1 2 3 4 5
JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
10/17/12 9:03 p.m.

I can't get it to line up perfectly in Photoshop when I overlay them, but it may be due to a slight perspective difference...However, I am open to the possibility that the 4 holes called out below will match up between them. What I am sure of though is that the starter is not in the same place. It is further away from the crank on the B2600 (if the same starter is used between them) so unless the B2600 flywheel magically bolts up to the FE crank, that spells trouble. I guess it's possible that the B2600 starter is specific to it, and its mounting pattern looks the same, but is spaced further away and its gear works with the FE flywheel, but that seems very unlikely.

So even if you do have 4 common holes...That's not enough for my tastes.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/17/12 10:13 p.m.

Eric adamantly insists that the b2600 bell on a TII trans is what the doctor called for. Then you use f2t clutch and flywheel. He says it all bolts up, but that you use a couple different holes up top, whatever that may mean in practice.

Sounds easy enough... But the starter is something that might pose an issue for sure.

Now to find a B2600 bell. If i can get it to bolt to my spare motor then it's worth pursuing.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
10/17/12 10:33 p.m.

OK, well I have an extra rib-case trans sitting around. I also have an extra F2T sitting around, and 2 FETs. I am missing one piece in order to try this.

Apparently (from wiki) 88-91 was the Mazda engined "G6" 2600.

I still say I would feel better if more than 4 bolts were holding the trans on.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
10/17/12 10:49 p.m.

This thread on MX6.com shows the G6 bell/trans bolted to an FE3 using the 4 bolts that I called out above. The guy also says that an FE3 has extra threaded holes in its block for the two top-most holes on the G6 that do not correspond with the FE bell-housing (very strange, it's like KIA anticipated using the G6 trans in the future). (Does an F2T also have these extra holes??? I can't check right now because I have a transmission on mine right now.)

http://www.mx6.com/forums/fe-dohc/234666-rwd-bell-housing-differences-slant-straight-new-project-pics-too.html

I also found this picture of a bongo van bell which looks like THE ONE you'd really want for an F2T application, if the FE3 is alone in having those extra holes for the G6.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
10/17/12 10:55 p.m.

Oh, and in the thread above, the G6 flywheel is being used and it is said to bolt up the the FE3 (which has a different number of bolts vs the FE/F2 (eight)). It is confirmed in the above thread that the G6 flywheel is bigger than the FE/F2 so what I was conjecturing about the starter location previously is correct.

So that seems to rule out this G6 trans on an F2T without a custom flywheel.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/18/12 8:59 a.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Oh, and in the thread above, the G6 flywheel is being used and it is said to bolt up the the FE3 (which has a different number of bolts vs the FE/F2 (eight)). It is confirmed in the above thread that the G6 flywheel is bigger than the FE/F2 so what I was conjecturing about the starter location previously is correct. So that seems to rule out this G6 trans on an F2T without a custom flywheel.

F2T flywheel is different than F2, though. When you swap an F2T into a B2200, you're forced to use B2200 F2 stuff if you use the full B2200 trans, due to size. F2T fly is bigger. N/a and turbo flywheels are not swappable between LX and GT MX6s.

The Bongo van bell is what Tino suggested, but i wonder how hard it is to find and get over here.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
10/18/12 9:38 a.m.

Oh gee, I had forgotten that.

Well I'm happy to have been wrong.

The F2T / F2 flywheel size difference also must mean that the Bongo bell housing is not a good solution because it would not work with an F2T flywheel/clutch, right?

I still am uncomfortable with only 4 bolts being in play with the F2T, unless it has those extra holes...BUT this pic from MX6.com seems to show those holes on an F2T!

I need to break the trans off my F2T I've got sitting here and check it out.

What about input shaft length, spline count, and pilot bearing internal diameter?

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/18/12 9:52 a.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Oh gee, I had forgotten that. Well I'm happy to have been wrong. The F2T / F2 flywheel size difference also must mean that the Bongo bell housing is not a good solution because it would not work with an F2T flywheel/clutch, right? I still am uncomfortable with only 4 bolts being in play with the F2T, unless it has those extra holes...BUT this pic from MX6.com seems to show those holes on an F2T! I need to break the trans off my F2T I've got sitting here and check it out. What about input shaft length, spline count, and pilot bearing internal diameter?

I'd bet the Bongo works because from what i'm reading, and from what you're saying, it's bigger...

Sorry, missed the part about the extra holes... the F2T does have them. You can get more than 4 bolts through with the G6 bell i would bet. (And Eric seems to think so as well.)

I'm not 100% sure on the length... but the rest is fine, we can use FC RX7 clutches on the MX6 GTs. (And FD RX7 clutches, for that matter.)

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
10/18/12 12:17 p.m.

Just a quibble...I'm pretty sure that Dan must be using an FC clutch, not an FD on his Mx-3. The FD has a pull-type clutch with a special throw-out bearing (and lever movement) that grabs a metal ring on the "teeth", pulling them instead of pushing...So I can't see how his car could possible be using an FD clutch.

The Bongo starter position seems to match the FE/F2, not the F2T/G6, from the pictures.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/18/12 12:21 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Just a quibble...I'm pretty sure that Dan must be using an FC clutch, not an FD on his Mx-3. The FD has a pull-type clutch with a special throw-out bearing (and lever movement) that grabs a metal ring on the "teeth", pulling them instead of pushing...So I can't see how his car could possible be using an FD clutch. The Bongo starter position seems to match the FE/F2, not the F2T/G6, from the pictures.

You're probably right... there seems to be people mentioning using FD clutches on PerformanceProbe as well, but i tend not to believe anything i read there.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
10/18/12 12:25 p.m.

Another thing I want to add:

I find it very interesting that Mazda added those holes on the F2 for the G6 style transmission. There doesn't seem to be much point to it unless they were leaving open the possibility of an F2T powered RWD something-or-other. Oh, what could have been!

I am also excited by the fact that it seems that one could bolt an F2T into an FD (keeping the PPF) using all Mazda parts (minus the motor mounts, but that's easy). If only you could get tall enough rear gears. Auto FDs have 3.9 but I think you need something in the 3.teens before it really starts to be right.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
10/18/12 12:29 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: You're probably right... there seems to be people mentioning using FD clutches on PerformanceProbe as well, but i tend not to believe anything i read there.

They are just trying to add a smidgen of awesomeness to their cars, in their minds, by imagining that an FD part might possibly fit on a Probe.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/18/12 12:31 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: You're probably right... there seems to be people mentioning using FD clutches on PerformanceProbe as well, but i tend not to believe anything i read there.
They are just trying to add a smidgen of awesomeness to their cars, in their minds, by imagining that an FD part might possibly fit on a Probe.

You wouldn't believe the E36 M3storm going on in one of the threads right now where i just mentioned that there were some pretty easy things to try that might result in MASSIVE gains in power up top on these motors...

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/12 12:45 p.m.

Don't you love the nay sayers!

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/18/12 12:52 p.m.

Oh yeah, i'm being told i'm wrong by a bunch of dudes running stock turbos with an intake and a Probinator chip.

"Why can't you just love the F2T for what it is?"

It's a damn MOTOR not my ginger little brother.

Spinout007
10/18/12 1:41 p.m.

Dude, we gotta chill with this thread....It's taking up to much of my time looking for donors. Not getting any work done! LOL

Spinout007
10/18/12 3:33 p.m.

LOL was poking around the web and saw that Kia has released a sportage with a turbocharger on it. Looks like they finally got smart and followed what people were doing with that motor.

It even follows the FE tradition of more torque than power. though in this case it's sitting at 260/269. Can't wait till someone turns the boost up on that thing and scares some poor sod in his pony car.

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/29/12 9:29 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote: Dude, we gotta chill with this thread....It's taking up to much of my time looking for donors. Not getting any work done! LOL

Did somebody say "donor?"

Oh, and i finished the deal for the poor Miata that's going to be subjected to this yesterday.

And i've already got the deal going for the donor MX6.

I'm giving some serious thought into just using that truck motor, though... i bet it's no weaker.

Meet the Miata:

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon HalfDork
10/29/12 10:54 a.m.

Is that yours?

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/29/12 11:02 a.m.

It is as of yesterday. It's just a rolling chassis at the moment, no drivetrain. Was a 1.6 turbo car.

No hardtop, has a new Robbins top i need to finish installing. (Or remove completely because i don't like convertibles.) Body is straight and clean, and the paint is recent. (99-00 Civic Si Electron Blue)

Wheels didn't come with it, no big deal. Flares are on it, and Carbon fiber duckbill trunk.

I'm going to do terrible things to it. Will probably eventually get Autokonexion overfenders/widebody, and i highly doubt i'll ever bother painting it.

I got it for: An MX6 GT radiator and a slim fan.

The only goal here is to make a sledgehammer Miata that makes me pee myself, and it's gotta look a bit ridiculous as well. Hoonigan!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/29/12 11:04 a.m.

I approve of this.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon HalfDork
10/29/12 11:44 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Damn son! That ain't too bad! Just put the Robbins top on it. You've already got it and they're easy to install.

Put that truck motor in it

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/29/12 11:46 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: Damn son! That ain't too bad! Just put the Robbins top on it. You've already got it and they're easy to install. Put that truck motor in it

I'm gonna need to figure out how to get some 245s or bigger under this thing...

It doesn't have headlight motors either... so i'll have to put those in... but i'm planning on getting this kit: http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/479902_465394736833836_586157944_n.jpg

So maybe i'll just put those in and then weld the lights into place.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/29/12 11:50 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Spoolpigeon wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: Damn son! That ain't too bad! Just put the Robbins top on it. You've already got it and they're easy to install. Put that truck motor in it

It's already got flares.......

92CelicaHalfTrac
10/29/12 11:59 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
It's already got flares.......

It's got the "small" Autokonexion flares, though. That said, i could just rivet on the "large" style flares using the same holes.

Was speaking more from a diameter issue, though. While i'll have the torque available that fitting much larger diameter tires from stock is not a big deal... i also don't want it to look stupid.

And really... i doubt those particular flares will be staying long.

This is more like what i have in mind: http://thenaritadogfight.com/2012/10/16/feature-autokonexion-miata-we-heard-you-liked-carbon/

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
74HzeLAozDunTxVHm78avhsWGnkWCXsAYDMKRmpoK3qevjKmULoiJJXnlIZreoJ1