bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/19/24 10:30 p.m.

Reaching out for a bit of advice from the crew here. 

The car is a JDM import. 96 Mitsubishi Mirage RS. It's got the Mitsubishi equivalent of the B16A which is the 4g92 Mivec. 

Originally from the factory, the car had a helical LSD in it but at some point, it got removed and a Cusco RS LSD got put in it. The car is extremely pushy with it in and the turn-in is really garbage to be honest. I just hate the way it drives in it. 

Last weekend, I put in my spare non-LSD transmission and it was really just drove the way I wanted. It's the mirage that I thought I was buying. So now I have the Cusco RS LSD and a Kaaz SQ LSD sitting on the bench and wanted some thoughts of what I need to do from a setup point of view to make it more act like the non-LSD transmission. I would love to get the factory original Helical but they are super rare and I haven't seen one for sale in years. 

So any advice from the Hive?? Love to get some ideas. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/24 11:18 p.m.

You might want to try the same kind of setup I like on RWD cars: no lockup on decel, none on coast/no preload, and just enough lockup on accel to keep one-wheel-peeling in check. From there you might want to consider adding more accel lockup, but avoid the temptation to try fixing suspension problems with diff solutions...

Being pushy on turn-in suggests that it has a lot of decel lockup right now.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/24 6:17 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Or simply too much (any) preload.  Hell, lots of preload on a REAR drive car makes it an understeering pig on turn-in.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/20/24 6:47 a.m.

Is a Quaife available?

Short of that, contact Jonathan Lugod (Shaftworks) and have him build up an OS Giken for you.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/26/24 9:55 a.m.

Andy, 

I wish I had those options available. The joys of loving an odd ball car. The quaife is a possibility with custom CVs as they made it for the larger cars with the 27 spline axles (I have 25 spline stock). I'm not going to rule that out in the future but we I wanted to try to use what I have today. 

So I pulled apart the Cusco and It was brand new inside but it really looked like they set it up wrong. There were 8 plates on one side and 7 on the other side. So have an open call into cusco USA for where I can get the right plates for it. Not sure what the story was there. If it was setup right, It was 100% lock on accel so that was not helping things. 

In the mean time, I've set the Kaaz at the softest setting (35% Lock) and we will see what happens. I didn't get a lot slip on my non LSD transmission so I don't think I need a hard lock on it. 

Overall, I've been scared of transmission work in the past and it really was pretty simple. I took my time and ran through everything twice. I learned a lot in the process. So regardless of the results, it was a win! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kJazByK2JjmhV369hWPImwmV34f4MdkVGaK9v1f9vTPFwfCUebTRxX0H07GBLxvS