1 2
jrflying
jrflying New Reader
7/17/13 3:32 p.m.

Teach me about these different trucks. It will be used as a grocery and baby hauler down here in Texas. We are trying to decide between 2005 explorer xls, 2007 trailblazer, 2005 pathfinder, and a 2005 Xterra. All are around the same price and all have right around 100k miles. What are common issues? I know most domestics are non interference engines. What about the Nissans? All are v6s also. Suggestions oh knowledgeable ones!

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/17/13 3:48 p.m.

Other than the fact that a minivan works better for hauling people and things, I'd have to say the trailblazer might be a better deal in general.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/17/13 4:29 p.m.

My brother has a Trailblazer of about that vintage with ~115K miles. While reliable (except for a rear axle which disassembled itself) it just doesn't feel like it's tightly bolted together.

No experience with that age Exploder or Pathfinder.

There's two Xterras in the immediate circle, both are good rigs which feel tight even with over 100k. They do have timing belts, not chains, and are interference engines. 100k is the recommended interval. They are sorta jiggly riding, might not concern you, and to me seem a bit underpowered. I have heard of transmission failures via the grapevine but neither of these has shown a bit of trouble.

klb67
klb67 New Reader
7/17/13 4:36 p.m.

In reply to jrflying:

The 2006+ Explorer had some nice upgrades over the 2005 Explorer - might look there. I have a 2007 with 100K+ miles on it since new to me at 18K miles.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/13 5:08 p.m.

I keep trying to trade mine for a boat.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
7/17/13 5:09 p.m.

Why no unibody alternatives? They typically get better fuel economy, ride better, handle better, stop better, and are every bit as capable at hauling kids/groceries.

windsordeluxe
windsordeluxe New Reader
7/17/13 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

The 2005 Xterra is a totally different beast than the ones your friends are driving. The 2005 is based on the F-Alpha platform that is shared with the Titan and the Frontier. Compared to the 1st gen, the 2005 is much more refined, has 85 more hp and does not have a timing belt like the 3.3. The rumors of transmission failures on the 2005 up Xterras are true. The transmission coolers develop leaks within the radiator allowing coolant to be pushed into the transmission causing failure. Fortunately, if you add an auxiliary ATF cooler and bypass the OEM cooler, you never risk having this problem. This also applies to the Pathfinder as it is essentially the same except it has an independent rear suspension. I have a 2001 Xterra. Comparing it to the 2nd gen, it is gutless and unrefined. They say the 1st generation is far superior off road but, I'm pretty sure most folks will never need that extra 10% off road.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/17/13 10:39 p.m.

Out of those i would take the pathfinder, with the trailblazer a somewhat distant second.

I seem to remember you used to have a Grand Cherokee with a bunch of stupid issues and probably dont want another one, which puts that right out.

But you also mentioned before that your wife liked Vues. How about a Vue Redline? "honda reliability" in the engine compartment is a good selling point to the wife..

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Event Marketing
7/17/13 11:27 p.m.

2nd Gen Trooper

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/17/13 11:59 p.m.

Why a list of truck based SUVs for baby/grocery duty? I understand being limited by what is available locally in your price range, but otherwise Driven5 hit it on the head.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/18/13 5:33 a.m.

Every person I've talked to who owns the Nissans complains about the fuel mileage. Just like Jeep Liberty and Dodge Durango owners. The Nissans are also rust prone. They must still make them from the same steel as B210s. Early Pathfinders are being bought back in droves by Nissan for structural rust.

I don't like Trailblazers. I think they are ugly, but that's personal taste. They seem to be assembled with indifferent build quality and they drive like something at least 10 years older than they are.

Why no Grand Cherokee on the list? I think they are much superior to most of the vehicles listed. And no, I don't own one nor am some kind of Jeep fanatic. Just my opinion of doing insurance claims for 20 years and seeing and driving lots of vehicles.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/18/13 5:46 a.m.

Buy a rav4 or crv instead. Much better mileage and more comfortable. Unless you actually need to haul anything, the cute ute will be a better choice.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/18/13 10:17 a.m.

If unibody is on the table i DEFINITELY suggest rav4 or CRV over any of the trucks OP listed... but still behind the unibody Vue Redline for 250hp's sake.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
7/18/13 10:28 a.m.

Suzuki XL-7.

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
7/18/13 10:49 a.m.

Yea the GC didn't work out too well. Its still in the immediate family and still having numerous problems. I think the rav4 and crv are a bit too small. I have also been looking at the ZL-7 but I don't know much about them. I'm mostly worried about prices and availability of parts since Suzuki USA went bankrupt.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
7/18/13 10:51 a.m.

We had an Xterra, albeit the first generation, but we also had a few newer ones between our families. They drive and ride much better than the odler Xterras and were all dead reliable other than items that wear out as expected. But, as mentioned, gas mileage was never it's strong point. If you deal with snow at all (probably not, since, well, Texas), ours was a tank and took me safely through many noreasters on the 95 corridor when I had to commute between NYC and Boston regularly. If you want a bit more refinement in the same reliability and style of packaging, go with the Pathfinder. My family rode out a Pathfinder to almost 300k miles before it was eventually traded in on a new car. My experience with Explorers was never great, though I always had soft spot for them, especially the Sports.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Event Marketing
7/18/13 10:51 a.m.

How many kids?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/18/13 11:01 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv:

Um, Google 'Grand Cherokee window regulator problem'.

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
7/18/13 11:08 a.m.

Haha that's one of the problems it has had. The new issue is it won't stay running in reverse. Gonna try replacing the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. Seems like something new always. Jeeps have never been great when it comes to electrical and that is the part that I am worst at fixing.

Fueled by Caffeine
7/18/13 11:38 a.m.

A rav4 or crv's actual usable space will be higher or equal with thr bigger SUV's.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/13 11:44 a.m.

Get a Highlander. With FWD and a 4 it gets 30mpg at 80+mph all day long.

Underneath it is a Camry so it's boring, etc. however it is dead nuts reliable and comfortable and the later models had an optional 3rd row seat.

Still not as much room as a minivan and putting babies in the seats sucks ass compared to a minivan. When we had to haul more than 4 people we borrowed my Dad's minivan. Hauling a bunch of plants or insulation for the garage? Minivan.

Our 2001 has been a great DD rig. Even with the 2.4, it has enough power to get out of its own way and it handles pretty well for a jacked up Camry. The brakes could use some help, but for non-enthusiasts they are more than adequate and the ABS works pretty well.

Fueled by Caffeine
7/18/13 12:03 p.m.

Take this from a father of young kids who had a rav4 and now a van. Sliding doors and baby seats are winners. Regular doors and infant carriers are doable, but not ideal.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/18/13 12:30 p.m.

The Pathfinders have a (small) 3rd row, so more seating than the Xterra. I totally agree that a CR-V or Rav4 is better though--better usable space, WAY better fuel economy, and extremely practical. How about a Mazda5? Everyone here loves them, and unless you have more than 2 kids you'l probably have plenty of room.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/18/13 1:06 p.m.

Highlanders are awesome! Get a Hybrid and it will be way faster than you expect and get close to 30 mpg. :)

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/18/13 2:43 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Other than the fact that a minivan works better for hauling people and things, I'd have to say the trailblazer might be a better deal in general.

Ford guy here and I agree with the above suggestion. I love the nissans but they suck fuel. I don't actually think they burn it. I think they sneak out and send some back to Japan to power their Kei Trucks.

I have a Rav 4 4cyl that gets 26 hwy and around 20 in town. Works well in the flat. Should serve you well in TX.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ksyfrQSOO1HXbMF7cjNhp9SdTOnYNBomCgYwtnhHME5v04TApNIB5fWAnrKlOtNG