1 2 3 4 ... 7
novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
8/2/12 8:17 p.m.
ArthurDent wrote: Man that Camaro looks like a bloated mess next to that MR2.

i was thinking that the MR2 looks adorable next to a real car... but that's probably why i'll never really truly "fit in" on this site..

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
8/2/12 8:42 p.m.

New Mustangs and new Camaros don't have much appeal to me at all. I usually get a kick of looking at the drivers of these cars when I see them out and about. I feel sorta bad for them because they don't know what they are missing driving those types of cars. Then I tell myself to get over myself and realize they can like and drive whatever they choose to.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/2/12 8:55 p.m.

The Boss 302 and Laguna Seca are incredible machines, if the 1LE can really beat both of those around VIR by 4.5 seconds, it must be something else...

Cotton
Cotton Dork
8/2/12 10:36 p.m.
T.J. wrote: New Mustangs and new Camaros don't have much appeal to me at all. I usually get a kick of looking at the drivers of these cars when I see them out and about. I feel sorta bad for them because they don't know what they are missing driving those types of cars. Then I tell myself to get over myself and realize they can like and drive whatever they choose to.

You don't know what else they have in the garage. I have cars with both great and horrible visibility....they're all fun though.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
8/2/12 10:46 p.m.
dj06482 wrote: The Boss 302 and Laguna Seca are incredible machines, if the 1LE can really beat both of those around VIR by 4.5 seconds, it must be something else...

So the 1LE allegedly ran a 2:58. Which is ~0.5 second slower then a 08 gen IV viper, which sounds off, and is allegedly faster then a V10 R8 by ~1.5 seconds.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/12 10:59 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: First off, I can't stand the analogy to Phelps. Making a 19 time olympic medalist sound "washed up" while he's still earning medals is stupid. What has this journalist accomplished? In any case, he left out the most important thing.......can you fit inside the Camaro 1LE with a helmet on? In the standard car my helmet is constantly hitting the headliner, forcing me to drive with my head cocked. (yes, I know, I just said cocked) I'm 5'8" on a good day, and although I sit fairly close to the wheel, and pretty upright, the lack of headroom completely destroys the Camaro for me as a multi-purpose daily / track car. I suppose I could rip the headliner out, and mount a racing seat to the floor.......but should that be needed? I need more info before I make a judgement. I've driven the Boss Laguna Seca, and it is an amazing machine. Still too damn big, but an amazing machine nonetheless.

The head room issue is a deal (err... dream) breaker for me as well. I am 6'2" with a lot of my height from my ass up and I drive like a 1970s NASCAR driver (straight up and down with my gut on the wheel). I wish the Camaro was taller inside, it's not... too bad for both me AND GM.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
8/2/12 11:26 p.m.
You don't know what else they have in the garage

Aint that the truth.

Ive thought about getting a sticker for my 63hp Honda Insight that says:

"My other car is 14 other cars"

But id have to write the number in dry erase because it changes a lot.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/3/12 5:51 a.m.
Vigo wrote: Ive thought about getting a sticker for my 63hp Honda Insight that says: "My other car is 14 other cars" But id have to write the number in dry erase because it changes a lot.

That right there is quote worthy!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
8/3/12 6:03 a.m.

I'm going to have a bumper sticker made for the MSM that says "My other car is a salvage MX6."

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/3/12 6:42 a.m.

I actually think the Camaro looks Ok however it along with the Mustang and Challenger are just too porky for me and not by just a little either. I am talking 500-1000 lbs porky. I recently rode in a friends Hemi Challenger and thought is was a very nice car but the feeling a heft was so great I could never see owning one. Though performance wise they would get blown away by this trio and of course aren't V8s I much prefer the Toybaru twins.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
8/3/12 6:50 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: ^ Sweet AW11 parked next to it

I think I already told this story, but that MR-2 once belonged to the guy that bought my black Spec V. It's now owned by one of the other mechanical engineers in my group. He fixed it up pretty well and even says he'll bring it to the next autocross that I go to. It has a slightly warmed-over engine in it.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/3/12 7:22 a.m.

Here's the VIR video:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/30/watch-chevys-camaro-1le-lap-vir-in-2-58-34/

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
8/3/12 7:59 a.m.
T.J. wrote: New Mustangs and new Camaros don't have much appeal to me at all. I usually get a kick of looking at the drivers of these cars when I see them out and about. I feel sorta bad for them because they don't know what they are missing driving those types of cars.

I own a late model Mustang and I've had decades of sports cars and light cars, as well as full size luxury cars and pickups. I'm not missing a damn thing and yes, you do need to get over yourself becuase you're acting like a judgemental, closed minded idiot, and I'd hope this board hasn't turned into that.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
8/3/12 8:01 a.m.

Im not a huge fan of the new Camaro but this one looks pretty mean and is no doubt fast as hell. It would be a hard call between this and a boss for me.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/3/12 8:23 a.m.
I own a late model Mustang and I've had decades of sports cars and light cars, as well as full size luxury cars and pickups. I'm not missing a damn thing and yes, you do need to get over yourself becuase you're acting like a judgemental, closed minded idiot, and I'd hope this board hasn't turned into that.

Amen. Remember, opinions are like shiny happy people - eveyone has one. The fact that this site is inclusive of everything from Ferrari's to Yugos, GP to roundy-round, Toybarus to Camaros is much of what makes it cool.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
8/3/12 8:52 a.m.
Cotton wrote:
T.J. wrote: New Mustangs and new Camaros don't have much appeal to me at all. I usually get a kick of looking at the drivers of these cars when I see them out and about. I feel sorta bad for them because they don't know what they are missing driving those types of cars. Then I tell myself to get over myself and realize they can like and drive whatever they choose to.
You don't know what else they have in the garage. I have cars with both great and horrible visibility....they're all fun though.

Exactly. I've always preferred small, light cars for autocross. But I grew up on muscle cars and also love them. I have to admit that I picked a '65 Mustang because it was 4-500 lbs lighter than a Camaro, but it's also flimsier! Here's another thing. I'm getting older. When I drive my CRX on my 30 mile trip to work, it beats me to death. For a DD I now WANT something bigger and heavier. I've driven a new Mustang, and while it rides stiff compared to some other cars, it rides like a Caddy compared to my CRX. It's also much easier to get in and out of, and it has many more amenities, features that add weight but that I want in a car. So as you say, you don't know what else people have in their garage, but everyone also has different motivations for what they buy.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
8/3/12 8:56 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: I actually think the Camaro looks Ok however it along with the Mustang and Challenger are just too porky for me and not by just a little either. I am talking 500-1000 lbs porky. I recently rode in a friends Hemi Challenger and thought is was a very nice car but the feeling a heft was so great I could never see owning one. Though performance wise they would get blown away by this trio and of course aren't V8s I much prefer the Toybaru twins.

Not that it would change your mind, but if you drove a new Mustang you'd be surprised at how much it doesn't feel porky. I've driven a Challenger and feel the same as you, but the Mustang feels much lighter than it is. I haven't driven a Camaro so I can't comment on that.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
8/3/12 9:07 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: In any case, he left out the most important thing.......can you fit inside the Camaro 1LE with a helmet on? In the standard car my helmet is constantly hitting the headliner, forcing me to drive with my head cocked. (yes, I know, I just said cocked) I'm 5'8" on a good day, and although I sit fairly close to the wheel, and pretty upright, the lack of headroom completely destroys the Camaro for me as a multi-purpose daily / track car. I suppose I could rip the headliner out, and mount a racing seat to the floor.......but should that be needed?

That makes me happy I'm a shorty mcshorty-pants. I've finally found a reason for my shortness to be an advantage.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/3/12 9:24 a.m.

Remember when GM used bloated plastic in all of it's interiors? Pontiac was the worst, with orange lighting. PUKE! There is still a lot of that going on in the Camaro. The HVAC knobs were designed by Fisher Price. Retro instrument binnacles are just stupid and ugly. Why are there tiny gauges below my knees? What happened to the shifter...is that a black softball? Do you want to look at that all day?

I could look out over that day after day. Great shifter, nice instrumentation, classy and timeless.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/3/12 9:29 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: So as you say, you don't know what else people have in their garage, but everyone also has different motivations for what they buy.

Exactly! If the guy was in a Camry none of us would look twice, but for some reason we have should look down on someone commuting in a 400hp RWD muscle car just because it's heavy? No way! That's awesome!

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/3/12 10:10 a.m.

The dash is E36 M3ty in the camaro, but the seats are generally better than the mustang.....whereas everything else in the mustang is generally better than the camaro. The challenger is pretty much useless due to size and weight(nearly 2 tons and the size of a short bus?!?!?), the mustang is still the smallest and lightest of the group( haven't they always been?)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/3/12 10:46 a.m.

I wouldn't have the Camaro over a Boss. I don't think I would enjoy the Camaro due to the vision or looks. But in reality, they just aren't my cup of tea at all.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
8/3/12 10:57 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
bravenrace wrote: So as you say, you don't know what else people have in their garage, but everyone also has different motivations for what they buy.
Exactly! If the guy was in a Camry none of us would look twice, but for some reason we have should look down on someone commuting in a 400hp RWD muscle car just because it's heavy? No way! That's awesome!

You agree with me? Really? Or was that an application for the missing sarcasm emoticon?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
8/3/12 10:58 a.m.

When I first saw the Challenger, I thought it was awesome. Then I got close to one and realized how big it was. If they hadn't designed it on that big car platform and made it a bit smaller, it might be my favorite of the three.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
8/3/12 11:10 a.m.

They're both retro junk. They may be fast, but they look just like they did 45-50 years ago. Only fatter. With electronic nannies.

I wonder how fast they'd be without all those stupid creature comforts and active this and adaptive that...

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M0HKiP2UmxPrMl7qrTm5sgZwyYtEqCmJuJnmyBMZV8DpAy4r5l0V3Fe2aNO7gDNJ