Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/23 6:03 p.m.

I had no idea of the width and breadth of things to make your Miata distinctly yours.

And a lot of it I have no use for.   That being said, I saw this picture and immediately wanted a second Miata.

But I digress.

Meanwhile, I have this gaping hole under the aftermarket single din radio.  Just what can go into that spot and be:

1) Somewhat low buck

2) Actually useful.

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
10/1/23 6:07 p.m.

Every answer I can think of involves a 3D printer. If you're willing to learn how that's done and you can decently model stuff in 3D (OnShape is my recommendation), the sky is the limit. 

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/1/23 6:10 p.m.

I bought a gauge panel and put an analog clock, analog voltmeter, and the wideband O2 sensor gauge below the radio.  I'm not at home so can't post a pic but a web search of "miata din gauge panel" bring up lots of options.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/23 6:47 p.m.

Mazda put a little cubby on some cars, they're handy if you can find one. Iirc the 1.5 unit is thin on the ground and NLA. 

I made my own gauge panel for one car. Simple piece of work out of aluminum and I covered it in vinyl harvested from an extra  door panel. Clock, boost and voltage I think. 

Noddaz
10/1/23 9:04 p.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

Every answer I can think of involves a 3D printer. If you're willing to learn how that's done and you can decently model stuff in 3D (OnShape is my recommendation), the sky is the limit. 

If I had a 3D printer.  But I do know someone that does!

And I had these in the garage:

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/2/23 5:53 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

This might be a case of DIY for the joy of doing it, since there are a bunch of panels available off the shelf.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/2/23 9:04 a.m.

What about this gauge holder from DDM Works?

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
10/2/23 9:48 a.m.

You can do a double din.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/2/23 10:43 a.m.

Pretty sure I have a 3d printed triple gauge lying around somewhere. Currently have the OEM cubby in that spot, though it's shallow enough to be useless

Keith Tanner
10/2/23 11:32 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

An iPod classic fits in there, as does my phone. Well enough to keep them from running around the cabin, anyhow.

Here's my DIY setup. The vinyl makes it look more factory than the aftermarket options.  That's the factory "1 DIN" (it's not quite, but it's close) cubby that was used...I'm not sure when it was used. The factory put a blank plate where the CD player would go on cars with the factory radio.

I also designed and printed this one because I needed a place for some temporary buttons so it had to be a bolt-in :) It would be easy to mount some other things on there, like custom displays or a few USB port.

If you have a 1 DIN aftermarket stereo, you want Mazda part FC02-55-235A . It's a 1.5 DIN cubby that looks to be quite deep - and I thought it was really rare, but it turns out Mazda has them in the warehouse. They just don't have a picture, so let's steal one from Atkins Rotary.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/2/23 12:05 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Weird. When I put my phone there, it manages to be both uncomfortably close to the shift knob AND fall out during enthusiastic driving. I've often thought there was a market for a completely redesigned center console. 

Eliminate the cup holders (or relocate to the passenger's side), make the center storage area and armrest gigantic/useable. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/2/23 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

Found the 3D printed thing. It's yours for the cost of shipping if you want it.

Keith Tanner
10/2/23 12:22 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

My phone is unfashionably compact, maybe that's part of it :)

There are redesigned center consoles. Some are JDM and thus covered in many details and styled to look like some alternate reality old British style, but IL has a fairly normal one that is basically exactly what you described.

https://mossmiata.com/905-265-redesigned-center-console-by-il-motorsport

Personally, I think the idea of moving the HVAC controls down low and putting a touchscreen above them in the tombstone is a pretty nice update. I don't think anyone has done an STL or produced the parts, this one looks like it's modified stock parts.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/2/23 12:36 p.m.

I've seen that Moss one before. Anyone have any real life experience? Is that indented area padded for your elbow?

Agreed with inverting the HVAC controls. I like the idea of the 3 gauge cluster, but having it so low makes it borderline useless, which is why I ended up with the 90's boy racer a-pillar pods

Keith Tanner
10/3/23 10:25 p.m.

I don't think the indented area is padded, but that would be easy to arrange and would look pretty stock. One of my NAs has a glued-on padded top on the center console, makes it very comfy. 

But I came here to post this :)

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
10/3/23 10:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to calteg :

There are redesigned center consoles. Some are JDM and thus covered in many details and styled to look like some alternate reality old British style, but IL has a fairly normal one that is basically exactly what you described.

https://mossmiata.com/905-265-redesigned-center-console-by-il-motorsport

I'm waiting for a console like this for the NB.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
10/3/23 10:36 p.m.

At first glance that looks like one of these:

Noddaz
10/4/23 8:33 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

Thank you, but I will pass on that.

Noddaz
10/4/23 6:15 p.m.

A thought.  Depending on how far back there is room for it might be nice to cobble together an inductive phone charger.  Slip the phone in the slot whilst driving with no cords flapping in the wind.  No plug in adapter for the lighter socket.  All could be right with the world.

Keith Tanner
10/4/23 9:32 p.m.

There's a fair bit of depth - enough for a full depth head unit. There's power back there as well, it's easy to tap into the cigarette lighter. Cool project. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wNDAVSclXf6j5j3swkIJ9hFZ6wupnmAGYeq0FolkBN0fMAL24rP8soRBnqJxFkvu