1 2
racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
1/11/17 2:27 p.m.

I picked up a set of 15x9 6ULs for my '93 Miata at a pretty decent price. They look great on the car and don't rub (fenders rolled), but I do have an issue. This a manual steering rack and it is very, very stiff at low speeds. I mean I need a crow bar to turn the wheel. With the 14x6s it felt like a power rack car. The difference is much more than what I expected. It has good grip however.

Anyway, to the question. Has anyone here ever gone from a manual to a power rack? I like the grip and the wheels, but couldn't autocross the car this way. Anything that can be done with suspension settings to help? I tried changing to additional toe out and it helped some, but not enough.

Thoughts?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/11/17 2:39 p.m.

I run 15x9s with 275 hoosiers on my Miata and have power steering, I don't think there are any CSP guys running manual racks. Just too much resistance.

STS and running 205 street tires sure, but not the big tires/wheels.

Unfortunately your '93 is gonna take a beating in classing with those wheels.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/11/17 2:40 p.m.

Wouldn't removing some caster help?

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/17 3:21 p.m.

Can you fit a larger-diameter steering wheel? That can really help. Maybe also bring the wheel closer to you using a spacer or dished wheel (add a quick release if the wheel position and size now interferes with egress).

Just a bit of extra leverage can make a world of difference.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
1/11/17 3:30 p.m.

I may have to give up my 15x9s and run STS, or change to a power rack. Or buy a new car to put on the wheels. I got such a good deal I hate to give them up.

So far I have less than challenge money in my '93, including the wheels, but I do still need to sort the leaking Carreras.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/11/17 3:49 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

If you decide to go ST and part company with the 6ULS, I would be interested. I also have 2 sets of 15x7 wheels we could trade for them if you are interested. 1 set are Kosei K1s and the other are some Enkeis that I keep forgetting the model for. Both sets are pretty light. I'd be very interested in the trade option if that works for you.

What color are they?

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
1/11/17 3:54 p.m.

just add more camber to reduce the contact patch, its what all the kids are doing

NickD
NickD SuperDork
1/11/17 4:22 p.m.

You don't want to run C/SP anyways. Trust me. My car is far from fully prepped for the class (I refer to my car as either STS+ or C/SP Lite), resulting in me raw-timing half the field and then getting stuck at the very back of the pack after PAX

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/17 4:30 p.m.

Go to power steering. You'll get a faster ratio as a bonus so you'll have the potential for quicker steering inputs, and those manual parts (especially the idler pulley if you're an AC car) are getting valuable. Keep in mind that you'll need the inner tie rods as well. Any 1990-97 rack will work.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/11/17 6:26 p.m.

Power rack that has been depowered is what I used on my track NA. But it was 15x8 on 205 Rcomps and I didn't find it a bad on the street or track. But I never auto-X'd that car, or any car for that matter.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/11/17 6:38 p.m.

I've got both a power rack and a larger diameter RX7 steering wheel taking up space in my basement. Let me know if you're interested in either.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/17 7:18 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Power rack that has been depowered is what I used on my track NA. But it was 15x8 on 205 Rcomps and I didn't find it a bad on the street or track. But I never auto-X'd that car, or any car for that matter.

That would be a hell of a workout on an autox course with 15x9s and 225s!

84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/11/17 7:39 p.m.

My rabbit with 235's and no power steering is a great workout. Thank god I don't have to parallel park in race guise.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
1/11/17 9:19 p.m.

Too bad the engine is in the wrong place putting all that weight on the front wheels.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/17 3:15 a.m.

In reply to sesto elemento:

True, but it's only a teeny-weeny four-banger after all ;)

84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/12/17 6:17 a.m.

LOL - a Rabbit and "all that power". If I actually have it right, there it should have 100 wheel hp

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/12/17 6:36 a.m.

I have a power rack that was removed from an NA that was converted to a "R". I bought it with plans to get it to fit in my Volvo. Plans have changed and now it's just taking up space. I'm 99% sure I have the hoses too - free to a good home. Your home sounds really good.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
1/12/17 10:34 a.m.

Ian, I will definitely take you up on the rack. It will be much appreciated. Not sure where you are located but of course will pay all shipping charges.

Duke, depending on how everything goes I will keep the swap in mind as well.

Thanks all for the input!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/12/17 10:40 a.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

Cool. I'm in PA near Philly. I'll pack it up and figure out a shipping estimate to AL.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
1/12/17 11:37 a.m.
NickD wrote: You don't want to run C/SP anyways. Trust me. My car is far from fully prepped for the class (I refer to my car as either STS+ or C/SP Lite), resulting in me raw-timing half the field and then getting stuck at the very back of the pack after PAX

I fall in this too. My car is far from CSP but I autocross in CSP. Do pretty well locally but wouldn't be anywhere competitive on regional or national level. PAX in CSP sucks.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
1/12/17 5:40 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote:
NickD wrote: You don't want to run C/SP anyways. Trust me. My car is far from fully prepped for the class (I refer to my car as either STS+ or C/SP Lite), resulting in me raw-timing half the field and then getting stuck at the very back of the pack after PAX
I fall in this too. My car is far from CSP but I autocross in CSP. Do pretty well locally but wouldn't be anywhere competitive on regional or national level. PAX in CSP sucks.

Saying it sucks is putting it mildly. My only advantage is that I'm the only Street Prepared car that runs in our chapter, so I automatically win Street Prepared.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
1/12/17 7:21 p.m.
cmcgregor wrote: Wouldn't removing some caster help?

I was thinking this, too.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/12/17 8:45 p.m.
NickD wrote:
wlkelley3 wrote:
Saying it sucks is putting it mildly. My only advantage is that I'm the only Street Prepared car that runs in our chapter, so I automatically win Street Prepared.

I have a nats level BSP S2K to contend with. Not only does CSP pax suck but with the "adjustment" to the pax rankings this year it's going to suck even more in 2017. My only solace is that I can get top 10 raw time in a car that I'm into for about 6 grand. In my region anyone else in that territory is at least double that, or even triple.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
1/13/17 5:40 a.m.

I autocrossed a friend's turbo Miata on 15x9s with 225s. It had a depowered rack and it was terrible. The wheel was incredibly heavy, and when you got the car sideways the autocorrect effect of the caster would damn near break your wrists. No thanks.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
1/13/17 8:22 a.m.

I have a NA with 15x9/225 200tw tires and a depowered power steering rack. It's definitely stiff at parking lot speeds, but it's certainly not terrible at autoX speeds. I haven't autoXed it yet, but I'd imagine it is doable, but a little sub-optimal. Increasing caster helps reduce steering effort.

At track speeds it's stiffish, but fine. After doing a couple of stints, I had a chumpcar renter suggest there was no need for the power steering as it added extra weight. Then I explained there wasn't any power steering. :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rP0R03XSSAVAU8VMFMy1eaZi6IZIbfVFIRZq6fydtH6itZloQFuCuYb79h26ueeh