1 2
bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/20/15 1:45 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

For reference, I sold my 01 Sierra 2500 ext cab 4wd, rusty in the same places, 134k miles, new tires, for $4500. I thought I was pricing it to sell, and I did sell it to the first person that looked at it. I don't know what the truck above is worth, but in my area it's nothing close to $9k.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/20/15 1:47 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:
At hockey Sunday night, I heard two different guys comment that they were contemplating buying new F-250s "now that the price of gas has dropped." Next season they'll be whining terribly about fuel consumption, I'll bet.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/20/15 1:50 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:
Living in Quebec when I bought my first few cars taught me that. I found a nice dry chicken barn to rent for winter storage for my good car and drove a series of $150 Corollas through the winters.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/20/15 2:04 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: In reply to NOHOME: Living in Quebec when I bought my first few cars taught me that. I found a nice dry chicken barn to rent for winter storage for my good car and drove a series of $150 Corollas through the winters.

Thing is, for me, winter is the least desirable time to drive a beater that might break down or make me suffer more from winter than I already do. With me its more just a case of not getting attached to the DD knowing that it is going to be junk by year ten. As long as I can afford to buy new for cash every ten years, this works for me.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/15 2:30 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: In reply to NOHOME: Living in Quebec when I bought my first few cars taught me that. I found a nice dry chicken barn to rent for winter storage for my good car and drove a series of $150 Corollas through the winters.
Thing is, for me, winter is the least desirable time to drive a beater that might break down or make me suffer more from winter than I already do. With me its more just a case of not getting attached to the DD knowing that it is going to be junk by year ten. As long as I can afford to buy new for cash every ten years, this works for me.

Agreed. Life is too short to spend a third of it driving crapwagons.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/20/15 3:02 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
NOHOME wrote:
Agreed. Life is too short to spend a third of it driving crapwagons.

The one that really makes me shake my head is the guy who puts his "Good" car in the garage all winter, while making payments on the thing!

tjbell
tjbell Reader
1/20/15 3:18 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to Tom_Spangler: I don't even look for rust-free cars. I just look for the rust holes that are less complex to fix or aren't part of the structure.

This

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/20/15 3:18 p.m.

Well. I've never made car payments. This is GRM, we all have low cost cars. I drove Toyotas, they never crapped out on me. The last one did break in half when my mother took a train track too quickly, so we counted that as a free month of room and board. And these were $150 in 1976 dollars. It was actually a lot of fun running a beater around country roads in a Quebec winter back then.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/20/15 3:19 p.m.

Oh, and the good car, a 1975 Ford Granada, had rust holes through the doors by 1979 anyway.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/20/15 3:22 p.m.

Think about what I just wrote.....my winter beater $150 cars were 1972 Corollas (3 of them) that I drove in the late 70s. They were only 6,7 and 8 years old when I finished them off. Our newest vehicle today is already 8 years old. Times have changed and cars are much better protected against rust.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
1/20/15 3:57 p.m.

I came from up there. Before moving down here to Florida I was in Maryland and north of Pittsburgh. I drove my Miata around for 2 years with nothing but carpet between my feet and the road. Then I got a rust-free tub and moved everything over...

...I think I need to branch out more. I'm still on my first street car. Heck, I've had 3 race cars (E36 race car stuck up in Maryland right now because I have no place to store it down here) and just the one for the street.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
1/20/15 5:18 p.m.

this is why im amazed my wagon isn't rusted apart. its a 78 and has spent its entire life in this section of ohio. my 98 s10 needs cab corners and rocker extensions lol

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bkyPiHuuxL5oCojog57B6kPUdGIEMfzAQzv67EpTOOqhFhRSHGyyVvesvvIPIyK5