1 2 3 4
rotard
rotard Reader
8/8/11 4:32 p.m.

I don't miss my ACR Coupe. Neons are almost universally treated as disposable cars. ZX2? Maybe not so much.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
8/8/11 6:54 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Neon or ZX2 is pretty much a pick em, I think. Buy the one with the least rust and miles that looks the best. ZX2 won't bend valves when the belt or pump fails, the Neon will. Clutch is easier in a Neon.

There you go in a nut shell.

Which one you gettin?

mcompton1973
mcompton1973 New Reader
8/8/11 10:52 p.m.

I think we are going to get the Neon. its a 98. 5spd. base model...no anything as far as options. needs some help...drivers door is messed up...the latches...i think on the door side. you really have to slam it and you have to use outside handle to open.

Also going to have to do some work on the suspension...the ride is crappy...a few other things like that...(remove brushed aluminum looking rear spoiler...). I think we are going to get it for 1200 though...so that gives us some room to work on it some more.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
8/8/11 11:11 p.m.

$1200 for a 98 nneon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2008 mazda5 I will sell you right now for $40K

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
8/9/11 4:44 a.m.

If its not rusty I dont see why $1200 is too much for a neon. I gave up on buying them because i couldn't get ahold of the owners of any of the ones on craigslist under $2500 before they were gone. Other than the CV joints being NLA, and really uncomfortable seats in the earlier ones, I don't think they are bad cars. Once the value of most of them decreased below what the dealer charges for a timing belt change that kinda got rid of most of them though. I rarely see them anymore now.

dsycks
dsycks Reader
8/9/11 5:24 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
dsycks wrote: I see Neons killing in Lemons racing but ZX2s seem to be buried in the pack. Neon > ZX2.
That's lemons, taking that series as any indication of a "stock" cars abilities is laughable. Now, if you had said ChumpCar, I'd still disagree (if you looked at the Calgary and Spokane results this year)

Why in the world would anyone care what the "stock" abilities are. This is a GRM forum right? I sort of thought folks were interested in capability.

As for Spokane and Calgary, no idea what was run vs what or what the results were but as has been pointed out by others, the Neon sure does seem to have the ability to do more with less. Just find a good example and enjoy.

dsycks
dsycks Reader
8/9/11 5:33 a.m.

I would also point out that the Mazda/Ford 2.5 V6 makes just pure giggidy noise once opened up. We are talking glorious, crazy, I want one JUST for the sound track sort of scream.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
8/9/11 6:03 a.m.

From your description Neons around here are about 800 bucks (tops). Pay what you want, but I think you are getting hosed.

Still have that $40K Mazda5 if your interested.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
8/9/11 6:15 a.m.
dsycks wrote: I would also point out that the Mazda/Ford 2.5 V6 makes just pure giggidy noise once opened up. We are talking glorious, crazy, I want one JUST for the sound track sort of scream.

It's a bizarre sort of banshee-wail that you'd never expect to hear out of a car with a mazda or ford badge...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
8/9/11 7:00 a.m.

I'm late to the party, but I vote Neon. If the water pump, timing belt, and head gasket are done, you can drive it with no worries. Decent performance and good economy. And a clean coupe is a nice-looking car, IMO.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
8/9/11 9:26 a.m.

I knew I had seen this thread before.

mcompton1973
mcompton1973 New Reader
8/9/11 9:29 a.m.

Locally, you can not buy a car that runs for $800. It might be because we are in Nebraska and rust takes a lot of cars off the road to an early grave....so does bad driving in the snow...hahaha.

I think it is a good deal.

I will keep you posted as he tries to reclaim this lil car and see what he can make out of it...

element6
element6 New Reader
8/9/11 7:44 p.m.

whichever car can fit the most girls.... he IS around that age.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
8/9/11 8:29 p.m.
element6 wrote: whichever car can fit the most girls.... he IS around that age.

The neon coupe did have the largest backseat in it's class!

corby_baby
corby_baby New Reader
8/9/11 8:58 p.m.

miata

rotard
rotard Reader
8/10/11 12:23 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote:

Yeah, because being an enthusiast that tells people how awesome his Neon really is will get him laid!

gunman_sr5
gunman_sr5
8/10/11 8:44 a.m.

I picked up my bare bones 98 zx2 for $2k back in05 it had 109k on the clock. It now has 287k on it. I am averaging 38 mg and can have fun doing it. I have put two motors in only due to flood damage. I am running full bolt on and have outran many mustang gts. So it is quick. Now i did kill one transmission but my clutch was out of adjustment causing me to break the 3/4 shift fork. These things are very easy to maintain.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/11 9:30 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote:

does that make up for the handcranked windows for the backdoors?

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/10/11 9:53 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
MCarp22 wrote:
does that make up for the handcranked windows for the backdoors?

A) It's a coupe, and B) I could reach all 4 window cranks from the driver's seat of my ACR sedan. The lack of power windows bothered me about >< that much.

mad_machine
8/10/11 10:13 a.m.

cars with all 4 cranks is fine... but I remember being in several neons that had ONLY the front windows powered and the rears cranked..

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
8/10/11 10:31 a.m.

ZX2.

I hate both cars, so you know my opinion is unbiased.

mad_machine
8/10/11 10:33 a.m.

looks alone.. I would take the ZX2.. based on previous expernience with Chrysler and Ford Products.. I would again take the ZX2

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/10/11 10:59 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: cars with all 4 cranks is fine... but I remember being in several neons that had ONLY the front windows powered and the rears cranked..

When my Dad was stationed in Germany he bought an 83 SAAB 900s new and it had power windows up front and crank in the back. I always thought that was strange.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/10/11 3:17 p.m.

Yeah, it's cheap, but so what? The Neon was a cheap car. A lot of people got exercised about the back windows being cranks, but to me it was zip-zero-nada of an issue. Frankly I think people use it as another layer of rationalization to hate Neons. I mean it's fine to hate the car because you hate it, but don't bother with trivialities like that.

mcompton1973
mcompton1973 New Reader
8/10/11 5:45 p.m.

Well he got the Neon. I will attach a pic...this is as we picked it up last night. Already today we have removed the horrible ricer fin on the back.

It has some different wheels. They are 16" wheels that look like they might have been take offs from something else because of the dodge ram logo on the center caps.

The exhaust is all redone from the cat back....has a fart pipe but not an obnoxious one.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WlLyVFMp3zLY22lRbzvoOuDI9I6q4phSXnQw8YQKMdBTMWDA8fSpTy0O2c8xOzUS