1 2 3 4
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/13 4:04 p.m.

My luggage is usually a gym bag.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/4/13 7:17 a.m.

So have you made a decision??? Huh??? Huh????

Woody
10/4/13 8:08 a.m.

I think that the decision has been made. I'm wrapping up a few loose ends first (new patio, sidewalk, small deck, etc), but that should be just about done today or tomorrow.

Woody
10/4/13 8:14 a.m.

Unfortunately, I'm also sick as a dog. My primary form of nourishment for the past week has been Benedryl, so my ability to make decisions could be questionable. It's the kind of weekend where I could find myself accidentally buying a Maserati BiTurbo or something.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/4/13 8:23 a.m.
Woody wrote: Unfortunately, I'm also sick as a dog. My primary form of nourishment for the past week has been Benedryl, so my ability to make decisions could be questionable. It's the kind of weekend where I could find myself accidentally buying a Maserati BiTurbo or something.

Well that would be tragic. Find someone to take car of you so you don't go off the deep end and buy that BiTurbo.
Seriously, I hope you feel better. Make sure to update us when the decision has been made.

Woody
10/17/19 7:13 p.m.

UPDATE:

I am very selfishly bumping my own, six year old thread. This is also the only thread that I have gone back into and repaired the damage from the whole Photobucket fiasco from a few years ago, again for my own purposes. Also, berkeley Photobucket.

Anyway, back in 2013, MaxJax turned out to be the right answer for my needs. I bought one, installed it, used it and loved it.

But now, it's a bunch of years later and I'm old. I find myself doing less work on cars, and I have a greater desire to store more cars in my alotted space. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a four post lift. Rather than do all the work of thinking and measureing and planning, I am diving back into this thread, primarily because I have grown lazy. Sue me.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/19 7:26 p.m.

My four post lift is still going since I put it in in 2012.   Had to take it down once to replace the slider blocks and also did new cables while it was down.

Main wish at this point is that I had got one that ran on 220 for a bit easier start up, though that's much improved after I found the plug on the electrical drop running hot under load from the car charger and then replaced it. 

Woody
10/17/19 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Great photo! What brand and model of lift is that?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/19 7:41 p.m.

An Atlas, bought through Greg Smith Equipment, along with bridge jacks. 

I can say that they were quite helpful when it came time to buy parts, though when I did, I found out the actual importer/manufacturer was an outfit called Tuxedo. 

Woody
10/17/19 7:49 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Thank you. I actually sent Greg Smith Equipment an email a few days ago, but they didn't respond.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/17/19 7:55 p.m.

I still like the Aresco 4 post lift I got many years ago.  120V, so it's not the fastest thing in the world- but for my usage, it's just fine.  Most of the time I've had it, it was used for storage above and below.  When I finally got rid of the GTV racer a few years ago, it's now the lift for me to work on my old Miata that is being restored.

Somehow, I got a great deal, as it came with two air powered jacks in the middle.  And, by luck, it's the narrow version- again perfect for the cars that actually go on it.

Woody
10/17/19 8:50 p.m.

My current mental tug o' war is between the HD-9  and the HD-7W

I don't need the extra 2000 pound capacity of the HD-9, but I'm trying to find the best fit for the allotted space. I'd prefer not to exceed 200 inches in length. I need to determine if I need the 100 inch height or if 88 inches would be high enough. The 9 is actually $200 cheaper than the 7W, but that's not a huge factor at this point.

Woody
10/17/19 8:52 p.m.

Once again, I'm realizing that it is much easier to choose a two point option than it is to choose a four point option, at least given the size and shape of my available space.

Woody
10/17/19 9:30 p.m.

Gah!! I just realized that back when I started this thread, I had easy access to 220v in that garage bay. Somewhere down the line, that was converted to the input for my generator, and it’s not an easily reversible thing, at least not one that would enable me to use both as needed. I may have to explore some 110 options. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/17/19 11:17 p.m.

Nothing wrong with 120vac power for a lift.  The one in my garage works just fine.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/18/19 12:09 a.m.

I have an HD9-ST, very pleased with it.  It's available with a 110v motor, but it's much slower than the 220v one.  

Woody
11/8/19 8:24 p.m.

The order has been placed. An HD-9 is heading my way.laugh

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/8/19 8:28 p.m.

And the MaxJack has been sold???????????? 

Woody
11/8/19 8:29 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Indeed it has, though the order was actually placed before that happened.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
11/8/19 8:46 p.m.
Karacticus said:

Lift? What lift?

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/8/19 8:46 p.m.

Dang missed it by that................much

Woody
11/26/19 7:14 p.m.

And lo, by the eve of Thanksgiving, the Carriage House shall be substantially Liftier...

cdowd
cdowd Dork
11/26/19 10:52 p.m.

Awesome!  I remember you being one of the first to respond when my lift can up short notice.  A 2 post lift  for 1k rotary 7k lbs.  I had about an hour to make a decision.  It has been one of the best I ever made.

Woody
11/27/19 8:04 a.m.

Woody
11/27/19 9:10 a.m.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q5mTcTv0cg2m8ai14b9WHKX2NrLoa1ql1GhKMuczTiHSHZXqC1qlYNezujVMvGA3