secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/27/15 12:02 a.m.

Anybody else wish FFR would make a mid-year ('63-'67 or C2) corvette coupe replica? I have been lusting after a mid-year for the past 30+ years and will never own a real one. Based on FFR's other products they could improve the performance and offer engine choices that include SBC, BBC, or LSx for a reasonable price.

Sorry, but I was watching/listening to Cobra videos earlier and it got me thinking...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/27/15 8:29 a.m.

interesting, but by the time you're done it's still gonna cost you 30 grand.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
3/27/15 8:34 a.m.

Aren't there already a few kits on the market for C2 Grand Sport replicas based on C3 or C4 chassis?

I know that's not exactly what the OP is asking for, but its on the infield of the same ballpark, especially if its C4 based.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
3/27/15 8:43 a.m.

There are several places building reproduction bodies, and you can get a modern chassis that will accept an LS engine - it just takes money.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
3/27/15 8:52 a.m.

I went to the auction in Auburn last year and saw more than one C2 Vette cross the block for under $45K. They were driver quality, not trailer queens.Any of the kits will cost close to that I would think.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/27/15 9:02 a.m.

I bet a Corvette replica would be a whole lot more expensive to finish properly than a Cobra. A Cobra is a very simple car. Virtually no interior panels, no or very basic top, minimal exterior ornamentation, flat panel for a dash, no side window glass or winders, basic seats etc etc. Just go and add up the cost of parts to re-finish a C2 interior and I'll bet you could spend $10K just on that.

I'll bet it's cheaper to do a full restoration an a $5K C2 than to build a replica. they aren't exactly rare to begin with.

There's a big differnce between a Cobra that they made in the hundreds Vs nearly 120k C2 Vettes.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/15 9:09 a.m.

I'd imagine that GM would have some kind of copyright issues with a replica.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/27/15 10:54 a.m.

My dad's friend just dropped $7k on just a new production frame for his '64 vert since someone bondo'd a rust through spot.....

And I always thought MidYear applied to 64-66 C2's.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/27/15 1:14 p.m.

C2 vette is the only one I'd own... a repo would be cool for then you could slip a few different engines into it... besides all the regular V8 versions, some of the more modern inlines 6s, with or without boost, might be an interesting swap.....

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/15 1:54 p.m.

Here's my next door neighbor and his son in the '65 that he's owned and autocrossed since 1968. I think this car is perfect just as it is.

photo Corvette001_zps52ffb62d.jpg

photo Corvette002_zpsbe0d3340.jpg

photo Corvette003_zps84975ca9.jpg

secretariata
3/27/15 3:47 p.m.

I really like the look, but figure in the 50+ years since they were originally designed there have been a lot of improvements in chassis design that it would be nice to take advantage of. A half decent running driver would probably cost $40k or more. If we could build one with a stiffer chassis, better handling, better brakes, better engine & trans, etc. for that much it would probably be a much more enjoyable ownership experience.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
3/27/15 3:51 p.m.

I've only ever driven two Vettes,a 2008 convertible and my boss's 1967 coupe. I'll take the old school coupe.

secretariata
3/27/15 3:53 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: interesting, but by the time you're done it's still gonna cost you 30 grand.

How many people finish a Factory Five car for under $30k? I bet there aren't many. A 'vette kit would probably put those builds closer to $40k than $30k, but there could be a lot of improvements in the design and result when compared to a 50 year old used classic. Especially considering $40k won't get a very nice C2 these days.

secretariata
3/27/15 3:57 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I'd like to take that body (and sidepipes), put it on a modern chassis with a nice fuel injected modern V-8, decent brakes, and terrorize the community on a daily basis...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
3/27/15 4:06 p.m.
secretariata wrote: Anybody else wish FFR would make a mid-year ('63-'67 or C2) corvette coupe replica? I have been lusting after a mid-year for the past 30+ years and will never own a real one. Based on FFR's other products they could improve the performance and offer engine choices that include SBC, BBC, or LSx for a reasonable price. Sorry, but I was watching/listening to Cobra videos earlier and it got me thinking...

C1 They definitely make kits, the interior is more like a cobra and the top / sides are not the end of the world to fabricate which is what kill most builds.

I think something like a C1 on a Exocet chassis could be built under 25K if you were resourceful.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/27/15 4:33 p.m.

These guys have a pretty good thing going, I toured their shop last fall. They have the original GTP molds and the licence from GM to produce them!

http://mongoosemotorsports.com

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/27/15 6:20 p.m.

Don't those things produce lift at speed?? Darn pretty, though. A buddy's dad has a silver 67 (almost positive) 427 auto. 1 owner car. Magnificent.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
3/27/15 9:27 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy:

Not so sure about lift for the car itself, but I had a '64 convertible with a built 327,decent (for it's time) suspension mods etc. For me top speed of the car was limited to indicated 148 mph, at that speed the front bow of the top started to lift from the top of the windshield & I decided it was time to ease off the gas.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
3/27/15 10:15 p.m.

There is the Paul Newman chassis option, his company has been around for a while. Body-wise, you are on your own. I would like one of his chassis for a Nomad.

www.newmancarcreations.com/products/

outasite
outasite New Reader
3/27/15 11:12 p.m.

Wife had a 65 327 roadster, I had a 66 327 roadster later, brother in law had 53 w/Blueflame 6/auto, 63 split window and a 64 365 hp 327 during the late 60s. Bodies aged quickly, stock exhaust problematic, not the best handling. However, I really liked the look and was very disappointed with 68 and up. Look for a good driver and enjoy. Worked in Chevy dealership in mid 70s (Pace car/anniversary), was less than impressed.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/28/15 1:03 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Aren't there already a few kits on the market for C2 Grand Sport replicas based on C3 or C4 chassis? I know that's not exactly what the OP is asking for, but its on the infield of the same ballpark, especially if its C4 based.

There's one local to me that looks like this

...but in red.

I definitely remember reading about a Gran Sport replica kit back in the 80's/early 90's.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/28/15 5:25 a.m.

Now I want a Grand Sport racecar. Thanks. Spec Grand Sport

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4a18UplsvvK96AMUqlmk8PmfzH8xXQGDo6qrU7ickuYhPWuLrI9nYokYd5h0NQUz