bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
9/9/23 10:42 a.m.

Running errands yesterday and a large swarm of pre-war motorcycles thundered... okay puttered and in a few cases sputtered past me.  Obviously a rally of some sort, I caught a glimpse of the event placard and <HOLY POOP> this is a cross-country event on antique bikes.  Sadly they had already left town by the time I was able to figure out who they were.

https://motorcyclecannonball.com/

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
9/10/23 11:35 a.m.

I think I watched a video documentary of a prior Cannonball a couple of years ago, and it looks like it's now on YT...  All bikes are pre-1918, IIRC!

I used to think of myself as being pretty hard core riding a modern bike 800-1000 miles per day when riding cross country, but these guys are at a whole 'nother level.  yes

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/10/23 11:54 a.m.

Been wanting to participate in this for a long time now.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/10/23 12:11 p.m.

One of our local guys Conner who owns wigwam motors is doing it on a 1930s Indian. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/11/23 8:24 a.m.

The late, great Dale Walksler was a regular competitor in this. If you are ever in western NC, you MUST visit the museum. https://wheelsthroughtime.com/  The racers stopped there yesterday as part of the route.

I was watching a YouTube video about a swap meet and a guy was talking about a 1950s Italian something-or-other he had considered buying to do a similar rally in Italy. But, he decided against it. "I did the Cannonball a couple years ago. That turned out to be not fun, so I don't think I'll do this, either."  That is one tough ride to do.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 SuperDork
9/11/23 9:14 a.m.

My butt doesn't have enough iron in it to do this event.  But it would be fun trying, for a while.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/11/23 9:30 a.m.

So, when I was 14 I got a moped and was unleashed on the roads legally. I kind of miss touring back roads on it. Wouldn't go faster than about 35mph, but I did over 100miles some days. Mom didn't realize how far I was going until I was talking about this hobby shop I found that was over 40 miles away. 

Still have the moped, put a pipe on it, so it's a bit faster, but my old kid having behind is too afraid of the drivers where I live to go out on the roads with it. 

To say it short, there's something about speed limited touring of back roads...  would be a bunch of fun

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 SuperDork
9/11/23 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Pete Egan wrote an article about touring on a 50cc Honda mini-bike.  It's pretty hilarious.

I think my next project is going to be fixing up my dad's 1968 Triumph T100C.  With it's gearing, 55 mph is about top speed.

Oh the places i saw on a Honda 90 in the late 60's.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/23 2:36 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Awesome museum for sure. We stopped there on the way home from my sister's wedding a couple years ago. 

Couple of sweet bike engined cars, so you know I had to capture those:

But possibly my favorite was the knob on this "handlebar GPS". I think this was on one of the cannonball bikes.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/12/23 7:48 a.m.

That's called a "roll chart". Rally community has used those since forever. 

spedracer
spedracer New Reader
9/12/23 12:08 p.m.

I'm usually spent from an four or two on track or a few hours of mountain roads, on a modern bike. These guys must be straight up masochists! Super hardcore. Probably have to do a ton of long distance riding beforehand just to get your body used to it.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
9/12/23 3:31 p.m.

I agree with spedracer, that would be tough on a modern bike, well except maybe a Goldwing type bike.  Might as well do the Iron Butt challenges as well.  Iron Butt Association

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2ZwbLevoguwxe5wMo0WYXOZoVY0xpoHwXZiJ6MqMCO6LITsl0YsXzZFt8fLtutGq