singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/13/23 1:38 p.m.

So my challenge 94 crown vic that I bought with the aid of many GRMers (thanks gang!) came with a Mark VIII 4.6L 32v and a T45 manual transmission. It has never run quite right. I am planning to see if I can sort out why regardless but want to make sure that doesn't hang me up for this years Challenge. That leads me to my donor crown vic. It is a 2010 with a very healthy PI 2v motor and a bad transmission. I bought it to frame swap the 94 and move the 4v and manual over to the new frame. Ideally, I want to retain the 2010 electronics to allow for the use of HP tuners and just a better control system. Basically, I am questioning if I just leave the 2v in the frame, swap over the manual and drop on the 94 body or do what I originally planned and hope that I can figure out what is wrong with the 4v and make the newer ECU happy with the 4v motor. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/13/23 1:52 p.m.

Megasquirt!

Because challenge.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/13/23 4:44 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

Not really the question at hand. Also, I can use the Ford stuff without a budget hit. A megasquirt will be at least $200 and a ton of tuning. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/13/23 5:23 p.m.

Not sure but a PI 2v is about the same useable power in a car that big as a 4v 4.6.  The 4v didn't come alive until 5500 rpm and has a 7200 rpm fuel cut.  It was cool but annoying at the same time.  It has me really appreciating GMs add more cubic inches philosophy.  

If the PI motor runs right, I'd mate it to the 5spd and add as much lightness as possible as a starting point.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/23 5:32 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

the Mark VIII engine is a different beast from the Cobra engine.

I think you will be happier with the 2v for all sorts of reasons.  I like the 4vs but the Lincoln version isn't all that terribly great compared to later 2vs.  Its main advantage besides looking impressive is the aluminum block.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/13/23 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yeah, the lighter block is appealing for sure. I might try to save the 4v for a higher power build. Internet lore leads me to believe that it is a great place to start if I want 800 hp. Below that, a mild port job and cams on a 2v is better. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/13/23 7:25 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I think that HP Tuners would allow me to adjust some of the tuning shortcomings of the 4v but without some new valve springs, it isn't spinning that high. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/13/23 9:29 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

I know but the eec of that era is absolute garbage. Tons of tuning? No. It's a stock 4v. There are maps out there.

But back at hand, do the runner controls work properly?  But to be honest, I'd get some continental "c" heads and an aviator intake and eliminate the runner controls. I'd then still try to find some 99 cobra cams squirreled away on someone's shelf.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/13/23 9:52 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

Oh, I have very little interest in keeping the 90s ECU. I am thinking that if I do use the 4v motor, I will swap everything from the 2v over that I can to have the 2010 ecu run it. The EEC IV is getting binned. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/13/23 10:15 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

I'd be worried about a corrupt can bus message with the newer eec.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/23 6:41 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

The 4v computer probably does not have what we think of as CAN, if it has any networking at all it is probably a low grade communication protocol with the GEM.

If you are using all of the newer vehicle's electricals, you'd WANT to use the newer computer.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/14/23 6:55 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I said newer meaning the '10. I know the '94 is obd1 and with the business death of moates, means it's just junk now.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/14/23 7:06 a.m.

I would keep it simple and swap the manual transmission over.  If you are already having tuning trouble then moving that old wiring harness to a new car isn't going to do you or it any favors. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
2/14/23 7:10 a.m.

I feel like the 4v engine could be finacially converted into turbo(s) relatively easily 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BBwyOxM2mbqZVICA51c49KBQ58iki7m4hyCPRLsbhgqpHQ8X9Lu46LsppHx7JXck