1 2 3 4
WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
4/27/11 11:55 a.m.

Since i see lots of multi generation and multi-displacement ownership among grmers, which NA miata engine does GRM prefer for overall ownership and why, assuming it is to be kept naturally aspirated with only mild mods?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/11 11:58 a.m.

1.8, period, end of thread. The 1.6 sucks, they are all older, the CAS will fail, and they all have crank snout issues. Also, you can't get the Torsen or bigger brakes. And there's no tuners availble for the 1.6. Also, they suck.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/11 12:01 p.m.

You should check miata.net. There's a wealth of information there!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/27/11 12:05 p.m.

1.8 FTW!!!!!

Also: @ dyintorace

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork

In reply to dyintorace:

Well, it may degrade from a NA1 vs. NA2 to NA vs. NB vs. NC....

Thankfully, the miata.net separates each of the versions. Including the not yet born ND.

As for the CAS- Joey- did you find a virtually perfect Miata with a broken one of those that you got for a song? Sometimes, you can work faults into features!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork

I'm sure djhives has his OWN opinion about that and isn't afraid to use it.

All my Miatas have been 1.6s, haven't had many problems with any of the engines. Only real problem I've had with one was the one that the PO caused by unqualified bolting on of a cheapo turbo kit.

I'm sure he'd done a better job if he checked on http://miata.net/ first.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/11 12:09 p.m.

I've got a 1.6. I don't think they suck but the 1.8 is a better starting point imo.

The 1.6 does rev a bit faster but the 1.8 will put down better numbers.

monark192
monark192 Reader
4/27/11 12:09 p.m.

I have a 91 1.6 - it was cheap and has been dead nuts reliable. 135,000 miles

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/27/11 12:11 p.m.

I like the idea of a worked n/a 1.6 with the lightest clutch/flywheel package i could possibly find with ITBs and a short gearset.

Beyond that. Meh.

Raze
Raze Dork
4/27/11 12:15 p.m.

You guys are too much, stop making me laugh at work...

Joshua
Joshua Reader
4/27/11 12:19 p.m.

I have a 1.6 and love it.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
4/27/11 12:20 p.m.

i'm familiar with most of the differences between the NA1 and NA2 cars (at least the drivetrain/chassis stuff), and of course the larger engine is usually the better choice for making more power, but i have only driven n/a 1.8Ls and a turbo 1.6L, so without any apples to apples experience, i was wondering about other's opinions, and maybe why they have own/race a 1.6 vs 1.8 (of course that'll likely mean it was the cheapest one they found on this board)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/11 12:20 p.m.

Well according to miata.net there's virtually no price difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 car, so you might as well get the bigger, better engine (and brakes, and differential, and clutch, and interior, and wheels).

Also, I have driven both a lot and I've never found a 1.6 to "rev quicker" than a 1.8. I think that was a myth started by 1.6 owners jealous of the 1.8's superiority. Though it might rev quicker after the crank snout breaks off and there's no longer any accessories or balancer to spin...

failboat
failboat Reader
4/27/11 12:27 p.m.

Just get a 94-95 (pre obdII) with a torsen and be done with it. I had a 1.6 for years, then borrowed my friends 94 for a day. The extra torque is real nice to have. I do feel that at 4k+ rpm the 1.6 revs faster though.

I was pulling 31mpg every day commuting with my 1.6. I hear most people say the 1.8 isnt quite that good on gas.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
4/27/11 12:34 p.m.

I have a 1.6 and i'm basically swapping everything over to the 1.8 parts as they break or wear out.

I should have just started with a 1.8 car.

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
4/27/11 12:45 p.m.

1.6 car was historic tag legal - no inspection ever, cheaper tag, practically free insurance.

128k 1.6 motor w/ new gaskets + seals + plug wires + header/exh/intake motivates the car just fine.

I can drive my weedy little 1.6 WFO about all the time which is fun. My crazily built '98 M3 is miserable on the street - you never even scratch the surface.

When the 1.6 pops I'll buy a '99 1.8 and put a cold side supercharger on and try a totally different Miata experience, but now a momentum car is a nice diversion.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/27/11 12:48 p.m.

I've owned a 1.8 NA and a NB. The cars were pretty similar in character, but my NB has been the easier car to own because the bits are all newer and there isn't any undercarriage rust. I'm also partial to the interior and exterior styling of the NB, but that's completely subjective.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
4/27/11 12:49 p.m.
failboat wrote: Just get a 94-95 (pre obdII) with a torsen and be done with it. I had a 1.6 for years, then borrowed my friends 94 for a day. The extra torque is real nice to have. I do feel that at 4k+ rpm the 1.6 revs faster though. I was pulling 31mpg every day commuting with my 1.6. I hear most people say the 1.8 isnt quite that good on gas.

I love OBD-II, why would you avoid it?

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/27/11 12:49 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to dyintorace: Well, it may degrade from a NA1 vs. NA2 to NA vs. NB vs. NC.... Thankfully, the miata.net separates each of the versions. Including the not yet born ND. As for the CAS- Joey- did you find a virtually perfect Miata with a broken one of those that you got for a song? Sometimes, you can work faults into features!

Wowza... Can't believe you remember, but yeah, we bought a nice 1991 with high mileage and a bad cas.

Worked great till it got in an accident...

Joey

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
4/27/11 12:50 p.m.
nderwater wrote: I've owned a 1.8 NA and a NB. The cars were pretty similar in character, but my NB has been the easier car to own because the bits are all newer and there isn't any undercarriage rust. I'm also partial to the interior and exterior styling of the NB, but that's completely subjective.

Yes, but if you consider the NC, and even the ND when deciding between a 1.6 or 1.8l NA.....

(OTOH, I agree. Which is why I got the '99 so fast. Well, except I do have some rust)

mw
mw HalfDork
4/27/11 1:10 p.m.

I like the 94-97 cars, but would convert back to 1.6 brakes, 1.6 flywheel, and 1.6 interior carpet (much nicer)

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/11 1:18 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Though it might rev quicker after the crank snout breaks off and there's no longer any accessories or balancer to spin...

Well...yeah.

failboat
failboat Reader
4/27/11 1:24 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I love OBD-II, why would you avoid it?

Sometimes I feel like it is out to get me.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/11 1:25 p.m.

I love my 1.6. I will never own a 1.8, they are HORRIBLE, worse in every way!

Duke
Duke SuperDork
4/27/11 1:32 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I love OBD-II, why would you avoid it?

Because at least every 2 years I have to remove my supercharger, intake tract, larger injectors, and standalone engine management, reinstall the stock parts, putt through the emissions and inspection line, then put all the fun bits back on.

If the PO had started with a '94-5, it would not need to be OBD-II compliant and it would be a LOT easier to get inspected.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z6JpDcpvbdeweadMxRT3oEqVG4y8VPdO1bmpcST2n0ZoHyOOy7dB0XEZQA60N7zY