jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
2/16/23 1:58 p.m.

on Sunday I did a time attack and had a good day.  Until I heard a thunk. but everything seemed fine so I figured I hit some debris.

When I came around the corner on the next lap I saw something very pretty sitting in the middle of track.  It was a beautiful orange shock canister in the middle of the road  

Ah, some poor soul lost an important little bit   And then it dawned on me what I had heard on the previous lap  

after the next session they let me out to retrieve it  

I blame the knucklehead who installed it and will be making sure he pays the bill. 

It's the same guy who decided to keep driving it and not waste a track day and got 3rd in class with the top three all within one second of each other. So it wasn't the worst day but ughhhh

I knew it probably wouldn't be cheap. unfortunately my estimate was low.  

these are Motons and there are only two authorized service centers  and they don't sell parts to anyone else.  They are quoting me around $1000 to replace the canister, hose and assemble  

I talked to a quasi-local suspension guy who can do the work but can't get the missing knobs  

wondering if anyone has any connections or anyone I can call to see about getting replacement knobs??   They are the black knurled pieces as seen on the one that was kind enough not to jump ship:

I think and hope the canister might be salvageable.  I'd rather not have a munged-up piece like that but if it saves me $500 or more, I'll swallow my pride.   The knob shafts all turn smooth and I think I can straighten the bent knob pin mount. 
the rest doesn't look deformed but just rashy.  

Just hoping someone knows a suspension guy who might have some moton parts from other builds....   my local guy can't find any but there are a lot of connections here so maybe I won't have to send them in and write that not-small check

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
2/16/23 2:34 p.m.

knob

Looks like a common stereo equipment knob.  What is special about the hose?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/16/23 2:55 p.m.

I had these on my 2nd ACR 1K USD seams dirt cheap for all the work if they do a recharge and check of the shock on a dyno for you. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
2/16/23 5:50 p.m.

$1k seems like a deal.  

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/16/23 6:02 p.m.

For all the parts and labor, yeah, $1k doesn't sound too bad.

And I just have to ask...the damper broke mid-lap and you didn't notice a difference in the car's handling?

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/16/23 7:29 p.m.

OK, put me in the camp of 1k to fix a canister on a single shock being Ouch levels of suck.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bQXozm9FKsmK72pQctqRPhaC3cxiEYOAxrX6PIkUcqSJxgNWhZLsZRSMivDpxPpj