angle:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/23 3:42 p.m.

I have seen 3 of these locally in the last week. They are super sharp. I'm curious if the range is as good as they predict.

David S. Wallens
10/20/23 3:43 p.m.

Window sticker angle:

David S. Wallens
10/20/23 3:44 p.m.

First impressions: comfortable, attractive, the right size, quality touch points and it’s way, way quick.

More to come. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/20/23 3:49 p.m.

I still think this looks like the family version of the EagleMK1  (this is a good thing)

I think its really only the headlight angle and wheel humps that do it.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/20/23 3:57 p.m.

I've only driven it from David's house to mine, so only like 4-5 miles, but, dang...

The whole experience feels very curated. It's like Kia knows that cars get judged on plenty of esoteric, difficult-to-quantify metrics, so they took great care to make the entire experience feel like someone cared about it and took time to make sure it "feels" right. The whole package feels nicely sorted.

More thoughts as I accrue a few more miles. It's plugged into my Level2 now, getting topped off.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/23 4:01 p.m.

Stop.  It.

We don't need an 8th car in a 2 driver household...

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/23 4:02 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

They only rate it for 206 miles.  Doesn't seem like a high benchmark.

I would be interested to know that if driven nicely, with regen on and in an "eco" mode if it has one, if it could significantly better that rating?  

I would also be curious to see how far it would go in a charge when it's 20 degrees outside (boo, unlikely to happen in FL).

JG Pasterjak
10/20/23 4:26 p.m.
Loweguy5 said:

In reply to bobzilla :

They only rate it for 206 miles.  Doesn't seem like a high benchmark.

I would be interested to know that if driven nicely, with regen on and in an "eco" mode if it has one, if it could significantly better that rating?  

I would also be curious to see how far it would go in a charge when it's 20 degrees outside (boo, unlikely to happen in FL).

The meter was showing 230 miles of range in ECO mode when I picked it up, and David had put around 10 miles on it. When I got home—mostly stop and go driving—range hadn't changed.

I'm going to Orlando on Sunday, which is about 50 miles each way of mostly freeway, so that will give me a better idea of actual cruise range. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/20/23 4:27 p.m.

How's it compare to the Ioniq 5? They're platform-mates right?

David S. Wallens
10/20/23 4:43 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

It’s nice, right? 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/20/23 4:47 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Window sticker angle:  $62,865.00

Am I the only one who winces and nearly clutches my chest when I see the sticker price of new cars these days?  I must be getting old, man.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/20/23 4:59 p.m.
nderwater said:
David S. Wallens said:

Am I the only one who winces and nearly clutches my chest when I see the sticker price of new cars these days?  I must be getting old, man.

Fellow old man here.

I was just reading the FocusST thread and checked prices.  $20k for a used focus with 80-100k on it surprise?  berkeley me

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/20/23 5:25 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
nderwater said:
David S. Wallens said:

Fellow old man here.

I was just reading the FocusST thread and checked prices.  $20k for a used focus with 80-100k on it surprise?  berkeley me

My internal wallet is stuck in 2009. The prices can make sense and be reasonable... Still crazy.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/20/23 5:34 p.m.

I'm not at that price point either but when matched up to it's contemporary, The Tesla Y, this Kia is killing it for looks, especially in this fully loaded form.  

Retail on a similar Model Y seems to be $55-$57k

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/20/23 5:38 p.m.
nderwater said:
David S. Wallens said:

Window sticker angle:

Not alone

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
10/20/23 6:22 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Then I guess I'm old too.....

Just checked and the top of the range GT(no accessories or add ons) here on the east coast of Canada is $91,500 out the door.

Yeah I'm sure is nice but this peasant can only watch as it drives by.

JG Pasterjak
10/20/23 7:35 p.m.
nderwater said:
David S. Wallens said:

Welcome to the age of 84 and 96 month car loans. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/23 11:32 p.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 :

I was thinking if the non gt with the 306 rated range. 

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
10/21/23 3:37 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

It sucks, but on the other hand, I remember my folks buying a '79 in the early 90s, and some people were aghast at buying such an ' old car'. My daily is 18yrs old, and I don't give it's reliability a second thought. Cars last a lot longer than they used to. 

JG Pasterjak
10/22/23 10:40 a.m.

Okay we're off to the big city with a full charge a song in our hearts and a smile on our lips. Should be doing about 150+ miles today, so I'm curious to see how the expected range stands up to reality. 

David S. Wallens
10/22/23 11:28 a.m.

Safe travels to the big city. Yesterday I-4 was busy but moving. (At least as far as Lake Mary, where we got off.)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/23 11:39 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I still think this looks like the family version of the EagleMK1  (this is a good thing)

I think its really only the headlight angle and wheel humps that do it.

Ah, another Carmageddon player smiley

Every time I see this pop up, I see "EV GT6" and think Triumph.

576 horsepower, though...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
huiahdymtgXXJViUFDktH3EX7DGI4GHffNvCVNlwvft8TZ0AjIbMmX8Y4MkjEoSc