RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/17 11:35 a.m.

This may be one of the dumbest questions I've asked, but Google was just full of pictures and Pinterest links.

Is there a template or stencil available for the martini livery, or should I just study pictures, mask it off, and hope I don't screw up too bad?

I'm not looking to paint it on a car, so that may help or hinder efforts.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/10/17 11:41 a.m.

With all the creativity in your holster(builds), just pull the trigger and give it your best shot. Those that know will immediately recognize your efforts. Have fun and pics when you're done.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/17 11:43 a.m.

I think there were many different variations on the same theme.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/17 11:50 a.m.

There are a huge number of variations. It was changed to suit every vehicle, that's the important thing. Very rarely was it just a lazy stripe down the middle, it swoops or careens over the car to emphasize the shape.

I've got a book on Martini Racing's history, and there's a 6-page section on the livery design in there. I spent a LOT of time studying as many variations as I could.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/10/17 12:02 p.m.

Helpful picture.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
8/10/17 12:06 p.m.

I like some of the non-traditional martini liveries.

Kylini
Kylini Dork
8/10/17 12:10 p.m.

The "non-alcoholic" Williams cars are also kinda fun examples of blue-only Martini designs.

Keith Tanner
8/10/17 12:23 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: Helpful picture.

The spacing between the stripes changed over the years. I painted mine in blue first, then cyan, then orange.

Official colors, as per the shop that painted the Lancias:
VERNICE SIKKENS / MAX MAYER # TIPO # TINTE COLORI
ROSSO OPEL 512
BLU INNOCENTI 5208
CELESTE FORD 537

I used Opel Flame Red L512 (the Opel ID'd above), Mercedes DB5508 (cyan blue) and Volkswagen VAG.LA5B (marine blue).

More than you ever wanted to know about creating a Martini paint job.
http://targamiata.com/tags.php?tag=Martini

RevRico
8/10/17 12:24 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

You mention non traditional, this was the one that really got me thinking. This was the first time I've seen it on a green base, and it gave me hope for using a dark base instead of impossible white or red.

Emphasize the shape... I hope I can translate that to disguise blemishes.

I guess I'm lucky that there is so much variation. I generally default to the Lancia Delta or the Targa Miata when I think of Martini, so knowing I can get away with changes is good.

I really need to learn how to use Photoshop, I can see it looking acceptable in my head, but I can't draw it out.

Keith Tanner
8/10/17 12:30 p.m.

I started in Photoshop, but the only real way to get it right is masking tape on the car. Takes a lot of trial and error and walking around and scratching of chin.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/10/17 12:58 p.m.
RevRico wrote: I'm not looking to paint it on a car, so that may help or hinder efforts.

On ebay there is tons of "Martini" vinyl stripes available.
Example of $95 to do a whole car with either a center stripe or a rocker panel stripe.

Tons of other options too.

RevRico
8/10/17 6:23 p.m.

So without giving too much away, here's where we are tonight. Hopefully things will be done by Monday (HA).

I have to strip the old paint off, clean the surface, prime, and put on the black base coat. Then when that's set, mark everything off with tape and newspaper. Then "Old Ford Blue" goes on. When that is safe to tape, the "New Ford Blue" goes on, and finish it off with the "Red". Oh, did I mention these are rattle cans?

Hopefully I can transfer the picture I have in my head into real life, unfortunately art was never something I was good at.

Oh, Keith, thank you for that link. I've seen some videos of it in action, but I never really saw the back story and the work that went into it, I've been reading the site all day.

Keith Tanner
8/10/17 6:38 p.m.

Take your time to design it unless you have a specific deadline. It's a lot easier to move tape than paint. The real red is orange.

Glad you're enjoying it!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/17 7:31 a.m.

Wasn't there a 917 that was purple with green splash grsphics?

Keith Tanner
8/11/17 3:05 p.m.

The Hippie 917. IIRC it predates the introduction of the white/stripe livery.

There's also an alternate 914 version.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
8/15/17 2:08 p.m.

When I painted the horse on the side of our Challenge Mustang I worked off a sketch on a piece of paper. It told me things like where the head should start, and how high the mane should be at each point on the car. My point is that a sketch over a photo of the profile of the car can be used like a grid to transfer the design, even with a complete lack of artistic talent. (I remember something about his from a mechanical drawing class.) The finished horse head is my avatar.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/17 6:51 p.m.

the Lancia 037 had some interesting Martini livery as well.

Of course I think Martini (and gulf) are overdone. I would love to do a race car like the Lancia Beta Montecarlo Turbo Stradale

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/15/17 7:44 p.m.

This Delta is just perfect in every way.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NPyRrjcgAESNpKtIZWzzrNHnSCHsD9VXvtOV28MGetmenq3TcDJAyT9lNQaeoNhl