1 2 3
NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
4/3/10 1:52 p.m.

Wife was about to pull the trigger on a Mazda 3 this month. Someone sent her a link to the Mazda 2 and she really wants one based on looks. Her "commute" to work is all of one mile each way.

Any inside poop on this thing or when it will be available?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
4/3/10 3:01 p.m.

Coming Summer 2010 according to the web site

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/MAZDA2.action

2nd place for European Car of the Year in 2008 fwiw.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
4/3/10 3:18 p.m.

Too bad no chance of a Mazdaspeed2 with the 2.3L from the base 3.

captainzib
captainzib HalfDork
4/3/10 3:35 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these look like rebadged Fiestas, or Fiestas are rebadged Mazda2s. I like both.

K, maybe not a rebadge, but they look like sister cars either way.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
4/3/10 3:45 p.m.

I see some resemblance to this one too

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/10 5:45 p.m.

Damn. I thought this was going to be about RX-2's.

pres589
pres589 Reader
4/3/10 6:10 p.m.

She's in the car for about 15 minutes a day, total, so she's going to buy a new car to spend that time in?

Why not give me the money and have her car detailed a couple times a year so it smells and looks nice? I'm considering different commuter options as well and I'll take pictures of how I spend your cash!

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
4/3/10 6:49 p.m.
captainzib wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but these look like rebadged Fiestas, or Fiestas are rebadged Mazda2s. I like both. K, maybe not a rebadge, but they look like sister cars either way.

Same platform but I believe the ford has a 1.6L whereas the mazda is running a 1.5L. I'll take whichever one comes in three door hatch form.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
4/3/10 6:50 p.m.

The Mazda 2 and Fiesta are built on the same platform. Unfortunately, I have not been able to sit in either one yet. Of course, they assure me that I will have "more than enough" headroom, but they cannot tell me another car with the same amount. And I don't fit in a surprising number of small cars built these days, on the headroom factor alone. I DO prefer the look of the Mazda more than the Ford, as it is a more subdued design.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
4/3/10 7:33 p.m.

A short commute like that will kill a car quickly.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
4/3/10 8:52 p.m.

This woman bought me a new 800 sq ft heated and insulated garage to house the MG and a Bugeye and a bunch of metal shaping equipment.

If she wants a "Cute" car to get her to work and back, I won't be the one telling her otherwise unless the car is a POS. Hence my original question.

She will put 50k on it in 8 years and it then goes to the scrap heap. The protege she has now has been a perfect car for her. Maintenance requirements (other than oil and filters) have been zero and since that is what it gets, it works out fine!

Me, I am thinking the car has potential, and since I keep her car on sticky tires, I get to have some fun on occasion!

Pete

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
4/4/10 4:11 a.m.

The Fiesta and the Mazda2 use the same platform....but use different engines. In the UK mag, CAR, they prefer the Fiesta over the Mazda2 ONLY because Mazda does NOT offer any really hot versions. That said, the latest long-term tester to join the CAR fleet is a Fiesta with the 1.6 Zetec, which I believe is the same engine we will be getting. So far, the driver using the Fiesta is underwhelmed by it's performance. He's hoping it's because the engine is still a bit "tight".

As someone who oned an "original" Fiesta, and is sorely disappointed that they don't offer U.S. buyers a 3 door hatchback, I'd go for the 2 if it came as a 3 door.

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
4/4/10 5:42 a.m.

It's not likely that Mazda will sell anything with less than 4 drs.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/4/10 6:55 a.m.

1 mile? seriously?

Bicycle...walk....segway

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
4/4/10 8:46 a.m.

Winter. Shopping mall.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
4/4/10 8:46 a.m.

Winter. Shopping mall.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
4/4/10 9:19 a.m.
Nitroracer wrote:
captainzib wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but these look like rebadged Fiestas, or Fiestas are rebadged Mazda2s. I like both. K, maybe not a rebadge, but they look like sister cars either way.
Same platform but I believe the ford has a 1.6L whereas the mazda is running a 1.5L. I'll take whichever one comes in three door hatch form.

Which is neither in the U.S. We get a 5-door hatch in either, or a 4-door sedan that's Ford-only.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
4/4/10 9:24 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: 1 mile? seriously? Bicycle...walk....segway

That's what I was thinking, I'd love to only live a mile from work.

Unfortunately mine is 23 mile commute each way.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/10 9:57 a.m.

Nice car but the way the beltline goes sky-high near the back is a MAJOR turnoff. It looks ugly on the outside and it makes huge blind spots from the inside.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/10 3:46 p.m.

I kind of like that beltline at the back... but yes, if your wife is on the shorter side, she might have some difficulty seeing.

wait for the fiat 500?

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
4/4/10 6:26 p.m.

Thanks for the thoughts. Does not seem to be any real reason not to buy the beast. Wife loves the looks so opinions on that point are moot.

All the car has to do is run for eight years and 50k miles, with minimal maintenance, not puke a big component and she will be happy. To my wife, a timing belt change is "New car time".

Pete

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
4/4/10 8:30 p.m.
zomby woof wrote: It's not likely that Mazda will sell anything with less than 4 drs.

miata....

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/10 8:33 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
zomby woof wrote: It's not likely that Mazda will sell anything with less than 4 drs.
miata....

One on each side, one in the back, and the roof?

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
4/19/10 3:54 p.m.

Thought you guys might find this comparison interesting:

Photobucket

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
4/19/10 3:59 p.m.

That image doesn't look like it's quite right - just looking at the size of the door-handles, it seems like the Miata is at a slightly smaller scale than the 2.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SmcE3RZwRWVTLRFLEDee9Xq5c62Rpo4gcd1k92kGu8MEymJRkyFTXhTjkztyDiuG