Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/10 1:38 p.m.

I ordered all the parts to fix this, but it couldn't make it one more week...

The crank pulley fell apart and took out the woodruff key and crank bolt with it. Crank snout looks OK (happened on initial start-up, shut down immediately).

So guess who didn't make it to work today...

Suck.

jeffp
jeffp New Reader
10/11/10 10:58 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Good god man. I'm so sorry...It's been a tough year for you and your Miata...sheesh...Hang in there man.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/11/10 10:59 p.m.

I think it's the rotary gods punishing you for selling your FB. Is the engine salvageable at this point?

Javelin
10/11/10 11:49 p.m.

Engine should be okay. The woodruff key bent 90 degrees!

It's been such a bad year for that poor car that the wife declared she hated it today. She hasn't even said that about the Javelin yet...

Kompff09
Kompff09 New Reader
10/12/10 12:31 a.m.
The woodruff key bent 90 degrees!

Happened to my friend once.

Javelin
10/12/10 8:31 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: I think it's the rotary gods punishing you for selling your FB.

Unpossible. The FB got made into the track rat it always wanted to be and actually won a race with it's original bazillion-mile 12A at PIR. It's raced ORP too, which is an awesome new track.

jeffp
jeffp New Reader
10/12/10 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

The pulley "fell apart"? Huh? Is the pulley bolt still in the crankshaft?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/12/10 3:52 p.m.
Kompff09 wrote:
The woodruff key bent 90 degrees!
Happened to my friend once.

Wrong hole?

Javelin
10/12/10 9:30 p.m.

I'll have to post pics, this is a bizarre one. I have no idea of the sequence of events, but this is the damage:

• Woodruff key is bent 90 degrees and rotated
  • Balancer is smashed up where the crank bolt shoulder goes
  • One of the bolt heads on the 4 bolts that holds the pulley to the balancer has snapped off
  • The top threads of the crank bolt (by the shoulder) are stripped

It happened on start-up, imagine if it had happened at 5,000RPM!!!

jeffp
jeffp New Reader
10/13/10 12:37 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

...great. And I have a track day on Friday with my short nose 1.6..

I'm sure you've seen it, but Miata.net has extensive photos, words, advice, prevention...just about everything to do with the front pulley/balancer and keyway.

Javelin
10/13/10 8:14 a.m.

I have seen it. I didn't think about any of it because as a 93, my Miata is a long nose!

UPS man says the parts will be here Friday. Keep your fingers crossed that it works...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
10/13/10 8:53 a.m.

My 95 (with 96 motor) had a broken key when I took it apart for TB service. Getting the cogged pulley off the crank was tons of fun as I had to cut into the pulley to be able to fit a puller on it.

Used a bit of loktite quick metal to tighten up the keyway, replaced all the parts that touch the crank, and loktite'd the pulley bolt.

Seems fine for the 1000 miles I have driven it since.

jeffp
jeffp New Reader
10/13/10 8:03 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I have seen it. I didn't think about any of it because as a 93, my Miata is a long nose! UPS man says the parts will be here Friday. Keep your fingers crossed that it works...

Just in time for test it at the Porsche AX at PIR! Excellent!

Javelin
10/13/10 8:24 p.m.

I'm registered for the PCA AX, but not in the Miata

I'm gonna beat you once this year dammit!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/13/10 8:24 p.m.

I've seen NBs with this problem. Its not just a short-nose thing anymore. My thinking is they were just the first ones that racked up the miles and TB changes to cause it.

jeffp
jeffp New Reader
10/13/10 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Awesome! Hmm...I can't wait to see what you'll be piloting!

Javelin
10/13/10 10:50 p.m.

You've seen it before, and it's not mine. Let's just say I'll be going for top-5 overall...

jeffp
jeffp New Reader
10/18/10 9:35 a.m.
Javelin wrote: You've seen it before, and it's not mine. Let's just say I'll be going for top-5 overall...

You beat me fair and square! Great day, fun (pucker factor) course. Nice way to end the season. Now what to do to the car for next year....hmmm....

Javelin
10/18/10 7:57 p.m.
jeffp wrote:
Javelin wrote: You've seen it before, and it's not mine. Let's just say I'll be going for top-5 overall...
You beat me fair and square! Great day, fun (pucker factor) course. Nice way to end the season. Now what to do to the car for next year....hmmm....

Fair and square? Ha! I had to cheat and borrow a trailered turbo race car on slicks and even then I barely beat you! You were seriously quick out there in that first, cold session and soundly whooped me all season long. Hopefully the Javelin will have something more for you

I did hear a rumor that you and Morgan had accidentally switched numbers, and it was really him that was fastest!?!?!? If that's true you gotta ground that boy...

jeffp
jeffp New Reader
10/18/10 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

For the third or so run he DID beat me with MY numbers on one side of the car. By the end we had it sorted out. Again...next season might be another story.

I can't wait for the Javelin. Hmm...hand painted sponsors like the old days. Sunoco stickers. STP....hmm..

Javelin
10/19/10 8:26 a.m.

You should come up for the "Great Start Day" when we try and make the 360 run for the first time in 27 years!

I still say you make Morgan run on snow tires or something before he creams all of us!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IATTj6HMDy93YhlGpegDtelCCobFo4OJGIK9oADwp5keWGt3TeT6wbNaMVNv8RL3