earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
5/6/22 1:13 p.m.

Long story short - the stock tall LS1/LQ9 oil pressure sensor that threads into the rear top of the block interferes with the Magnuson supercharger intercooler intake manifold I'm trying to install. I thought about using an LS2 oil pressure sensor (they are much shorter), but it appears they use a different wiring plug (LS2- round, LS1-oval), and I think the contact pins are in a different pattern, as well.

My question is, are the internals of the sensors the same - resistance, etc. Is there an "adapter harness" (or can one be made) to allow the LS2 sensor to work with an LS1 vehicles harness?

Pics of the issue - look closely and you'll see there's no room to plug in the harness connector to the sensor, plus there's no way to get wrench or socket onto the base of the sensor to remove it if/when it goes bad:

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/22 2:08 p.m.

How about a 90* fitting and put the sensor sideways?

I just busted the plastic body off of the sending unit and tapped the hole that was under there so I could use normal adapters. I effectively turned the original sending unit into a free threaded adapter by tapping threads into it. Sorry about the dust all over everything in th picture. The engine has been sitting on a stand under a cover for a while now. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/22 3:31 p.m.

AFAIK the GM sending units are all standardized, electrically at least.

I did a Magnuson supercharger on an LS3 and I do not recall anything about changing the sender.  I do recall that it was genius to loosen the Corvette's subframe bolts 3/4", jam wedges in to force the subframe down, so there was enough clearance to the firewall to get your hand back there to work.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
5/6/22 3:53 p.m.

I think I found a work-around:

LS Oil Pressure Sensor Relocation Adapter w/ Dual 1/8"npt Outlets | 551541 - ICT Billet

Billet adapter bolts to the port on the oil pan above the filter, has both a m16-1.5 threaded port for a stock sensor, and two 1/8 NPT threaded ports for aftermarket gauges/sensors. Puts the oil pressure sensor in a location where it's a LOT easier to get to in the future, if needed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
juZ9HLI8SF3e4acxnuHImJI1IhXUY26UHg2ihC6G5siHvW8qxWegUjjFua8bcVAL