1 ... 3 4 5 6
iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/24/18 5:58 p.m.

Full floater rear ends in Willys trucks were extremely rare. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/18 6:31 p.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

NASCAR didn't start going to IRP until the 80s.  It was likely meant to run with USAC or ARCA.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/24/18 7:48 p.m.

Were dirt/asphalt modifieds ever setup for road course, or were they exclusively  circle track?

Wally
5/24/18 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

They were.  The NASCAR tour ran the Daytona road course for a while and more recently made stops at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen.  The DIRT cars ran at NJMP which had to be hilarious as they are pretty ill suited for paved ovals let alone turning right as well.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
5/24/18 10:48 p.m.

I've seen Modifieds, er modified for road courses and they do pretty well. As one can imagine the top speeds are not that great but given they have the same drag coefficient of a parachute it's not a surprise. Always wanted to take a 60s modified vintage racing.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/25/18 6:55 p.m.

The reason I asked was an insane pipedream of taking an older, retired road couse chassis and putting it on the street.

Wally
5/27/18 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Most Modified chassis are built with quite a bit of offset built into the chassis and have longer suspension arms on the right side. Some new suspension parts will help center the car to turn both ways. If the plan is to make it a street car keep in mind there’s really no way to mount a passenger seat if that matters to you.

Wally
6/2/18 9:33 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

The body on this car is based on a cadillac seville 

Kenny welds batmobile was very controversial and resulted in many rules change. It’s supposed to be a lincoln town car.

It was out at Orange County Speedway tonight for nostalgia night.  I couldn’t go but ended up ordering another t shirt. https://www.onezeetees.com/store/p208/2018_Gary_Balough_%23112_Tshirt_-_Gray_-_Adult.html

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
6/3/18 11:38 a.m.

It was on display at the Saratoga Museum a few years ago.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
6/3/18 11:44 a.m.

Since all of the DIRT/ne modified had stick front axles a few teams decided to try independent front suspension.    It worked so well that it was shot down, citing cost to the small teams.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
7/13/18 3:43 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Not too worried about a passenger seat.  Many women have told me I was going to die alone. 

Wally
7/16/18 7:40 p.m.

Because the Aussies like to be different, a mid engined Pantera dirt mod.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
7/16/18 9:00 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

We have a pro 4 class locally but they only run on the paved tracks

I watch a fair amount of asphalt oval racing in the Deep South and have never seen modifieds like these. What engine do they use and where do they run these type cars. Seems as if  the Outlaw Stock class is gaining popularity along gulf coast. They have a modified look 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/16/18 9:57 p.m.

Those cars run in Ontario Canada. They're limited 4 cylinders. the bottom one is a VW 2.0 8V

There's a series in the northeast http://www.pro4mods.com/blog1/

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/16/18 10:09 p.m.

Looking through this I saw the Chevette stock car and it reminded me of my buddy Mike. I've posted a pic of his car before but have to do it again because it's so insane

This car was built in the early 80's from a retired auto parts delivery car that had over 500,000 km on it. He raced it for over 25 years actually winning a track championship one season without winning a single race. I saw him last weekend, he's racing a Mustang now.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
7/17/18 6:47 a.m.

I can only imagine how one gets the nickname "Pinball".

stroker
stroker UltraDork
7/17/18 7:25 a.m.
TRoglodyte said:

I can only imagine how one gets the nickname "Pinball".

Watch out for the guy nicknamed "Flipper"...

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/17/18 4:29 p.m.

He got pushed around on the track pretty good but always ran strong and finished in the top half of the pack. When I was running mini stock we got tangled up in a turn because of traffic and both rolled. It was not the first or last time that car was on it's roof.

He's a super nice guy, but that car just cracks me up

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/17/18 5:26 p.m.

Surprised no mentioned the "Super Mods" that run at Oswego Speedway.

Engines are mounted out side of the chassis to the left.

Sorry , I don't have any pictures.

418NV
418NV New Reader
7/17/18 5:28 p.m.

Super Modifieds are a whole different bag of crazy.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
7/18/18 9:46 p.m.
Wally said:

Because the Aussies like to be different, a mid engined Pantera dirt mod.

I found another pic of that car

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
7/18/18 9:49 p.m.

Tom sneva raced this super modified in the Pacific Northwest and Canada back in the day. It’s rear engine and 4 wheel drive

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/18/18 10:04 p.m.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/d/1947-chrysler-new-yorker/6626321836.html

it's pretty cool  cept for the word rat rod on the side.. ugh.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/18/18 11:27 p.m.
iceracer said:

Surprised no mentioned the "Super Mods" that run at Oswego Speedway.

Engines are mounted out side of the chassis to the left.

Sorry , I don't have any pictures.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
7/19/18 5:50 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

The "Raped headers" worry me more than a little. 

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ow1RtZs74ZXeYOE0nS2Z4mAVQUPWpuiUUd9A2ZmD59YuXP4usqyMr9uIkU03zgMN