Wes1970
Wes1970
11/28/11 10:17 a.m.

Perhaps a dumb or obvious question, but is a motorcycle helmet acceptable for use in a car?

tpwalsh
tpwalsh New Reader
11/28/11 10:19 a.m.

That's a pretty ambiguous question. Are you referring to legality or effectiveness?

I think a motorcycle helmet is going to be 1000x better than nothing at all under competitive circumstances. I'm planning on buying one for SCCA autocross, but I also run a kart as well as a car.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/11 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Wes1970:

Depends on application. I believe it's acceptable (with an appropriately modern rating) for autocross (this is up to the sanctioning body), but would not be acceptable for track duty.

Fire retardant materials and being made to be bounced off of roll cages rather than pavement (tubes rather than flat surfaces) I think are the primary differences, but I'm very much not an expert.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/28/11 10:24 a.m.

I've heard from a few people that car helmets are designed for multiple impacts in an incident (i.e. bouncing off the roll cage) where motorcycle helmets are designed for a single impact (smacking on the pavement).

I've also heard that's totally bunk, and the only difference is that auto helmets are fire resistant and motorcycle helmets aren't.

I'm much more inclined to believe the latter.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
11/28/11 10:28 a.m.

Snell M (motorcycle) helmets are Ok for SCCA Solo2 events, but not for track events--those require a Snell SA (Special Application) rating.

YMMV with other sanctioning bodies.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
11/28/11 11:43 a.m.

Non-Snell Motorcycle helmets (DOT approved only) are usually not allowed for most autocross venues.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/28/11 11:52 a.m.

Check with your sanctioning body.

The most substantive difference between M and SA helmets is the flame retardant lining. The rule of thumb I have seen is that SA helmets are usually not required until all the other flame-retardant clothing is required (e.g. wheel-to-wheel racing). For auto-x, HPDE, and even NASA time-trials around here, a Snell rated motorcycle helmet from the past 10 years is acceptable.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/11 11:56 a.m.

Here's the difference according to Snell themselves.

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.
mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/28/11 12:28 p.m.

Our local sanctioning body requires M or greater. I have an M, because I can't fit my head into an SA.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/28/11 12:34 p.m.

If you're not going wheel to wheel at high speed, the SA rating might make you LESS safe than an M class helmet.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
11/28/11 12:44 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Our local sanctioning body requires M or greater. I have an M, because I can't fit my head into an SA.

I'm going to suggest you just need to find a supplier with a better variety of helmets to inspect. Also, if you have a gargantuan melon like I do, you may have to pay real money for a brand name. Many cheaper helmets are all built in the same size shell, with thinner padding as the size goes up. It became a problem for some to meet the SA2010 spec, since there was not enough padding. My new Bell BR1 is very nice, and fits well.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
11/28/11 12:49 p.m.

One question to bear in mind when you're helmet shopping:

What's your head worth?

Do you want to have to re-learn how to tie your shoes? And feed yourself?

David

thunderzy
thunderzy New Reader
11/28/11 6:15 p.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: One question to bear in mind when you're helmet shopping: What's your head worth? Do you want to have to re-learn how to tie your shoes? And feed yourself? David

AMEN TO THAT!!

I did alot of research on helmet standards when I was purchasing a helmet for sportbike track days. I landed on the Arai Quantum for several reasons. First and foremost bc it was a perfect fit for my head. Experts will tell you if the helmet is not touching your head on all sides its almost guaranteed to fail. Second was the consumer, jd power assoc, and fellow rider rating they received as a company.

The helmet is really the last piece of equipment you want to skimp on. My advice is always to spend as much as you possibly can. You really get what you pay for in helmets. Also purchase the helmet or helmets that best suit the event, be it autocross, track, or rally. I'm a firm believer in separate equipment for different events.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
11/28/11 6:35 p.m.

This past weekend, I became a believer in separate equipment for different events. I got an awesome deal at a local motorcycle shop for a modular (flip-face) helmet. It fits perfectly. I can put it on and take it off without removing my glasses. My ham radio headset fits inside perfectly, much better than my old helmet. It even has a fighter pilot style sunshade that slides down, eliminating the need for changing face shields or glasses. It is NOT, however, Snell approved, nor are any modular helmets at this point. Since 99% of my helmet use is on the bike these days, I bought it anyway, and will continue to use my old Snell approved full face helmet for autocross. Eventually, when it wears out, I'll pick up a Snell approved open face helmet for autocross.

Back to the original question, check the requirements of the organization running the event(s) you intend to participate in, and get a helmet to match them. Some organizations allow M helmets for HPDE track events. Some don't. Either way, it sucks to buy a helmet, then find out at your first event that you bought the wrong one. Been there, done that, and it was totally my fault for not following this advice.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/28/11 6:43 p.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: This past weekend, I became a believer in separate equipment for different events.

+1

I already had an open faced snell M that I was using for autocross. I just bought a full face SA helmet from a GRMer (thanks, Marc) because I have aspirational dreams about eventually being able to afford to run in a crap can race. I will continue using the M helmet for autocross for as long as I am able.

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

(Yes, I know I already posted that link above....If you're not familiar with it and you participate in motorsports, you need to become familiar with it.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0c9Mkix1GCdcd97diA2yVOWuuFMDpqNg3TPKHE5ARkNIJbwQYw0MJOi7Ytb789cM